Elise

For the preppers: What made you first get involved in prepping?

105 posts in this topic

I can't help but feel that I was a prepper long before I even knew what the world of "prepping" was about.

As a kid in elementary school, I was often the one who would run to my backpack to quickly grab a Bandaid whenever I noticed someone had gotten a cut. I'd keep extra pens, pencils, erasers, and other stationery, tissue paper, money, etc. just in case I or anyone else around me needed anything during the day. I would always be sure I had more than enough of whatever I might need on me - extra for others, and never forgot to "restock" at home if my supply was getting low.

I do feel as though this attitude made my segue into being a "true" prepper easier. Without such a "try to be ready for anything that'll happen during the day" attitude, there's a chance I may have missed seeing the good that prepping can do for a person - whether that's through a personal hard time, a natural disaster, or even a full-fledged economic crisis or other such emergency.

When I fist got involved in prepping, my new plans were a seamless addition to my "well I'm just trying to get even more prepared for the day" attitude. I already had a food stockpile going, I already did my best to carry everything on me I might need, transitioning over to being a prepper just meant that I learned about more things I could do and have to be more prepared.

It really wasn't a huge moment for me, or any particular event that swung me one way or another - just happened naturally I guess you could say.

What about you guys? What were your first days as a "true" prepper like? What made you get into it in the first place? Was it an event, or did you, like me, "transition" into being a prepper from just wanting to be well-prepared for the day?

I grew up in Southern California in the 1980s when there were constantly stories about how "The Big One" was supposed to hit and we would all be off grid for at least a week. While my parents did not take that too seriously, they did lay in some supplies. When I was an adult I moved out to the midwest and my first winter showed me that snow is real and it gets cold out here, plus I rediscovered a love of camping and floating on rivers. Much of the gear used for these kinds of things end up working very well with prepping. 

I think a lot of people are kind of born with it, maybe it's the life style they grow up in, or maybe something is just there. I am not saying people can't come into it late , but somehow I just think it's there deep inside at the start.

Norm.

I think a lot of people are kind of born with it, maybe it's the life style they grow up in, or maybe something is just there. I am not saying people can't come into it late , but somehow I just think it's there deep inside at the start.

I do really feel this rings true, actually. I feel like it's something that more often grows in people - and that it is much easier to start with than to develop later on in life.

Edit: But hey, that seems to be true of most things (habits, priorities, etc.)!

Edited by Elise

yeah , I have talked to people in the past about this, they take on board what you are saying, make all the right answers, but as they walk away I know they won't do anything.Where as with some others you just know will start to prepare something, they kind of show some spark that you know will grow.

Norm.

Honestly, I don't self identify as a prepper.

It just common sense to me, and the way I was raised.

I don't like to be inconvenienced or uncomfortable, so I just do things to prevent that from happening.

I'm a preventer, I guess.

Edited by Justin Pierce
Fat finger spelling test fail.

For me it was something more simpler, about 5 years ago during a major storm in London, the electricity and water supply went for 5 days over the Easter period. I was totally unprepared over that period. Unable to cook, clean over that time really showed me how unprepared I was during a crisis.

Edited 22 hours ago by Justin Pierce 
Fat finger spelling test fail.

Just wanted to say how much I love that description lol.

Unable to cook, clean over that time really showed me how unprepared I was during a crisis.

What was the first thing you changed/invested in after that experience?

For me, growing up on a farm in Southwestern Ontario we were always putting feed away for the animals or caning vegetables for a later use for our selves, let's not forget the meat, milk, and at one point eggs, that all came from our land. The next experience that would push me on was when I joined a cadet program at 12 years old and after a couple of years was able to attend air crew survival course and next the Survival Instructors Corse. At this point now in my life I am currently employed at a firearms dealer where I am exposed to many types of survival firearms and other neat survival / prepping items. So from all this it just kinda makes sense to me to be prepared. Just lately I have started to explore my options for EDC items, although I have never really been without a knife of some sort.

Boy Scouts, Hunter, Army SERE instructor...kinda always been in me. My most recent resurgence in honing past skills is realization of the fragile nature of our electricity & the thin veneer of civilized behavior

I've always been a person that never relied on others.  I have always felt that no one has my best interests in mind but me.  if something were to happen my life is in my hands so i better be ready to save my butt.   

I decided to get a swedish army trangia cookset. I also bought a portable cooker and heater which uses gas canisters. I also decided to buy a stash of bottled water to keep in a emergency.

I've always been a person that never relied on others.  I have always felt that no one has my best interests in mind but me.  if something were to happen my life is in my hands so i better be ready to save my butt.   

I feel the same way!

For me, growing up on a farm in Southwestern Ontario we were always putting feed away for the animals or caning vegetables for a later use for our selves, let's not forget the meat, milk, and at one point eggs, that all came from our land. The next experience that would push me on was when I joined a cadet program at 12 years old and after a couple of years was able to attend air crew survival course and next the Survival Instructors Corse. At this point now in my life I am currently employed at a firearms dealer where I am exposed to many types of survival firearms and other neat survival / prepping items. So from all this it just kinda makes sense to me to be prepared. Just lately I have started to explore my options for EDC items, although I have never really been without a knife of some sort.

I grew up on a major city (8mil+), I often wonder how different I would be if I had been outdoorsy as a child...

I decided to get a swedish army trangia cookset. I also bought a portable cooker and heater which uses gas canisters. I also decided to buy a stash of bottled water to keep in a emergency.

All solid options, we don't stockpile water here (we are in Canada) because its everywhere but gas canister powered heaters are invaluable in my opinion!

It started with me about 5 years ago, sure I grew up in rural Oklahoma so I fished, camped, hunted. I got a job working closely with my communities fire department and started to realized that I knew nothing. I hated the feeling of not being prepared so I started to prepare. I know work in Critical Infrastructure Protection and now feel more than ever I need to even be more prepared.

It started with me about 5 years ago, sure I grew up in rural Oklahoma so I fished, camped, hunted. I got a job working closely with my communities fire department and started to realized that I knew nothing. I hated the feeling of not being prepared so I started to prepare. I know work in Critical Infrastructure Protection and now feel more than ever I need to even be more prepared.

Did you immediately start to work on being more prepared once you got a job working closely with the community fire department? Like no break, no hesitation on where to start - just started?

For me what really hit it home was after the nuclear power plant in Japan went a few years back. There was a presentation from a professor and he consults for countries when they want to build a plant. He resurches what the worst case scenario for that area. He always recommends to with stand an earthquake of 10 which I think is the worst. He told us not rely on the government for support. The Japanese government couldn't help it's own people and the are always running drills and making sure there is enough for its people. We have a power plant here in Ontario and they want to build a new one. Our records show we have only had a 5.6 earthquake in the past 100 or so years. He has told the government that is only as far as the info is kept. To prove them wrong he rented a sub and looked at the plates in the St. Lawrence. He has found shifting of the plates that are equivalent to a 7.1 earthquake. Makes you think. that is part of my drinking water. I have to find his name and pass it on. Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I'm new to the site but I'm a veteran who the more I watch and listen the more concerned I am.

For me what really hit it home was after the nuclear power plant in Japan went a few years back. There was a presentation from a professor and he consults for countries when they want to build a plant. He resurches what the worst case scenario for that area. He always recommends to with stand an earthquake of 10 which I think is the worst. He told us not rely on the government for support. The Japanese government couldn't help it's own people and the are always running drills and making sure there is enough for its people. We have a power plant here in Ontario and they want to build a new one. Our records show we have only had a 5.6 earthquake in the past 100 or so years. He has told the government that is only as far as the info is kept. To prove them wrong he rented a sub and looked at the plates in the St. Lawrence. He has found shifting of the plates that are equivalent to a 7.1 earthquake. Makes you think. that is part of my drinking water. I have to find his name and pass it on. Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I do feel like earthquakes are very unlikely to happen in Ontario, so I'm not as worried about that as I am about flooding.

A few years back my parent's entire basement flooded - as well as the vast majority of the basements of the homes in their neighbourhood, and really, a lot of the basements in the city of Toronto as well. That was bad, but I can't help but feel Toronto's going to have to deal with worse sooner or later.

The sewage system is way too small and they keep packing people into the city without making the storm drains or sewage systems larger. It's a recipe for disaster. Reports like this are not uncommon these days:

When the rain hit the city, it had nowhere to go. Roughly 50% of the city’s surfaces are impervious (roads, sidewalks, parking lots and rooftops). Those areas could not absorb the rain, so it flowed into storm drains. When all that stormwater combined with sewage (i.e., wastewater from toilets, dishwashers, sinks, washing machines, commercial businesses and industry), it overwhelmed two of Toronto’s sewage treatment plants.

[...]

During the storm, media and social media reports showed Torontonians immersed in the floodwaters. People waded through flooding to escape the Don River Valley and splashed in flooded parks. 

And things are only bound to get worse as we seem to be getting a lot more humidity and precipitation in recent years. Huge cause for concern, imo.

The government is necessary, but no, it doesn't usually do the best job of taking care of worst case scenarios.

I'm new to the site but I'm a veteran who the more I watch and listen the more concerned I am.

Feels like it's the same with pretty much all of us. There's a lot to be concerned about.

I was part of that flooding in Toronto. Lost a lot. Just did the sewer back flow valve to help stop it. Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I was part of that flooding in Toronto. Lost a lot. Just did the sewer back flow valve to help stop it. Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I missed it, I came to Toronto (from the UK) in 2011. How much damage was done in the end?

I've been through a couple earthquakes and three hurricanes, but I'm concerned about the government caused emergency. Jade Helm is a concern. I spent 11 years in the military and we had towns built on post for training.

The basement wasn't finished. It was more photos and things that can't be replaced Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Did you immediately start to work on being more prepared once you got a job working closely with the community fire department? Like no break, no hesitation on where to start - just started?

Once I had that Oh crap moment I have never stopped I try do something every day that has something to do with prepping. 

I've been through a couple earthquakes and three hurricanes, but I'm concerned about the government caused emergency. Jade Helm is a concern. I spent 11 years in the military and we had towns built on post for training.

I was creeped out by Jadehelm and the lack of official reasoning behind the "exercises" and I am not even American.

Makes sense!

Yeah those were bad days. I remember taking pictures of the water pile up on the street - which looked like a river from just how much flood water there was. My family grabbed buckets to try to dump the water leaking into the basement outside and maybe save a thing or two. The whole basement still needed to be redone. Terrible stuff.

The basement wasn't finished. It was more photos and things that can't be replaced Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

That really sucks. =/. You can't claim those things easily from home insurance either. Not that money would be able to buy replacements for those kinds of things..

Once I had that Oh crap moment I have never stopped I try do something every day that has something to do with prepping. 

That's really good! A lot of people still dilly dally for a while making excuses about it "not being the right time" or the like. At least you started straight away and kept the momentum going. 5 years and still strong is excellent!