Survival Threads
Elise

Winter Weather Preps

Well, autumn seems to have finally struck here. Weather's substantially cooler than a week or two ago, and so it's well overdue to be thinking about winter preps.

Just curious to see whether anyone has any specific rituals to make sure they're stocked up and ready in case an emergency hits in the winter. I made it a point to work up an emergency supplies list specifically for winter the autumn after Toronto had that terrible power outage in the middle of the winter, but I've gotta say - always feel like there's more to be added to the lists of what can be done to prepare.

So yup - what are your cold-weather specific preps? And is there anything you'd like to do to prepare for winter that you just haven't gotten around to doing or that just isn't in your budget yet. Would love to know about those too - I'm sure there'll be some great ideas and I can start planning to do the same!

• Upvote 1

The national weather service is predicting a very strong El Niño event this year. The last one we had about 6 years ago brought in two back to back snow storms that dumped almost 3 feet of snow at my house. Now I know you folks in the great white north look at 3 feet and say "that all you got!" but for us 3 feet and we are at a stand still, I think we got like 3 snow plows in the whole county.

So this year I'm going to be ready for El Niño I got my snow shovel, rock salt, and plenty hot coco!

• Upvote 1

So this year I'm going to be ready for El Niño I got my snow shovel, rock salt, and plenty hot coco!

Sounds like a good plan to me!

3 feet is pretty awful if you haven't got a shovel around.

• Upvote 1

The national weather service is predicting a very strong El Niño event this year. The last one we had about 6 years ago brought in two back to back snow storms that dumped almost 3 feet of snow at my house. Now I know you folks in the great white north look at 3 feet and say "that all you got!" but for us 3 feet and we are at a stand still, I think we got like 3 snow plows in the whole county.

That's a bit much in short order for anyone. 3 feet of lose snow is snow shoe / sled / ski / snowmobile stuff. Ps once you run a snow mobile through it that track can be walked on. One helpful snowmobile can bring foot traffic back ^_^  .

I don't really change much at home as winter is a given, and with 2 tractors, blades etc. the 1/2 mile to the highway is often cleared before the actual highway is.

Now the car / truck / whatever I have running this year... already have the basic bag in the back. Hockey bag with , cold weather sleeping bag, full skidoo suit ( cover all variety but I may switch it for a two part, pants and jacket ) full change of cloths, insulated rubber boots, insulated leather gauntlet mitts, balaclava, paper towels, major flashlight, pocket light, toilet paper, disposable coveralls. Then a plastic tote with propane, burner, stainless steel bucket, dry food,  litre of methanol,  first aid kit,( Canadian military with a few additions ) camp cook set... Also the smaller all year bag (about 1.5 cu ft. of food, first aid, candles etc. ).

Once it gets into the actual main force winter I also throw a 1200 watt gen set, extension cord and small space heater in. Intend to change to an interior car warmer instead of the heater soon, and probably put a small battery charger into the car along with a battery blanket and tie it in with the block heater. The gen set has a 12 volt output so can be charging the car already.  Always have 5 litres of gas in a jerry can with me, plus spare oil, couple of cans of engine quick start, wrenches, chains, come along...

Down side, my car is pretty much at it's load limit for the winter, hard on springs and shocks... xD

• Upvote 3

I don't really change much at home as winter is a given, and with 2 tractors, blades etc. the 1/2 mile to the highway is often cleared before the actual highway is.

Now the car / truck / whatever I have running this year... already have the basic bag in the back. Hockey bag with , cold weather sleeping bag, full skidoo suit ( cover all variety but I may switch it for a two part, pants and jacket ) full change of cloths, insulated rubber boots, insulated leather gauntlet mitts, balaclava, paper towels, major flashlight, pocket light, toilet paper, disposable coveralls. Then a plastic tote with propane, burner, stainless steel bucket, dry food,  litre of methanol,  first aid kit,( Canadian military with a few additions ) camp cook set... Also the smaller all year bag (about 1.5 cu ft. of food, first aid, candles etc. ).

Once it gets into the actual main force winter I also throw a 1200 watt gen set, extension cord and small space heater in. Intend to change to an interior car warmer instead of the heater soon, and probably put a small battery charger into the car along with a battery blanket and tie it in with the block heater. The gen set has a 12 volt output so can be charging the car already.  Always have 5 litres of gas in a jerry can with me, plus spare oil, couple of cans of engine quick start, wrenches, chains, come along...

Down side, my car is pretty much at it's load limit for the winter, hard on springs and shocks... xD

Very nice preps! Totally worth hitting the load limit!

Well Done Gary:

I nominate You for the  'Prepper of Month' for the Winter Survival category !

;)

Agreed!