Survival Threads
btl5008

hwo do you deal with EDC restrictions when traveling?

i recently went on a trip to san franciso and was very limited in what i could take with me.

for starters, i was flying there.  so you have all of those limitations that go along with air travel right from the start.  to compound that, we took only carry on luggage, so that further limited what i could bring with me, since while you can have a blade in checked baggage, they are a no go in carry ons. 

obviously i was still able to wear my watch and paracord bracelet.  and i was able to take my flashlight, but i am the type that feels almost naked when i do not have a good pocket knife on me.  i have carrying on most of my life and use them very frequently. 

my question for you is how do you deal with prepping and EDC when you are on the go?  driving is a completely different story as i already have a small bag in my car and carrying whatever i may need is not an issue, but how do you manage when you are forced to fly? 

im really just trying to brainstorm a bit so that next time i need to fly, i can have a few ideas on how i can maintain my preparedness while i am away.  we all know that issues can crop up at anytime.  and in my experience, issues will tend to compound themselves when you are outside of your comfort zone (as in say, out of town or on vacation).    anyone have any thoughts or wish to share their own experiences?  curious how others go about maintaining their preparedness when they are out of town.

• Upvote 1

Dear btl5008,

As I travel quite a bit, and feel your pain.  If you travel between continents it gets quite interesting.  

Never have the items on you or in your carry on luggage!  Put your EDC items in the main luggage and inside your shoes (that works for me). I also take the smallest of the regular item I can find,

I always check the laws before I go and even when I am there, I never show what gear I have with me.  Conceal as much as possible.  When I need to use an item like a knife, I usually do it were no one sees me.  Never assist anyone with items from your EDC as this can land you in a world of hurt.

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

WP_20150627_006.jpg

WP_20150523_008.jpg

WP_20150523_007.jpg

• Upvote 1

Checked luggage only. Had to mail a swak from an airport back to myself, thankfully i had the time...

Imho there is just no way anymore..the airport has become a microcosm of our existential, nihilistic

armageddon fears, that is to be examined for, at the microscopic level for personal contamination of even 

the smallest blade lengths, for evidence of this viral and rampant, weaponizing-terror consciousness.

Of course, as judged by a person with a gun, often with combat experience. yippee..

Edited by Dan Seven
  • Upvote 2

This is a really tough topic. I don't think there's much besides what you've done that you could do, unfortunately :(

I suppose if you're going to be someplace for a while, you could buy a cheap pocket knife either while you're there or have it waiting for you, but with regards to being on a plane, having a good flashlight and a watch and paracord bracelet is probably going to have to cut it for carry on.

A word of caution for those who might be a little forgetful like myself.. be sure to check everything you're going to take on the plane before you go, even your wallet, especially especially if you carry one of those credit card knives on you regularly. You don't want to be caught with that on you. My cousin almost went through security with one of those. He managed to remember in time and then disposed of it before he went through security, but it was definitely a close one as they surely would've given him plenty of trouble.

• Upvote 2

I keep one bag ( bureaucratic survival , hereafter known as BS bag ) pre packed with only what I can carry on to an aircraft including passport, vaccination records, insulin, glaucometer, camera, cloths, clean loaded laptop computer and enough cash to be able to buy a cheap set of tools at my destination, which I can throw away before returning. Empty my pockets before heading to the airport with the exception of a key to get at my stuff on return. Even at that I've had my key fob confiscated as it was a 2 inch long crescent wrench ( I might have tried to maliciously fix something ). In some ways it doesn't hurt to have something like that so the security people can prove they are protecting society and as a traveller you can thank them for enlightening you as to the dangers of 2 inch crescent wrenches.

Old radio tech. tips.. if you do things right immediately then when the complaints happen you are stuck ( tower lights are too bright, radio signal is messing up the TV and making the washing machine over suds... ) so point the lights right at the local houses , and don't connect the radios to the new antennas right away. So you can re-aim the lights and everyone is happy because they are now better, and when the interference complaint is lodged " can't be me, it's not connected yet."   

Same applies to security people, give them something to find that isn't major enough to really be a problem and gracefully surrender it, and everyone is happy. I really should change the name of my phones wifi hot spot from "Shining Path of Least Resistance" though, that could bite me if I forget and leave it on.

• Upvote 2

Same applies to security people, give them something to find that isn't major enough to really be a problem and gracefully surrender it, and everyone is happy. I really should change the name of my phones wifi hot spot from "Shining Path of Least Resistance" though, that could bite me if I forget and leave it on.

I completely agree Gary:

A little bit of gristle for them to chew on to texture the pablum of their daily existence.

And Yes, they easily fall back on the free ride 'least resistance' soon enough to plot ways of taking advantage of themselves like rippin off a 'free' signal from the paid source..typical...

Staying Warm up there ?

Edited by Dan Seven
  • Upvote 2

I completely agree Gary:

A little bit of gristle for them to chew on to texture the pablum of their daily existence.

And Yes, they easily fall back on the free ride 'least resistance' soon enough to plot ways of taking advantage of themselves like rippin off a 'free' signal from the paid source..typical...

Staying Warm up there ?

I've made a point of showing the pocket in my bush hat was empty. Was news to them that it existed. :D Not too worried about net use, but airports have been locked down over suspect WIFI names. Generally C&I people are a humourless lot. ( "Sir your car is smoking."  "It's old enough" .. Guy just looked confused ) I did get one in China to crack a grin though. You know the passport photo rules, No hat, No glasses, "Neutral" expression... well the agent was looking back and forth between me and the picture so I said "Oh yeah" and lifted my hat, took off my glasses and scowled, she actually laughed.

In Regina for a few days, should be heading home today. Too hot here visiting Mom.

Edited by Gary_Gough
more to say
  • Upvote 3

I agree with Dan, really good advice on the giving the security guards a bone so to speak.

Generally C&I people are a humourless lot. ( "Sir your car is smoking."  "It's old enough" .. Guy just looked confused ) I did get one in China to crack a grin though. You know the passport photo rules, No hat, No glasses, "Neutral" expression... well the agent was looking back and forth between me and the picture so I said "Oh yeah" and lifted my hat, took off my glasses and scowled, she actually laughed.

When I was a kid, I used to carry pretty much every keychain I owned on my carry-on backpack. I had this one that read "How do you keep an idiot busy for hours? Turn this keyring over >" on both sides. Much to my surprise, one of the security guys actually took a look at it when I wasn't paying attention, and liked it so much he laughed and showed it to one of the people he was working with. Was pretty surprised when they both started laughing over it, and definitely the only time I've ever managed to see a laugh or smile out of any of them. Happened a few years after 9/11, though not while travelling to the States, somewhere in Europe when coming back to Canada.

Maybe I'll get my hands on a slew of funny keychains and give it another shot.

• Upvote 2

Unfortunately we must do something that is most appalling to us all, that is leave your gear behind. You can try to hide it, but if found by security officials then it will look like you are up to something far worse than just taking your gear with you.
I try to avoid those venues where my gear isn't welcome. But we can't always do that. If you want to fly you gotta leave your blades behind, it matters not that you have no intentions of using them in a dubious way.
Now while I have successfully hidden gear and gone into places where its not supposed to be and have not gotten caught, the risk of doing so could include penalties far worse than I am willing to face. So I guess we just gotta obey the law.
But you know, we are one step ahead of everybody even without our gear. Many of us survival minded people on here will think of ways to fashion what we need should the need arise. We won't panic like everybody else out there crying "What'll we do? We don't have this, we don't have that". No not us. We will find a way to get what we want and do what we have to do no matter what the circumstances. Why? Because its in our nature. We are survivors. Our minds are constantly in that mode. We see things most don't see and how things can be used to our advantage. No blade, no problem. We'll find something that will suffice for a blade, and if we can't, hell we'll make one.
So while we wish not to leave our precious gear behind, there is something we don't have to leave behind, our brains, our knowledge, our survival instincts and attitudes. Our constant scanning around, scheming and planning what we will do and what we can use. They can't make you leave that at home.

• Upvote 2

So very true to all of that.

And if we aren't very good at being adaptable/creative with what's around us, we should get to be, as that's the biggest step toward being able to survive in as many different situations as we can.

• Upvote 1

Unfortunately we must do something that is most appalling to us all, that is leave your gear behind. You can try to hide it, but if found by security officials then it will look like you are up to something far worse than just taking your gear with you.
I try to avoid those venues where my gear isn't welcome. But we can't always do that. If you want to fly you gotta leave your blades behind, it matters not that you have no intentions of using them in a dubious way.
Now while I have successfully hidden gear and gone into places where its not supposed to be and have not gotten caught, the risk of doing so could include penalties far worse than I am willing to face. So I guess we just gotta obey the law.
But you know, we are one step ahead of everybody even without our gear. Many of us survival minded people on here will think of ways to fashion what we need should the need arise. We won't panic like everybody else out there crying "What'll we do? We don't have this, we don't have that". No not us. We will find a way to get what we want and do what we have to do no matter what the circumstances. Why? Because its in our nature. We are survivors. Our minds are constantly in that mode. We see things most don't see and how things can be used to our advantage. No blade, no problem. We'll find something that will suffice for a blade, and if we can't, hell we'll make one.
So while we wish not to leave our precious gear behind, there is something we don't have to leave behind, our brains, our knowledge, our survival instincts and attitudes. Our constant scanning around, scheming and planning what we will do and what we can use. They can't make you leave that at home.

well said.  sometimes you just find yourself in a situation where having you gear ( a knife in particular) just isnt feasible.  I too have snuck items into areas where strictly speaking they were not allowed, but sometimes the legal ramifications just arent worth the risk

now that you mention it, i often find myself pseudo scavenging.  im always looking around just to see whats there.  even when im at work walking around a job site, im always sizing things up and thinking how it could be useful.  even when i do have all of my standard stuff on hand.

• Upvote 2

Fortunately, I haven't had to fly for years, now.  I used to mail a folder and a multitool to myself at my hotel, then back home.  (a BIG PITA)

2 years ago, I ALMOST had to fly to England for meetings and found this one from NZ that was "UK-safe".  Short, no lock, but still usable and wouldn't accidentally  close up on me. A useful "farmer's tool" that raised no alarms.

20151206_214058.jpg

• Upvote 4

Fortunately, I haven't had to fly for years, now.  I used to mail a folder and a multitool to myself at my hotel, then back home.  (a BIG PITA)

2 years ago, I ALMOST had to fly to England for meetings and found this one from NZ that was "UK-safe".  Short, no lock, but still usable and wouldn't accidentally  close up on me. A useful "farmer's tool" that raised no alarms.

Very cool knife! I like it a lot!

• Upvote 1

Sweet little Blade Wyzyrd:

Of course multitools or a SWAK in checked luggage should be ok, and i have not had one confiscated through checked luggage in the last half a dozen Int'l Flights i have taken..

I am still old enough to remember the TV series MacGuyver   and when he was not busy defusing nuclear armaments and such, there were a few episodes where he appeared simply out to prove the theory that 'combat' was simply recognizing the design elements of the environment and using them to one's advantage. I think this is thematically correct for the last posts here and as valid now as then.

Maybe we need an updated TV Series to reflect the modern restrictions and value climate?

cheers

• Upvote 1

For me personally this is an issue I grapple with daily, Elise can walk around Toronto with whatever she wants. She EDC's Spyderco's with no thought to blade length or how aggressive it looks whilst I tend to over analyze how people perceive what I carry.

Always have a rough time with immigration & interactions with the police in general, something to do with not looking friendly...

• Upvote 1

Thomas:

I think that Girls get a better break because they are lovely, and the more appealing,

the bigger break they get. A lot of this is man-made.

The more lovely, the bigger the break, to the point of 'fatal attraction'...

This should give us spouses a bit of breathing space imho...

• Upvote 1

Quote from Elise:

S'cool guys. We'll carry the knives for you.

I think if this was the law the World would be a safer place,

as it appears Women are the more sober lot..

cheers

• Upvote 1

Quote from Elise:

S'cool guys. We'll carry the knives for you.

I think if this was the law the World would be a safer place,

as it appears Women are the more sober lot..

cheers

Not sure Dan, I once saw a 40 Kg woman take on 2 * 90 Kg city cops and I felt sorry for the cops. Of course Sheila was manic at the time and had been deliberately starting fights in the bar. ( yes, a friend, but she really was the one in the wrong and the cops were only trying to remove her. She took out a light and two windows on the way out. ) Assault charges were dismissed by the judge on looking at meek ( in court ) , tiny, Sheila vs. 2 large police. The judge hadn't been there.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Gary_Gough said:

Not sure Dan, I once saw a 40 Kg woman take on 2 * 90 Kg city cops and I felt sorry for the cops. Of course Sheila was manic at the time and had been deliberately starting fights in the bar. ( yes, a friend, but she really was the one in the wrong and the cops were only trying to remove her. She took out a light and two windows on the way out. ) Assault charges were dismissed by the judge on looking at meek ( in court ) , tiny, Sheila vs. 2 large police. The judge hadn't been there.

I know I probably shouldn't but I found this post so amusing, haha. Yes, definitely shouldn't underestimate a woman gone mad.

Can't say I'm all that sorry for the cops, though..