Survival Threads
Elise

For the preppers: What made you first get involved in prepping?

I see this is an old thread but it seems worth carrying on. I loved Robinson Crusoe and Swiss Family Robinson when I was a kid, and they must have planted some seeds. My grandparents on my mother's side had bee raised LDS (Mormon) but they left the church before my mom and her brothers were born. Still, some vestiges of preparedness ideas stayed in the family.

That grandfather was a scientist who worked on inventing the atom bomb at Los Alamos, and that left the family keenly aware of what could happen.

Guess I always thought weird things could happen, partly since my dad wrote science fiction and talked about some of the scenarios that ended up in his stories.

• Upvote 1

My mom gardened and put up produced, and several times, that was all that saved us, cause Dad often couldnt find work. I read "tunnel in the sky" by Heinlein when I was 14, about then, Brad Angier's works. I've read almost all survival books since.  I never laughed so hard as when I read Mel Tappan's survival guns book.  32 guns "needed, including his and hers o/u shotguns for quail! 100k worth of guns, be 1/2 million $ worth in today's money. Mel said he'd rather have a 308 auto and 5000 rds and no other gun than all the others combined and no 308 auto. He was nuts. a paraplegic, 300 lb diabetic in a wheelchair. As if you would not be WAY ahead with a sound suppressed AR in 223, with a .22lr conversion unit and a 9mm.  He had pages about why you wanted a .177 pellet rifle, xbow, cb caps and why you didn't want full-auto for shtf, but not one WORD about sound suppressors.

• Upvote 1

My first exposure to the need to prep came a few years ago. My family lives in a block of flats in central London, UK. One day there was a fire in the basement of the block of flats. That destroyed the pump that delivers water to all the flats in the block and the power distribution equipment. For a week afterwards we had no water and no power. Fortunately we still had gas for cooking with otherwise we'd have been really screwed.

After the power was reconnected I realised a few things:

1. No-one cares more about your family's safety than you. Relying on others, whether that's local or regional authorities, is crazy. You have to take responsibility for yourself.
  2. People get really aggressive really quickly when the systems they depend on stop working. Within a day there were several times when fights almost broke out when frustrated people got angry with each other. And this was a fairly minor interruption, all things considered.
  3. Being able to tell your family that there's no need to freak out and you have options like a gas stove, canned food and flashlights makes a huge difference.

Since then I've taken prepping more seriously for when something similar happens again, but this time on a much larger scale.

As I became more aware of all the possible types of crisis I started worrying about my family. I just want to keep everyone as safe and comfortable as possible.

• Upvote 2

Got into this life years ago. Back in 2012. Did SF for my country 06-2010. Did High Risk Security after in the conflict zone known as Chiraq. Forced into an Emergency Relocation in 2015; after visiting NC for a few days the year before. Emergency Relocation occurred after I got fed up of the arrogance and selfishness/no sense of comraderie or community in that area and after getting tired of the MULTIPLE REPEATED Rights Violations, Attempted Theft and Attacks in my then home.

I too (like many on this forum) seem to have been a born prepper ! all my life from my earliest memories I have always had an interest in Survival especially. I was lucky to live in a rural environment (back in the days when it was safe for kids to go roaming) and we had an abundance of woodland very close to my home. I would spend what seemed like an eternity now, building dens and even trying to trap animals (without much success).

My biggest inspiration that made me take Survival and eventually Prepping to the next level was watching a presentation given by the late Eddie McGee at my local library. Eddie had recently entered the spotlight after helping North Yorkshire Police track and corner a Triple Killer. 

Inspired by his Talk I went out and purchased his book.

The rest as they say is History ...

• Upvote 1

Growing up in rural NC my family as well as the small cross roads community I lived in were preppers,we didn't know it at the time because it was the normal way of life.  Pretty much everything you used on a daily basis your either gathered, grew or raised it or hunted to put food on the table.  We only made the occasional trip to the nearest town to get things we couldn't  make or provide for own our own.

Things such as indoor plumbing,bathrooms as well as common use of electricity were pretty much non existent.  Water was drawn from the well,stove wood was cut to cook meals with and firewood had to be stockpiled for the winter months we also had no phone or TV till I was in my early teens.  I could go on but you get the drift,most people these day would probably think of that as a SHTF type scenario but it was just everyday life for me at the time.  I'm glad I experience that as it's taught me how to be as self sufficient as I can and appreciated all that I have.

• Upvote 1

Posterity. One should never place their existence and their families well being in the hands of an outside entity be it a company job, a supermarket or a failed corrupt government. Some people do okay plugged into the system living the consumerist lifestyle being pushed by the State. Most people don't. Life is way too short to not enjoy it and being self sustained was any easy descision to make.

Ones labor is finite. When it's over its over and no redo's will be coming around. You will have what you have and if it isn't enough to sustain whatever existence one chooses, one may have problems.

I'm not a complete rebel. I followed both of Elise's welcome aboard rules...   

I was born waaay back when most people were pretty frugal; everybody worked hard but most had memories of the Great Depression.  I have always liked to have extra food and supplies on hand and would be a natural for prepping if I was a big younger.  As it is, I do what I can and hope my children will be able to use what I've set aside in case I don't.

• Upvote 1

I'm a bit heretical when it comes to prepping, I guess, at my age. The Big Stuff, like EMP , global climate changes, nuclear war, zombie apocalypse, while possible, are beyond my control.

Losing jobs (I just did, again) , flat tires at night and power outages, etc. are more immediate threats. A butane stove, some water and food, and a tarp in your vehicle might be a better first prep than a "Burton Gummer" bunker and arsenal :)

• Upvote 2

I have always liked camping. That led me to taking a wilderness survival course at a local college. This was more a what if the canoe tips over, or we get lost hiking preparation. It seems to have grown a bit over time.

Just joined and was asked to tell my story of why I am prepping. I spent just over 20 years in the Army then another 8 years with BW doing security for diplomats. In that time I was did 22 tours in combat zones in Bosnia, Kosovo, Iraq, and Afghanistan. In the 28 years I have been to 52 countries and have seen just how bad thing can be. I would rather be ready if something happens then be dependent on others i.e. the government so about a year ago I started to prep more. I hope to get guidance from people who have been at this for a longtime and have different prospectives. I am always willing to learn from others, one thing I have learned is to alway keep an open mind everyone has something they can teach you. 

My cousin and uncle used to be big in prepping before 2012 and I got hooked just hanging out with them. They still prep but now I'm the one that takes it far more seriously.

• Upvote 1