Survival Threads
Elise

Share Those Sales! Gear Deals & Product Discounts Spotting Thread

Elise............

Did you look at Battery Junction for those Fenix Flashlights?
I got 2 more E05s @ $13.97 each. 1 more E01 @ $8.76. And 1 PD35 @ $48.97.
All will be given as Christmas gifts except for the E01. Its orange and is cool.;)

• Upvote 1

Elise............

Did you look at Battery Junction for those Fenix Flashlights?
I got 2 more E05s @ $13.97 each. 1 more E01 @ $8.76. And 1 PD35 @ $48.97.
All will be given as Christmas gifts except for the E01. Its orange and is cool.;)

Yes I did take a look, but we're pretty overstocked on flashlights at the moment.

I feel like we've got such a huge collection of 'em that we'll need to give away to friends & family for Christmas before we buy anymore. Really have just so many.

Sometimes, I do think it's possible to hit the cap for how much you want around the house. I think our cap for knives is a lot higher than flashlights (we're pretty obsessed!), but yup, I think the flashlight one has finally been hit, or well was hit a few months back even.

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00VUDUB0U/ref=pe_2331390_157317120_em_ti

14 watt light strip, 12 volts, 5 meters long. Easy to make work / area lighting that can run on batteries when AC is out.

This is really cool! Such a good price, too!

• Upvote 1

This is really cool! Such a good price, too!

I've ordered a red and blue to play with as plant lights. If the plants are black I'll have it right B|

That nice green colour is the light the plants can't use. Should be about 10 times better then "grow and show" lamps for energy use starting plants.

• Upvote 1

Have the single band unit, works great. Closest to that in the great white north right now...

http://www.amazon.ca/Pofung-UV-5R-Interphone-136-174-Dual-Band/dp/B00KATH95K/

$38.85 CDN  Looks like the Baofang, same specs. FM commercial receive ( whole planet's FM range ) Land mobile R/T inc. 2 meter ham plus 70 cm ham ( all areas ).  Have done 5 Km with a Baofang unit to unit, with the horrible short antenna, would expect much better connected to a 1/4 or 5/8.

• Upvote 2

On 12/28/2015 at 2:56 AM, Gary_Gough said:

Good price. Speaking of which, what do you think of ceramic blade knives? I don't know if it's just me but I could not figure out the appeal...

On 2015-12-30 at 1:36 PM, Elise said:

Good price. Speaking of which, what do you think of ceramic blade knives? I don't know if it's just me but I could not figure out the appeal...

Don't know yet. I did order those and once they show up and I use them for awhile I'll have an opinion.

• Upvote 1

On 12/30/2015 at 2:36 PM, Elise said:

They CAN and often are, extremely "scary" sharp and hold an edge reasonably well if you are very careful.  The cons are that they are fragile because the are so hard (they'll shatter if dropped just right in a hard surface and don't even think about using one as a lever)  and worst of all, when they do get dull, you need industrial diamond grinders to restore the edge (i.e. mail it back to Kyocera). My business partner literally whittled down both a normal kitchen steel and a ceramic 'steel' attempting to restore the edge on his ceramic folder.  NOT recommended :) 

• Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Wyzyrd said:

The cons are that they are fragile because the are so hard (they'll shatter if dropped just right in a hard surface and don't even think about using one as a lever)

This is literally the worst part about them for me. I drop pretty much everything. I cannot even imagine using one regularly as I just know me breaking it will happen sooner rather than later..

Just found a decent one today - May be US-only, I do not know.

The 'clearance" end cap in the outdoor aisles at my local Walmart had a blister-packed  Kershaw "RJ" (flipper-assisted opening, glass-filled nylon hilt, reversible pocket clip)  and a 1-AA cell aluminum LED "tactical-looking" flashlight for $19.99US.  .

I'm not replacing my Kershaw Link,  but not a bad price for a vehicle kit backup knife.

• Upvote 1

On 2015-12-30 at 1:36 PM, Elise said:

Got them today. First impression is they are sharp enough that you want to be in control of where the edge is at all times. Thin, absolutely ridged blades, equal to my best chef knives for ease of slicing with no tendency to pull to either side. I'll revisit this after I put a few months use on them.

• Upvote 1

$6.99 CDN at Princess Auto. Comes with a pouch, poorly sewn nylon. Blade is strongly ferromagnetic and not terribly sharp as packed. Throws lots of sparks with a ferro rod. Blade is flat on one side, should be a good choice for cleaning old head gaskets off doing an engine rebuild. Lock is slightly loose ( fractional degree of play in the locked position ) but quite secure. Large contact area between the blade and aluminum handle so should hold up to prybar use within limits. Belt clip is single sided and could be destroyed a bit too easily ( bend it too far ) and a bit too shallow to be secure on any belt wider then 2 cm. Easy to open and close with one hand.

WMR-W458.jpg

• Upvote 1

bullet-assisted-opening-folder-black-8.g

This one is $9.99 CDN at Princess Auto, Spring assist opening. Open and locked as soon as you touch it. 440 Stainless, symmetrical grind, quite sharp as sold. Deep clip held on with two screws. Blade locks tight. Three places you could attach a lanyard. Open steel frame with plastic handle. Should live ok clipped to the left edge of a pocket, but could use a pouch for belt carry as I suspect it would be knocked open a bit too often.

• Upvote 1

On 2016-01-01 at 11:28 AM, Wyzyrd said:

They CAN and often are, extremely "scary" sharp and hold an edge reasonably well if you are very careful.  The cons are that they are fragile because the are so hard (they'll shatter if dropped just right in a hard surface and don't even think about using one as a lever)  and worst of all, when they do get dull, you need industrial diamond grinders to restore the edge (i.e. mail it back to Kyocera). My business partner literally whittled down both a normal kitchen steel and a ceramic 'steel' attempting to restore the edge on his ceramic folder.  NOT recommended :) 

This might help.. http://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00PK4985E

$17 double sided diamond abrasive. I'm also curious how it will work taking the sharp edges off of cut quartz glass.

I already have a diamond grinding wheel but it's too coarse to finish knife edges ( and a bit too aggressive grinding quartz glass, tends to chip it ). 

• Upvote 1

CRKT Eros Large by Ken Onion

Specs

• CRKT
  • K456XXP
  • Blade: Satin finish AUS8 stainless steel
  • Blade type: Modified spear-point
  • Handle: 420J2
  • IKBS pivot system and flipper
  • Right-handed, tip-down carry
  • Open Overall Length: 6.94 in (17.6 cm)
  • Blade length: 2.84 in (7.2 cm)
  • Closed length: 4 in (10.2 cm)
  • Weight: 2.8 oz (79 g)

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/crkt-eros-large-by-ken-onion

Screen Shot.png

Screen Shot 2.png

• Upvote 1

Oh how is sux to be this late to the party... Would love to have snagged all these deals!  Don't usually have a lot of cash on hand, but please keep this thread alive!  That tomahawk is AWESOME!!!

• Upvote 1

Little addendum on that diamond abrasive. I chipped the tip of a ceramic knife and brought it right back in a few seconds with that abrasive. .