Survival Threads
Elise

Sleeping bags for cold temperatures?

I'm wondering if you guys have any experience with sleeping bags.

• Do you have any preferences with regards to brands?
  • Any sleeping bags or whole brands that you would stay away from or trust wholeheartedly?
  • Does anyone have a suggestion for a sleeping bag they'd recommend for very cold temperatures?

Thanks!!

• Upvote 1

Ok..I have some experiences to draw upon in this category..

I have a nice vintage Camp7 good down to 0 F (-17C) in BOB

other Woods canvas/down for the outer bag  that belongs in the truck..

The best option imho are the Cdn. Military because You get 2 bags.

This is awesome, if you find heat/shelter You have one for another person.

If not, it is good down to -30C. A little heavier, but durable and tough.

My next system for certain, and I poke over the ones at surplus occasionally here

lookin for one that will win a beauty contest as well, as they are all used..

http://www.aasurplus.ca/surplus/product/387-canadian-military-arctic-sleeping-bag-system

I forgot, after freezing to the ground once, I will not forget the value of

getting off the ground and keep a foamy with the bag at all times

Edited by Dan Seven
too grounded
  • Upvote 2

Agree with Dan, Cdn. Military stuff is great for cold weather. Have a coat that's designed for parachute jumps into -70C. Removable liner, so adapts to conditions.

One option I've used in -40 is skidoo suit inside a -10 rated bag. Given a choice of only one item I'd opt for the suit. Rolls up smaller then a bag, if anything is more effective using insulation and allows for mobility without exposure. Actually riding a skidoo is one of the worst environments if you think about it, sedentary, high winds, extreme cold, so a good one is almost a space suit. The old ones had a good hood, newer ones less so ( helmet laws came in so the new hoods are adapted for use with helmets ) but should be packing extra head gear ( and boot liners ) anyhow. 

Have an allergy to feathers so while down is best for most people, I'm using synthetic which has gotten pretty good now too.

• Upvote 1

US Military has a 4 piece sleeping bag system that is supposed to be pretty good, not Canada good but still. Price is a bit less and with it being for the US Military, I would guess it is probably a bit more accessible by the general populace of the planet. 

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1918261064/military-surplus-mss-30-degree-4-part-sleeping-bag-system

• Upvote 1

About 20 years ago I purchased a sleeping bag from Western Mountaineering. I still have that bag today. It looks a little rough, and over the years it seems to have changed from a 0 degree bag to a 20 degree bag. But its still a very useable bag, and I still do use it. And the zippers still remain in tact and working. My wife has one too. I have several friends who purchased bags from the same company, and love them.
6 years ago when I thought we seen the useful life of our sleeping bags come to an end I purchased two new 0 degree bags from Western Mountaneering for the wife and I. We have hardly used them. Our old bags just keep on giving. Plus its so nice sleeping in bags that have so many memories. We really don't do any cold weather camping anymore so the old bags are good. The coldest overnight temperatures we've camped in over the last few years has been in the mid 20's.

But our bags have been thru allot and have seen a ton of nights on the trail. The AT, part of the PCT from Oregon thru Washington. The Northern part of the CDT from Wyoming thru Montana. And several months ( on separate occasions ) camping in Alaska. Plus numerous times in the Laurel Highlands where the bulk of our camping and hiking is done.

I like the bags and this company very much. They are expensive, but well worth the money. I don't spare money on things like backpacks, tents, and sleeping bags. On these items I believe in getting the best quality possible. They may not be for you, but check them out.

• Upvote 2