Survival Threads
Thomas

Everyday items that could be utilized as an impact weapon?

I see so many custom kubaton & knucks on the market these days and I frequently find that a lot of the stuff I carry on an everyday basis would fit the "impact weapon" purpose quite well without being specifically designed for it.

I recently picked up a Cross Century Classic fountain pen, for instance, and it's a nice slab of pointy metal that is as good as many tactical pens on the market, even though it's not at all designed or intended to be used this way.

What are some other everyday items you have lying around the house that you think might make for good impact tools?

cross.thumb.jpg.cd723785cf4eb3e337c1119e

(the pen in question)

• Upvote 2

Dear Thomas,

This is a great topic!  

If you are talking about everyday household items, a broom.  Anyone who has ever done any type of martial art can handle a staff!  If not it work just as well as a bat!

An iron makes for a great impact weapon, and as I hate ironing not only will the iron be hot, but I will be in a bad mood when I have to use it.

Any pen/pencil, even a plastic pen that can break of in the person works.  Your canister of pepper spray a full or empty gun magazine even your closed folder.  A can of canned food can be used to hit or throw if you need distraction when you go for a proper weapon.  Not only can a flashlight blind and confuse, it can give a decent blow.  A belt, especially if it has a big buckle is a dangerous implement.

Large Bowies and Kukris with thick spines are GREAT for impacting weapons!

Ladies, can use their whole handbag and have them GUESS, what is inside.
High heels for kicking and even as a hammer is excellent    .

Basically anything you can get your hands on.  When you identify these items in your house, also know an intruder can use them against you, so be mindful what you leave lying around.

A dog leach also works well, has distance and can reach around corners, just remember to take the dog of before you use it to hit someone or you can get in trouble with the SPCA

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 1

i keep this sucker handy

a 6 d cell maglight. blunt force trauma in a nice, swingable aluminum tube.

20151015_014048.jpg

Yeah..I can see that doing some serious damage. Have you upgraded the head to one of the new LED ones?

Dear Thomas,

This is a great topic!  

If you are talking about everyday household items, a broom.  Anyone who has ever done any type of martial art can handle a staff!  If not it work just as well as a bat!

An iron makes for a great impact weapon, and as I hate ironing not only will the iron be hot, but I will be in a bad mood when I have to use it.

Any pen/pencil, even a plastic pen that can break of in the person works.  Your canister of pepper spray a full or empty gun magazine even your closed folder.  A can of canned food can be used to hit or throw if you need distraction when you go for a proper weapon.  Not only can a flashlight blind and confuse, it can give a decent blow.  A belt, especially if it has a big buckle is a dangerous implement.

Large Bowies and Kukris with thick spines are GREAT for impacting weapons!

Ladies, can use their whole handbag and have them GUESS, what is inside.
High heels for kicking and even as a hammer is excellent    .

Basically anything you can get your hands on.  When you identify these items in your house, also know an intruder can use them against you, so be mindful what you leave lying around.

A dog leach also works well, has distance and can reach around corners, just remember to take the dog of before you use it to hit someone or you can get in trouble with the SPCA

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

Some excellent points Rowan, makes you recognize that with the right mindset, anything can be a weapon. 

• Upvote 3

What a way to relieve your frustration with house chores ;)

• Upvote 1

And lol very true!

• Upvote 1

an impact weapon?  like..to hurt somebody?  why would i do that ?

when i keep an axe behind the door..

Edited by Dan Seven
  • Upvote 1

Some excellent points Rowan, makes you recognize that with the right mindset, anything can be a weapon. 

Dear Thomas,

Defending yourself is much like a survival, it is all mind-set.  No matter what you have at your disposal, if you don’t have the will, it is all useless.

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 2

an impact weapon?  like..to hurt somebody?  why would i do that ?

when i keep an axe behind the door..

Oh Dan... hahaha

The axe is just so you can access the fire extinguisher right? :)

LOL - I keep a hickory walking stick right by my front door. OF COURSE the brass pipe-union it has as a head is strictly decorative to give it a more  Victorian/Steampunk look and feel.

My GF, her sisters and a few friends have "decorative nautical signal bell cords" for a sailboat someone may someday get, attached to their keychains.  (3/4 oz steel fishing weight inside a paracord monkey's fist knot, wrapped inside a paracord braid) .  A "Little League" baseball bat does not look at all out of place in a vehicle if you look old enough to have kids or grandkids

:)

20151206_154006.jpg

• Upvote 1

Definitely agree w/Dan Seven - PLEASE read carefully and consult local regulations.

The bull-pizzle-cane is the precursor of the modern S.A. "sjambok" riot weapon, and depending on your location and the state of current laws could well make you a "criminal" by simply possessing one. DO check first.

• Upvote 1

Multi use, use 2 as insecticide ( place bug on one, lower second onto first, grind ). Impact ... drop from high place. Personal protection.. place on cord around neck, unlikely anyone will approach. Holder for large coffee cups. Set as shown on a metal tray, popcorn or candy bowels, multiple with planks.. book shelves that match any post apocalyptic décor. 

block.jpg

• Upvote 2

I keep a climbing rated locking "D" carabiner in my strong side pocket coat.  It has a number of uses.

1. A weight in my pocket that helps keep my coat from flapping around too much and exposing my pistol.

2. An improvised impact weapon, best employed in a hammer-fist but could also be a knuckle duster.

3. An actual carabiner, lol.  I know, using an object for it's intended purpose seems to go against some kind of prepper code sometimes...

I've flown on planes many times with this carabiner clipped to my carry-on pack holding my empty stainless steal water bottle.  Once I'm into the secure area, I fill up the bottle.  Now I have two impact weapons or if I combine them, a swinging club that can hit with a lot of force.

• Upvote 2

Multi use, use 2 as insecticide ( place bug on one, lower second onto first, grind ). Impact ... drop from high place. Personal protection.. place on cord around neck, unlikely anyone will approach. Holder for large coffee cups. Set as shown on a metal tray, popcorn or candy bowels, multiple with planks.. book shelves that match any post apocalyptic décor. 

block.jpg

So good haha.

lol- back in the "old days" of "organic gardening and farming" magazine in the early 70's  from Rodale there used to be a classified ad every month - "Guaranteed garden non-pesticide insect  removal method - $5" - you got 2 6inch pieces of 2x4 labelled "A" and ""B" , and a mimeographed page of instructions:  "Entice offending insect onto block A. Strike sharply with with block B"

I didn't buy one, but I knew 3 people who did :)

• Upvote 1

Four items you could have on your person that could be utilized in a confrontation. 

20151207_092952.thumb.jpg.4c7bea91172bcbup to 3 keys can be placed between your fingers and the rest of the keyring added as weight to the fist.

20151207_092901.thumb.jpg.670b29f24d328fpocket knife obiously has the blade, but unopened adds weight to the fist. Also can be grasped with part hanging out of the bottom of the fist and used to inflict a hammerfist. A knife with the pointed metal used to break out car windows could deliver a crushing blow.

20151207_092923.thumb.jpg.0462e97194e1d9pepperspray can take out multiple attackers, giving you the time to flee the scene or leisurely kick the crap out of them. Depending on your preference.

20151207_092826.thumb.jpg.93a9a6899f2fe7This weighted paracord bracelet is basically the infamous blackjack. It has a ball bearing incased in the attachment button. A little weighty on the wrist but does the trick. Can put the odds in your favor. 

Video shows all four and demonstrates the bearing bracelet from wrist to action.

Four items for self defense

Nice options...

Having being nailed by pepperspray in a mugging attempt, and spending 4 hours in hospital,

a caveat may be in order.

Firstly, within i would guess a foot or 2 straight into the eyes, the possibility of permanent damage

is a real risk. Maiming an attacker may be the outcome, but with law enforcement, escalating 

response to force rules under test in court everyday, it also means that if a civilian uses more force

than justifiable in front of a judge or jury, one may be paying for pain and suffering, personal damages,

loss of income etc for the remainder of the earthwalk here.

Please be careful, it is a chemical burn that has to be experienced to be believed, and lucky for me the

damage healed over a few weeks. Getting the victim to an eyewash or snowbank is crucial, and dial 911 

asap and tell the operator the incident occurred within minutes to mitigate potential legal action and prove

that the intention is not out of malicious victimization as you are responsible and trying to prevent damage.

A quick shot should do it from a few feet away...if not after that it is going to the 'crazy place'..

This product is a showstopper and check the legality where you live, not cool everywhere, and even here

if someone sees it in a pub on you, and calls it in, there will be some explaining to do to the police..

anyways, 'all fun and games till someone loses an eye..'

Nice options...

Having being nailed by pepperspray in a mugging attempt, and spending 4 hours in hospital,

a caveat may be in order.

Firstly, within i would guess a foot or 2 straight into the eyes, the possibility of permanent damage

is a real risk. Maiming an attacker may be the outcome, but with law enforcement, escalating 

response to force rules under test in court everyday, it also means that if a civilian uses more force

than justifiable in front of a judge or jury, one may be paying for pain and suffering, personal damages,

loss of income etc for the remainder of the earthwalk here.

Please be careful, it is a chemical burn that has to be experienced to be believed, and lucky for me the

damage healed over a few weeks. Getting the victim to an eyewash or snowbank is crucial, and dial 911 

asap and tell the operator the incident occurred within minutes to mitigate potential legal action and prove

that the intention is not out of malicious victimization as you are responsible and trying to prevent damage.

A quick shot should do it from a few feet away...if not after that it is going to the 'crazy place'..

This product is a showstopper and check the legality where you live, not cool everywhere, and even here

if someone sees it in a pub on you, and calls it in, there will be some explaining to do to the police..

anyways, 'all fun and games till someone loses an eye..'

I don't think we're talking a one on one normal fight here where you're using pep spray to get outta an asswhooping. We are talking self defense where it is him or you. I don't think that is the time to worry about legal ramifications. It's time to possibly save you and other's with you lives. Many kubattons can take and eye out or cause permanent damage. If it is legal in your area, you should have it as an option and not worry about the bills till you and your loved ones are safe at the police station writing up a report against them.

very good....I agree and the legal part may start later on if it all..

Just sayin that sometimes  a person get's hit like i did and the ball starts rolling..

Hope that does not start happening..

cheers...

Once again Mike...It is not like you meant anything to have to defend Yourself by Your Post..

I Love Your Posts..

I happened to be on the receiving end of a can of bearspray, no fault of My own..

It is a "blast from the past" that i would sooner forget.. It was difficult for me to get over..

My Wife and Step-daughter i would recommend having this as they are both beautiful.

I am sorry if U felt that that this experience made you feel like you had to defend your choice.

It is a good choice, just having experienced that choice, it is a serious choice..imho.

A few months later i was clubbed unconscious with a rotten 2x4. I found myself wandering

the streets and caught a cab. He refused to take me until i 'showed him the money' as i was 

bleeding heavily from my right temple. I would take this than the pepper spray..

my shake buddy..i appreciate what you are saying with your own choices Mike..

:)

Edited by Dan Seven
  • Upvote 1

Dan you got me all wrong buddy. I was never offended. I was just iterating how powerful a defensive weapon pepper spray can be, as you know personally. But your comments never bothered me. I enjoy your perspective on things. And I'm not that guy that thinks if we ever disagree on anything I believe you are against me. You never learn anything if everyone believes the same ideas. I'm sorry if my comments came off that way Dan.

• Upvote 1