Survival Threads
Thomas

CRKT, Cold Steel & Fenix Arrivals

The following shinies arrived on Friday;

2015-07-10-18.47.thumb.jpg.5b63873a45d8e

• Cold Steel Finn Wolf - I currently love the heck out of this thing, very nice grinds and a lot of utility. Proper review to come but as an initial opinion I think its a solid (ROCK solid) knife at a very low price point.
  • CRKT Drifter - Interesting folder, smaller than I thought it would be and frankly it doesn't seem to offer much in the way of innovation or performance. Not worth it based on first appearances but we will see when I finally review it.
  • Fenix E05 SS - Very good looking light, construction is top notch and brightness is perfectly viable. Elise loves it.
  • Fenix E01 - Disappointing, very inexpensive but output is similar to a dollar store keychain light. Knurling is nice though. 

Obviously those are just initial impressions and the real testing will happen later but all in all it was a good day. Cold Steel is really impressing me recently despite their PR stunts as of late.

Have any of you handled any of those items? What do you think?

• Upvote 1

Thomas how did you add the images? Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I use the website (not tapatalk) I will test this out on tapatalk right now!

2015-07-14-04.46.thumb.jpg.79c54bf20a865

It uses tapatalk servers to host the images so it will require you to sign into tapatalk, if you upload using the website (not the app) it is hosted by us!

When you click the camera icon you will have the option of taking a new photo or uploading one from your gallery.

Hope that helps!

• Upvote 2

Thomas, do you have any flashlights that use 18650 batteries? I have a bunch of high mAh/high amp rating ones from when I used to vape and thought that if I am going to not just toss them that I may as well get a fancy flashlight. 

• Upvote 2

Thomas, do you have any flashlights that use 18650 batteries? I have a bunch of high mAh/high amp rating ones from when I used to vape and thought that if I am going to not just toss them that I may as well get a fancy flashlight. 

I love my Fenix UC40 which uses 18650, also have a few cheapies (Ultrafire W-501) which I love due to an excellent clicky mechanism.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I think I will pick up an Ultrafire and test it out. Most of the time I just buy super cheap flashlights from places like Harbor Freight as I do tend to lose them. I rarely lose other things though.

• Upvote 1

Thanks. I think I will pick up an Ultrafire and test it out. Most of the time I just buy super cheap flashlights from places like Harbor Freight as I do tend to lose them. I rarely lose other things though.

Let me know how you find it once you receive it!

• Upvote 1

Thomas,

does the Fenix E05 SS have a pocket clip?  i am in the market for a new EDC light around that size range, but i require a pocket clip.  any further impressions of that one, or any other recommendations in a similar size range?

Thanks,

• Upvote 1

Let me know how you find it once you receive it!

I ended up getting the Ultrafire C8. It was cheap at $10.89 USD and was not going to take a month to arrive. So far it is okay. The button is on the base and is nice and clicky. However, the button does seem to be a bit temperamental if I bump it. It may be due to the fact that the batteries I have are buttonless 18650's and the device prefers button-top, or it could be unrelated. Extremely bright light, weight is fine. It is compatible with some gun mounts apparently as well. No idea as to run duration. I am thinking about making sure a battery is at full charge tonight and then turning the flashlight on and leaving it that way when I go to bed just to see if it will last a while. 

• Upvote 1