Survival Threads
Wyzyrd

Any Experience with Cold Steel's "Kitchen Classics" line?

Katie doesn't feel comfortable yet using an 8 inch chef's knife or a Chinese cleaver in the kitchen. She's  from the Southern "paring knife" old-school tradition. The last time that (serrated) thing was sharp, Bill Clinton was President, so I have been looking at getting her a replacement, without spending a fortune, so I ordered a CS "Kitchen Classics" 3 inch paring knife - it LOOKS like their other blades, and costs approx. $10US, so we can experiment. 

Anyone have any experience with these?  If it works, could also be a good neck-knife a la Russell Woodswalker. - who knows?

Also picked up another CS Canadian Belt Knife that I WON'T handle-wrap (for ease of cleaning) - she might like that one too....

Ahhhh.. the woes of being a knife-geek :) 

• Upvote 1

From the description it sounds like a winner, esp. like the "flat grind" design. A thin blade without a blunt leading edge, great for food processing as long as you aren't trying to hack through bones. One of my favourite ancient knives ( Northcraft Masterchef ) has the same philosophy and it's my first choice most of the time ( ok 8" blade and a riveted wood handle ). 

• Upvote 1

Just an update:

The SO seems to really love the Canadian, as I hoped she would. :)

I'm not exactly disappointed with the "Kitchen Classics" paring knife, but a bit surprised.  Quality was generally very good, but the final bevel was a bit on the rough side.  First CS product I ever owned that NEEDED (as opposed to just got as SOP) a final honing to get a very good edge.  A couple minutes with an Arkansas stone and a ceramic steel fixed it quickly, but a heads-up. 

I can't complain much for 8 bucks :)

• Upvote 1

Kind of an update: I love this dang knife.

I actually got 3 more. The price is right (now 9 bucks US), an looks like the edge on the first one was a one-off error. The rest were good out of the packaging.  One of these, in a leather sheath,along with a pocket for a ceramic crockstick is my edc choice. Another in my truck and a toolkit backup as well as in the kitchen. 

Small enough that (here, anyway ) never mistaken for a weapon, faster access than a folder and easy to keep very sharp (do not use a tungsten carbide V tool on it, you just make it duller than the flat grind.)

Worth a try, you may well like it  :)

Edited by Wyzyrd
  • Like 1

The Canadian model was certainly modeled after the Russell Belt Knife.  I wonder if they had to pay any sort of patent royalties, or if there is no such thing as intellectual property rights for knife designs (jewellers have no hold on their designs, and are extremely protective as a result).  My Russell has no patent # on it, just stamped RD 1964.  I had a smaller one years ago but unwisely traded it away.  I'll keep my eyes open for the CS one in my travels.

On 22/10/2017 at 9:02 PM, Wyzyrd said:

Kind of an update: I love this dang knife.

I actually got 3 more. The price is right (now 9 bucks US), an looks like the edge on the first one was a one-off error. The rest were good out of the packaging.  One of these, in a leather sheath,along with a pocket for a ceramic crockstick is my edc choice. Another in my truck and a toolkit backup as well as in the kitchen. 

Small enough that (here, anyway ) never mistaken for a weapon, faster access than a folder and easy to keep very sharp (do not use a tungsten carbide V tool on it, you just make it duller than the flat grind.)

Worth a try, you may well like it  :)

I think you just convinced me to snap one up!

4 hours ago, Wyzyrd said:

Since we were talking , here's a shot on my edc paring knife rig :)

20171105_094432.jpg

Kinda looks like a tactical kephart! Very cool.