Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

EDC pays off

My every day carry chap stick sure is paying off today. It just might be the most important tool I have. This summer cold has kicked the crap out of my lips and boy do I need the chap stick today. I almost never use it during the summer, but today I'm grateful it's in my pocket.

• Upvote 4

Here in Toronto it gets insanely humid and hot during the summer but for winter I definitely pack a chapstick around, specially with that windchill blasting down the driveway when shoveling snow!

• Upvote 2

EDC is great, isn't it? Having the things you need and use on you always makes life so much easier. Never having to search for something you need because its always on you.......... or never having to go out of your way to buy something you need because its already in your front pocket is priceless.

• Upvote 4

putting together a solid set of EDC items was one of the best things i ever did.  i couldnt even tell you the countless times that it has come in handy.  it doesnt always have to be a life or death thing.  simply having something that you need or want right on hand rather than having to go out of your way to get it is great.

• Upvote 3

I posted in another thread yesterday about breaking my can opener "still can't figure out how I did it, but it's sure broke. My EDC came into play again as there was my trusty p-38 on my key chain ready to go.

• Upvote 3

EDC is great, isn't it? Having the things you need and use on you always makes life so much easier. Never having to search for something you need because its always on you.......... or never having to go out of your way to buy something you need because its already in your front pocket is priceless.

So true

it doesnt always have to be a life or death thing. simply having something that you need or want right on hand rather than having to go out of your way to get it is great.

It mostly isn't about life or death things - just making life a little easier.

I posted in another thread yesterday about breaking my can opener "still can't figure out how I did it, but it's sure broke. My EDC came into play again as there was my trusty p-38 on my key chain ready to go.

Those P-38 can openers are so useful. We resorted to using one last month when we had to sleep away from home and had no can opener around. So handy!

• Upvote 1

i dont carry a p-38, but i always have a victorinox cadet or a leatherman on me, so a can opener is always available.  its kind of startling how many people have never actually used a p38 or a multitool style can opener. 

• Upvote 1

i dont carry a p-38, but i always have a victorinox cadet or a leatherman on me, so a can opener is always available.  its kind of startling how many people have never actually used a p38 or a multitool style can opener. 

I agree. I think people assume they're hard to use, but they're actually easier and better to use than a lot of the cheap dollar-store can openers I've tried using. Reliable as hell.

• Upvote 2

I have a P-38 on my key chain.

I just put together an EDC key chain today. It's a bit much. Almost nerdy looking with overkill ha ha. :)

I changed purses and put my things (plus added some items) to make it very efficient. Now it's a bit heavier than I like so I will go through it again. I don't mind. It's kinda fun to sort out the EDCs. Reminds me to think about what I would truly need in an emergency. I'm keepin' my lipstick though. :)

Edited by Kaye :)
  • Upvote 1

Lipstick is excellent for writing emergency notes in the women's bathroom gas station mirror after being kidnapped on a wild cross country escapade by serial killers in hot pursuit by the FBI...

saw it in a movie once..

Dunno if you have seen Elise's latest pocket dump on http://morethanjustsurviving.com/

but it looks like her pocket dump occurred after a "Night At the Opera" 

Muy Elegante..

o.O

Edited by Dan Seven
  • Upvote 2

I changed purses and put my things (plus added some items) to make it very efficient. Now it's a bit heavier than I like so I will go through it again. I don't mind. It's kinda fun to sort out the EDCs. Reminds me to think about what I would truly need in an emergency. I'm keepin' my lipstick though. :)

Really fun. Too fun almost. Haha!! Totally agree with this. Would love to see your EDC by the way!

And aw thanks guys.

dthomasdigital - honoured that your wife likes my taste in purses ;)

Edited by Elise

You guys have reminded me about those P-38s. Will be getting more than just the one I have at present.

Yeah they're really handy. I should get some more of those and start EDCing them in my purse...

• Upvote 1

Speaking of an EDC coming in handy....

I had use for mine for a second time and the same reason (did that make sense?) Another little fellow at church didn't want to leave his dad's side to go to his class. I asked if I could show him something neat in my purse.

The little fellow cheered right up and went straight to class afterward.

Not a survival issue by any means, but I'm proud to show my EDC gear and gadgets off. I kinda hope that it will plant a seed of preparation in the little guys. :)

• Upvote 2

Speaking of an EDC coming in handy....

I had use for mine for a second time and the same reason (did that make sense?) Another little fellow at church didn't want to leave his dad's side to go to his class. I asked if I could show him something neat in my purse.

The little fellow cheered right up and went straight to class afterward.

Not a survival issue by any means, but I'm proud to show my EDC gear and gadgets off. I kinda hope that it will plant a seed of preparation in the little guys. :)

That's so cute :). I think the "coolness" factor is the best way to plant that seed for sure!

• Upvote 1

You guys have reminded me about those P-38s. Will be getting more than just the one I have at present.

The ol' P-38 is probably the best piece of kit that Uncle Sam ever issued :)

Not JUST a can opener - get yer McGyver on with it:

a screwdriver, a prybar, a ferro-rod striker, a digging and scraping tool, endless possibilities.

I never tried the apocryphal "use it as a fish hook", but (especially a new-ish, still sorta-shiny one) works ok as a spinner fishing lure :)

• Upvote 1