Survival Threads
btl5008

leatherman signal

anybody else seen this thing?  a leatherman billed towards survival.  i just got an email that they are now available  curious what others thought about it.  seems interesting.  i really like leatherman in general.  although i still feel like id personally prefer simply building my own kit around a leatherman wave (my favorite).  but this thing looks like it could have potential.  depending on how the ferro rod and sharpener perform.

http://www.leatherman.com/signal-439.html?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_term=Image+-+Shop+Signal&utm_content=Never+be+unprepared.+The+Signal+is+here.&utm_campaign=150922_signal&_bta_tid=3.cL8.CNIOqQ.EyEh.Af-zNA..AxPVjA.s..s.Afh9.n...SMkCxQ&_bta_c=1cxkkfx3n5971hs9llvbg1ok01ldd

i have a MUT as well and while it is interesting, i feel like it is a little too specialized.  i definitely prefer the more standard use tools on the wave.  what do you guys think?

• Upvote 1

Wow, the timing on this thread. My sons friend just came in and showed me this exact Leatherman. Pretty cool.
I'm not going to get one though. As if I don't have enough multi-tools, ferro rods, and whistles hanging around.
It retailed for $89.00 at a local sporting goods store.

Edited by PappyHiker
added text
  • Upvote 3

I am not really choosy when it comes to these multi-tools, the ford or chevy thing..

Am about other things maybe..brand loyalty..

There is an old Leatherman kicking around with me for years, crude old diehard.

If I am to wait for it to die before trying something new.. then I likely never will.

Features can be a Trojan Horse to our needs..

• Upvote 1

It looks cool and seems like a get idea but from my experiences when companies try to added a lot off extra items like this the quality goes down. I like I'd rather have a basic multitool that I've used and trust and carry a ferro rod. Doesn't use any space. I just can't see myself spending that kind of money for a set up I already have and know works every time. I think I will have to wait till I have a friend who has bought one and we test it in a real scenario. I'm sure my next trip with the Boy Scouts there will be one, the kids always have the last eat gadgets

• Upvote 2

Dear btl5008,

As a HUGE Leatherman fan, this knife looks awesome!  I would love one for my collection.  

I do have to agree with you, I do think it too specialized/gimmicky for my needs.  I personally feel the Leatherman Sidekick is the perfect Survival Multi-tool.  

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 1