Survival Threads
Thomas

What are you carrying today? [EDC/Everyday Carry thread]

Thomas    910

Rainy & cold Canadian day. Not going anywhere, just sulking with my pipe. ;)

thomas-xavier-edc.thumb.jpg.47d6778b3f86

Items

• Meerschaum Pipe (I think its the "diplomat"
  • ZIppo "Spyder" lighter.
  • MacBaren Plumcake tobacco
  • SOG Flash II (EDC'ing it for review purposes- definitely not my favourite knife).

What are y'all carrying?

• Upvote 4

Elise    923

Been EDC'ing the same thing I was yesterday...

everyday-carry-elise-xavier.thumb.jpg.cc

Nexus 4, Spyderco Sage 1, Leatherman Skeletool CX, some random ring & an Inova XP flashlight. All in the sweet little fabric skull purse I bought a few years back.

Edited by Elise
  • Upvote 4

This is my normal EDC. I live by rule 9. Never go anywhere without a knife. I also carry my Gerber, ferro rod, lighter, magnifying glass and a firearm. Also, remember the type of clothing that you wear is also important. You do not want to end up in the deep woods with just a tee shirt, shorts and tennis shoes. Or find yourself without a jacket in the winter. 

edc.jpg

• Upvote 5

Tom226    23

This is my normal EDC. I live by rule 9. Never go anywhere without a knife. I also carry my Gerber, ferro rod, lighter, magnifying glass and a firearm. Also, remember the type of clothing that you wear is also important. You do not want to end up in the deep woods with just a tee shirt, shorts and tennis shoes. Or find yourself without a jacket in the winter. 

edc.jpg

I'm a firm believer that if you are comfortable carrying a firearm and it is legal to do so, you should exercise that right/responsibility. Unfortunately my county here in California does not issue carry permits to "ordinary" citizens. Hopefully that will change soon. Great points about attire as well.

• Upvote 2

Thomas    910

edc.jpg

I have been meaning to try out Gerber multitools, how do they compare to Leathermans?

This is what I carry most days. Leatherman Juice S2, Streamlight Stylus Pro, Benchmade 940-1. 

image.jpg

Oh man, that 940-1 is gorgeous. I still need to get my hands on one!

• Upvote 2

Tom226    23

I have been meaning to try out Gerber multitools, how do they compare to Leathermans?

It was a gift and I normally would not have splurged on it. I am amazed how well the carbon fiber scales are holding up, and the S90V steel holds an edge unbelievably well. Not the finest edge, mind you, but more than serviceable.

• Upvote 1

Elise    923

This is what I carry most days. Leatherman Juice S2, Streamlight Stylus Pro, Benchmade 940-1. 

I love your Benchmade.. Realistically, I think I'm just a sucker for anything with carbon fiber scales.

• Upvote 1

My Gerber was issued to me while I was in the military about 15 years ago. I was issued a leatherman first but, I did not like it because it would always pinch the crap out of my hand when I used the pliers. I love my Gerber and do not go anywhere without it. It is always on my belt.

• Upvote 1

Thomas    910

When we find something we like, we tend to stick to them. I feel the same about my Spyderco Sage II, it doesn't have a bearings system or a bleeding edge super steel but its always been a dependable EDC knife for me & I wouldn't change anything about it!

My Gerber was issued to me while I was in the military about 15 years ago. I was issued a leatherman first but, I did not like it because it would always pinch the crap out of my hand when I used the pliers. I love my Gerber and do not go anywhere without it. It is always on my belt.

• Upvote 2

When we find something we like, we tend to stick to them. I feel the same about my Spyderco Sage II, it doesn't have a bearings system or a bleeding edge super steel but its always been a dependable EDC knife for me & I wouldn't change anything about it!

That is very true. Whenever I go into the woods I put my Karbar fighting knife on my belt. I have had it for just over 35 years and would not trade it for any of the new "tactic" high dollar knives on the market. I have used it a 1000 times and I trust it.

• Upvote 2

Thomas    910

Pretty typical day for me.

I love my custom made Eagletac, I tolerate my Bark River Pro Scalpel.

pro scalpel eagletac.jpg

Anything wrong with the Scalpel? Looks like a pretty handy lil blade!

• Upvote 1

Thomas    910

That is very true. Whenever I go into the woods I put my Karbar fighting knife on my belt. I have had it for just over 35 years and would not trade it for any of the new "tactic" high dollar knives on the market. I have used it a 1000 times and I trust it.

100% agree, I think trust (in terms of dependability) is an important factor in the gear we chose. Too often we are swayed by "features" whilst we ignore the principle purpose of a tool- to work when you need it to.

• Upvote 1

Anything wrong with the Scalpel? Looks like a pretty handy lil blade!

The handle is short, which I knew it would be when I ordered it, so I cobbled a quick lanyard onto it. My intent was a front pocket carry fixed blade with a pocket clip sheath.

The blade is way thicker than a tiny knife needs to be, which I didn't think about while reading the specs.

It's not a bad knife, and it's certainly not intimidating, which I didn't want as an EDC. But for my intended use I wouldn't buy another one, if I lost this one.

Also, I didn't own any Bark River knives, and their shop is not really that far from me, so I felt I should at least try one.

• Upvote 1

ngjakedog    6

In Pa here.  Normal edc is kershaw shallot or ancient Spyderco delica (until my Inkosi comes in oct.. So excited.. Anyways) , lg g3,  streamlite nano (weak i know), generic torch lighter,  cigar cutter,  and ancient Leatherman n 4 d cell  Mag. Light(both stay in car).  Glock 43 n extra mag or kimber  Ultra cdpII. 45 when not going to work.  Yes we have guns in usa.  Lol

Edited by ngjakedog
Additional information
  • Upvote 4

No one seems to mention guns in these threads.. Is that bad manners? 

I'm not qualified to speak for the forum owners, but I would assume gun discussions would be acceptable around here.

I Don't edc a gun, but I have nothing against doing so.  

• Upvote 1

Elise    923

No one seems to mention guns in these threads.. Is that bad manners? 

Nope! Not bad manners at all! We're pro-gun but cannot carry since we're located in Toronto right now. :(

I'm not qualified to speak for the forum owners, but I would assume gun discussions would be acceptable around here.

I Don't edc a gun, but I have nothing against doing so.  

Our sentiments exactly. 

• Upvote 3

William    193

I almost consider the gear in my truck (and my truck itself) to be part of my EDC since I am almost never more than about 100 feet from it. Being in an area with full on seasons and weather, my truck gear can vary wildly depending on season. There is always water, some simple tools, spare knife or two, rope, flashlight and mylar blankets, but in summer there is more water and in winter there is a real blanket.

• Upvote 2

Elise    923

I almost consider the gear in my truck (and my truck itself) to be part of my EDC since I am almost never more than about 100 feet from it. Being in an area with full on seasons and weather, my truck gear can vary wildly depending on season. There is always water, some simple tools, spare knife or two, rope, flashlight and mylar blankets, but in summer there is more water and in winter there is a real blanket.

I used to carry a lot of water in my trunk when I had my car as well - some by the back seats, some in the front and at least one full pack of 24 bottles in the trunk. Also kept at least 2 blankets - year round. I found use for the blankets that weren't survival related - they were very handy to lay down in case I needed to move furniture using my hatchback. That way the furniture (often desks + dressers) never scratched up the car.

Had a lot of other things in there, too, but my problem was always keeping the trunk tidy ;). A few bigger bags for organizing would've helped, but I often just folded the blankets, stashed the water bottles in their original packaging into the boot, and called it a day. Wouldn't be ideal when I started driving around and everything began to shift - but albeit being a bit disorderly - it did the job.

dthomasdigital    1,025
  • SOG Fielder knife (front pants pocket)
  • A tube of chap stick (front pants pocket)
  • SOG Signal fire (on my key ring)
  • p-38 Can Opener (on my key ring)
  • Bushnell Rubicon T200L flashlight (front shirt pocket)
  • Nice little multi-tool (front pants pocket)
  • Iphone (belt clip)
  • Baofeng UV-5R radio (belt clip)
  • Upvote 3