Survival Threads
Wyzyrd

Not sure if I like this one or not....

The Gerber Freescape Camp Kitchen Knife.   I actually found this one in a copy of the Sierra Club magazine, while in the hospital waiting room, as my GF had knee-replacement surgery, this past summer.

So far, only used as a "backyard BBQ sidearm", and it worked decently well. Hoping to give it a better workout when the weather warms up.

Pros:

I really like the "Santoku" shape for cooking and general-purpose use.

The "padded" hilt makes it unnecessary to file down the spine for a comfortable pinch grip.

Seems pretty heavy-duty and "indestructable". Overall balance and feel is good.

Cons:

The sheath is an unmitigated DISASTER. Some bright spark of an industrial designer thought that feeding the whole length of a velcro-tipped strap through a nylon d-ring to tie down the blade was a good idea. It is NOT.  I contact-cemented/sewed on more velcro and some bankline for a more "normal" safety strap. I'll eventually build a leather sheath. This alone could be a deal-breaker. Out-of-the-box, like totally taking on or off a Teva River-Runner sandal every time you need the knife.

Coated Stainless. Not a ferro-rod sparker.

The spine of the blade is a little over 1/8 inch thick, and only 4 inches long.  Good for a tough outdoor knife, clumsy and short for a kitchen tool, even if you're working on a treestump.

The "Zombie Apocalypse Green" and reflective silver trim is quite annoying. 

Interesting, but I can't really recommend for or against until I use it more.

20151218_180850.jpg

• Upvote 1

For your consideration.. Some cheap paring knives for the emergency pack, backpack etc.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/kitchen/knives/knife-sets/starfrit-safety-paring-knives-4-pc-0423087p.html

or alternately

http://www.amazon.com/Prepworks-Progressive-Safety-Paring-Knives/dp/B0014JVSAC

Bought a set as they looked like a good choice for tossing into any bag that might end up being used without planning. One needed sharpening right away but three were quite acceptable out of the bubble pack. I've seen one review claiming they rust in the dishwasher, I can't really say as I refuse to put anything sharper then a table knife into one of those edge destroying machines.

Probably a case of you get what you pay for, but I've been using one that I tossed in the catch all drawer ( cover means I can ) and it holds an edge and slices onions, carrots, tomatoes and avocados just fine.

0423087_1.jpeg

• Upvote 2

I really dig the style of the blade, not sure on the colouration, now that you have owned it for a while- any feedback? How does the edge hold up? Based on those photographs, it looks like a pretty high hollow grind.

• Upvote 1

Well, definitely a mixed bag. I have been mostly using it as a bbq sidearm, on a paracord braid 'baldric', along with a digital thermometer and a hammer loop to hold tongs.

Good for at the moment cutting and trimming, but it is NOT a chefs knife.

Edge has held up very well when used as a  bushcraft knife for rough trimming.  I prefer the condor bushlore for that, thinner blade spine.

The finish has not worn or scratched,and the Santuko shape is generally handy.

A pretty good knife, not a great knife.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On January 3, 2016 at 9:52 PM, Gary_Gough said:

For your consideration.. Some cheap paring knives for the emergency pack, backpack etc.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/kitchen/knives/knife-sets/starfrit-safety-paring-knives-4-pc-0423087p.html

or alternately

Bought a set as they looked like a good choice for tossing into any bag that might end up being used without planning. One needed sharpening right away but three were quite acceptable out of the bubble pack. I've seen one review claiming they rust in the dishwasher, I can't really say as I refuse to put anything sharper then a table knife into one of those edge destroying machines.

Probably a case of you get what you pay for, but I've been using one that I tossed in the catch all drawer ( cover means I can ) and it holds an edge and slices onions, carrots, tomatoes and avocados just fine.

0423087_1.jpeg

I've bought a couple sets of these. Have almost wore a couple of them out.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

On 04/01/2016 at 3:52 AM, Gary_Gough said:

or alternately

0423087_1.jpeg

I carry a cheap Ceramic Prepping Knife in my Bug out Bag and whenever I go into the bush ... these things never need sharpening ... the only downside is their lack of strength but provided you only use for food prep you shouldn't really have an issue.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, preppingandsurvivalguide.com said:

I carry a cheap Ceramic Prepping Knife in my Bug out Bag and whenever I go into the bush ... these things never need sharpening ... the only downside is their lack of strength but provided you only use for food prep you shouldn't really have an issue.

Yeah, $3.50 at the "Dollorama" for ceramics. I like both but the steel ones are easy to keep up and cut straight. ( after sharpening 1 ) I find the cheap ceramics I have pull to one side, and I'd need a finer diamond sharpener then I have to properly correct that. Slightly more expensive ceramic set is bang on but have had to repair one that chipped the tip when accidentally struck. ( diamond grinder stone fixed that, don't push ).

IMG_3777smcr.JPG.46ef17475803a84497b0fc30d2859691.JPG

$7.00 in Dollorama knives, you get what you pay for. The steel one has a 3 cm tang that pulled out of the handle on the third use ( thus the reason it got drilled, tapped and a machine screw run through and cut off flush, that gray dot in the hard red plastic ) the blade is more stain resistant then stainless, but takes and holds a good edge.

Still like the plastic sheaths on the original paring knives, and the ones getting lots of use are holding up well. The ones in the emergency packs are pristine largely due to lack of an emergency.

Colour code on those I gather is for kosher cooking, dairy, meat, veg and I'm not sure...

• Like 1