Survival Threads
Elise

Estimate how big your knife collection is!

Knife Count Estimate  

12 members have voted

1. 1. How many knives would you estimate you have right now?

• Under 20 knives
    • 20-49 knives
    • 50-99 knives
    • 100-199 knives
    • 200-499 knives
    • 500+ knives

Gotta admit, this thread was inspired by the fact that Rowan seems to have an unlimited number of knives to share pictures of on this thread.

How many knives would you estimate you currently have in your possession? (Kitchen knives obviously excluded!)

Do you have mostly pocket knives? Mostly fixed blades? More from one brand over another?

• Upvote 1

I'm not going to count the knives that Thomas and I technically co-own and say that I probably have around 30-40 knives right now. Otherwise, if I included the knives both of us own it'd look like we have 1000s of knives when we own probably around 600 collectively (definitely not all of which are expensive - we have Moras and cheap Kershaws, etc.). I think right now at least half my collection of 30-40 is made up of Spydercos, with the rest being CRKTs and Kershaws. Mostly pocket knives for sure (Thomas and I are arguing over the custody of our Condor Bushlore and Mora 2000, so whose collection those are a part of is up for debate).

• Upvote 2

Shared Custody is the usual arbitrated result, and to play favorites and 'split them' up is morally abhorrent.

This leaves the remainder wondering about the security of their own place within the knife family, and may result in the polarization of similar members organizing themselves into 'camps'..spyderco vs CKRT vs Mora etc. Safety in numbers.   Us  vs. Them.

At that point it is much  more  difficult to find harmony within the collection..

:$

Edited by Dan Seven
  • Upvote 3

Shared Custody is the usual arbitrated result, and to play favorites and 'split them' up is morally abhorrent.

This leaves the remainder wondering about the security of their own place within the knife family, and may result in the polarization of similar members organizing themselves into 'camps'..spyderco vs CKRT vs Mora etc. Safety in numbers.   Us  vs. Them.

At that point it is much  more  difficult to find harmony within the collection..

Hilarious!! Haha.

Now you're making me feel guilty! In my defense my "tactical knives" have never felt comfortable with Elise so I do it for them more than for me. 

• Upvote 1

This is very considerate. Some younger couples are very definitive when it comes to recognizing differing external device needs and their purposes.

Like a toilet seat...he leaves it down for her, she leaves it up for him..

If a fella sees it up, it only reinforces the fact that she is being considerate, 

or that he was the last one there...nice...

Now imagine when for some reason it is always down, what that begins to do to the man-brain. Suddenly Life becomes unfair, our natural urges and responses repressed and thwarted. Life is just not the same after that. 

In the Northern latitudes a man can find some escape from this by signing his name in the snow. In more Southerly climes, a bidet for her provides relief.

Having a Urinal installed is way too "tactical' and her efforts to claim it should be seen as as an omen of 

'deeper seated resentment'..

Edited by Dan Seven
  • Upvote 1

I haven't counted all my knifes, but I have several tactical, gentleman pocket knives, a couple or three of the barlow style, daggars, hunting, lock blade, etc. I LOVE all sorts and kinds of knives and I'm not picky so the prices ranges from $1.00 to $25.00 (retail). I have to keep the price kinda low when I buy so I can keep my collection growing. :)

• Upvote 3

I haven't counted all my knifes, but I have several tactical, gentleman pocket knives, a couple or three of the barlow style, daggars, hunting, lock blade, etc. I LOVE all sorts and kinds of knives and I'm not picky so the prices ranges from $1.00 to $25.00 (retail). I have to keep the price kinda low when I buy so I can keep my collection growing. :)

There's a lot of good knives at that $25 price point, so it shouldn't be too hard to stay shopping there for a long while! And you can get some excellent knives second hand. We do that quite a bit (especially with the more expensive knives; if we can grab 'em used, we sure will!)

• Upvote 2

Dear Elise,

I can honestly say that I have not counted my knives, I exclude the knives I use and make as well as kitchen, garden and garage knives.

But I know one thing for a fact!  I want more!B|
LOL

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 3

Dear Elise,

I can honestly say that I have not counted my knives, I exclude the knives I use and make as well as kitchen, garden and garage knives.

But I know one thing for a fact!  I want more!B|
LOL

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

I hear you. :D 

• Upvote 2

Dear Thomas & Elise,

You can never have too much Knives, Money and Love, not necessarily in that order:P

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 2

Not as big as Thomas' and Elise's that much I know for sure.

Good answer, lol! I think that's true of pretty much everyone here except for Rowan. I'm sure he has us beat. :) Or at least rivaled!

I have mainly fixed blades, a couple of machetes and two folders.

Every time I see a new knife on the market, I get seriously tempted to get it....

Been fighting the urge lately

• Upvote 1

I have mainly fixed blades, a couple of machetes and two folders.

Every time I see a new knife on the market, I get seriously tempted to get it....

Been fighting the urge lately

I used to feel the same way but now I have so many that most new knives are at least similar to a knife I already own- which takes the urge away somewhat.

I will say that Rowan's collection is pretty drool worthy. 

• Upvote 2

I'd just be guessing , but probably 5 Kg. folding, fixed, machetes, home made, antiques, speciality tools. If I get a forge together I'd like to try making some Damascus steel and see how that goes. 

• Upvote 1

Most of the knives I have are penknife's I've ben collecting for over 30 years. Knives from Case, Imperial, Buck, Camillus, Schrade, etc. Many of which are commemoratives knives of people or events in history.
Also many of which are Case Knives. Case targeted collectors by sending out catalogues every year with updates, and send out flyers that pictured knives on special and limited number commemorative knives. All the knives are high quality and very useable, but made with collectors in mind. I started collecting so that I'd have something to hand down to my sons. Once you got started buying off of Case, they'd keep you on their mailing list. I'm no longer on their mailing list because I haven't bought any in years. I stopped at 150 knives. They are all divided up and waiting to hand down to my 3 sons. I should just give the knives to them now.
Without those knives I only would have 50 left. These are my everyday knives for carry, hunting, fishing, utility, etc.

• Upvote 2

Most of the knives I have are penknife's I've ben collecting for over 30 years. Knives from Case, Imperial, Buck, Camillus, Schrade, etc. Many of which are commemoratives knives of people or events in history.
Also many of which are Case Knives. Case targeted collectors by sending out catalogues every year with updates, and send out flyers that pictured knives on special and limited number commemorative knives. All the knives are high quality and very useable, but made with collectors in mind. I started collecting so that I'd have something to hand down to my sons. Once you got started buying off of Case, they'd keep you on their mailing list. I'm no longer on their mailing list because I haven't bought any in years. I stopped at 150 knives. They are all divided up and waiting to hand down to my 3 sons. I should just give the knives to them now.
Without those knives I only would have 50 left. These are my everyday knives for carry, hunting, fishing, utility, etc.

Oh man I would love to see that collection. I love the way Case knives look & feel.

• Upvote 1

Oh man I would love to see that collection. I love the way Case knives look & feel.

I haven't seen them myself in several years LOL. They are all in their original boxes/cases and stashed away. Just been waiting for the time to pass them to my sons. In fact I've forgotten what many of them even look like. Some of them may be valuable due to limited production, don't know, I haven't kept up with that. If there is any of value that's just a benefit for the boys. I just hope they don't sell them and continue to pass them on to their sons.

• Upvote 1

I haven't seen them myself in several years LOL. They are all in their original boxes/cases and stashed away. Just been waiting for the time to pass them to my sons. In fact I've forgotten what many of them even look like. Some of them may be valuable due to limited production, don't know, I haven't kept up with that. If there is any of value that's just a benefit for the boys. I just hope they don't sell them and continue to pass them on to their sons.

It would be a shame if they sold them. I doubt they would, though. And if they sold some (maybe out of necessity - never know!), I'm sure they'd keep a good chunk to pass down. Sounds to me like the best kind of collection :)

• Upvote 1

i have a pretty sizable collection at this point.  probably somewhere between 100-150.  not really sure as the number is constantly fluctuating.  i am a benchmade fan so a large portion of my collection is from them.  i have everything ranging from regular production beater type knives to a gold class that are now worth a few grand.  i tend to go mostly for folders in general.  for fixed blades, i really tend to go for pure function vs flash whereas with folder, i go for both. 

i do not go for benchmades exclusively though.  i have a handfull of spydercos and ZTs that i really love as well.  i am just more picky with them as i tend to either really love or really dislike their designs.  i have a few microtech OTFs, a bunch of Bradley alias' and 2 Chris Reeve Sebenzas

i like to both collect and carry.  recently i have gotten into Brad Southard midtechs.  while they are certainly not cheap, but they are absolutely some of the nicest knives i own.  i carry them frequently and they are excellent.  doesnt hurt that they look awesome as well

below are a few pictures of my southards.  the first is a Tolk and is my newest.  very awesome knife.  but the one i carry the most is the Avo.  it is a bit smaller than the tolk, but for me this knife is just about perfect.  the last pic is a pretty standard EDC rotation.  i carry the benchmade 940-1 every day regardless of what else i have on me. 

i just love knives.  i always have.  my tastes have refined over the years but in general, i just like quality.  i dont tend to put my trust in cheap materials or construction.  i have a few showy art type blades that i dont really carry (not much reason to muss up a $1000 blade when i have other more user friendly options of the same model) but in general i buy knives i can use as well as admire

0501150242b_zpsjvfsruiq.jpg

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

image5.JPG

Edited by btl5008