Survival Threads

Hi, well no, it's not new as it has been used  ( a lot) over last 2x years.

I really do like the Cold steel Rajah 2 as it ticks my boxes. AND makes me smile :P

If you want or need a large knife and can't carry a 5 inch + blade, then this is certainly a  great option.

As I spend a fair amount of time in the tropics and " Need" a large knife, but don't want to carry  one around in public or simply don't have the space.

It is in Aus 8, but I'm fine with that. Takes a good edge and retains it even on coconuts husks.

Will get a new Rajah 3 in upgraded steel, but only as a backup as it would be heart breaking to lose it as it has become a important part of my options for overall versatility.

A folding knife will not be as strong as "most" fixed blades, but sure has taken a sensible beating in my hands. Coped with everything so far. (brilliantly)

If any one has broken one, let me know..

And yes, have owned and still do, large "normal" sized Kukris. Just a pain to carry in built up area.. Havn't found anything that a Kukri style blade  can't do, that a "normal" shaped blade won't in this sized area.

Have taken off the pocket clip as this makes it more comfortable to use seriously and I'm not going to carry it in pocket.O.o

I get enough strange looks as it is..

cheers

• Upvote 2

Have spent 10 hours over last two W/E.s dealing to the local walking track. Concentrated yesterday on wild Ginger groves. This is quite soft fibre and just difficult as it needs to be cut from underneath, otherwise I have then do a second cut from above.  If I don't, Council will spray it.

So.. in comparison to my C.S., L.T.C. Kukri, there is no difference between them other than the added reach (of course) of the LTC.

The Rajah2 is really a great knife option  if you need a Full size Kukri style knife but are unable to carry one for what ever reason.

Yes, I'm a fan.

• Upvote 2

Dear kiwitransient,

I am also a kukri fan, the blade to me is ideal for everything!

As for the Rajah2, I have the AUS8 and a friend of mine also carries the AUS8 Rajah 2&3 and he has taken them through Africa.  He knows how to use a knife and feels the Rajah2 is strong enough for any task and has proven it numerous times.  The Rajah3 is a backup incase he needs to go to town or the 2 gets lost.

In the field I carry the CS Gurka Kukri in SK5 but the Rajah2 is still in the pocket and gets used the most.

Unless you do something “stupid” I cannot see the Rajah2 failing.  Enjoy, let me know if the blade steel upgrade is worth it.

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

Edited by Rowan
wrong post
  • Upvote 1

Yep, the more I use it, the more it is appreciated as a versatile tool that would be missed if not in backpack.

I'm am a knife addict, so of course have lots to choose from. This is one of those tools that just perform above expectations.

Felt it was a bit of a gimmick when first read about them. Fancy a Talwar just for wannabe factor, but couldn't see myself getting any use or "value" other than cool tool factor.

The Rajah 2 is just a  great tool, that can be carried in canvas sheath and used lots when required. Very good value. Am tempted to make a solid sheath, but this is just not the knife for that. (my opinion) I have other BIG basterd knives with hard sheaths for bush whacking when planned. The Rajah rides along to be used when my Spyderco Tuff is not enough. (another knife that cuts above it's weight)

My other tool that always seems to get thrown in is the Gerber Exchange blade saw. Excellent value for money, and has seen a incredible amount of use. It is used on board as my saw for cutting plywood and solid wood when doing repairs etc. The course blade is fantastic on trees and would (no pun intended) make a devastating weapon.  On larger trees, it is used to under cut until it just starts to pinch, then use Kukri or saw to fell. Had mine for 20 odd years now and still going strong. The fine blade makes the smoothest cuts on wood I've ever seen. Almost polishes it.

• Upvote 2

On 2/16/2016 at 3:01 AM, kiwitransient said:

Yep, the more I use it, the more it is appreciated as a versatile tool that would be missed if not in backpack.

I'm am a knife addict, so of course have lots to choose from. This is one of those tools that just perform above expectations.

Felt it was a bit of a gimmick when first read about them. Fancy a Talwar just for wannabe factor, but couldn't see myself getting any use or "value" other than cool tool factor.

The Rajah 2 is just a  great tool, that can be carried in canvas sheath and used lots when required. Very good value. Am tempted to make a solid sheath, but this is just not the knife for that. (my opinion) I have other BIG basterd knives with hard sheaths for bush whacking when planned. The Rajah rides along to be used when my Spyderco Tuff is not enough. (another knife that cuts above it's weight)

My other tool that always seems to get thrown in is the Gerber Exchange blade saw. Excellent value for money, and has seen a incredible amount of use. It is used on board as my saw for cutting plywood and solid wood when doing repairs etc. The course blade is fantastic on trees and would (no pun intended) make a devastating weapon.  On larger trees, it is used to under cut until it just starts to pinch, then use Kukri or saw to fell. Had mine for 20 odd years now and still going strong. The fine blade makes the smoothest cuts on wood I've ever seen. Almost polishes it.

I have thought about picking up a Spyderco Tuff a bunch of times but the price has always made me hesitant- what are your thoughts on it? How tough is the tuff? ;) 

• Upvote 1

Hi Thomas, I like the Tuff as it has the Tip Top quality of Spyderco Taichung manufacturing. (gorgeous).

Certainly is very ergonomic, typically Schempp, user friendly.  He really spends a lot of energy designing knives to hold and use. :x  MASSIVE pivot pin. AND in 3v steel.

People have moaned about short cutting edge. Hasn't been a issue for me.

IF I had only one option available to me for a folder (other than Leatherman wave as multi tool) either this or my titanium Military would be my choices. Tough and easy to clean with to open back. Definitely something to consider in the field with blood and sand/dirt to clean out.

And even though is called a Tuff for a reason, I havn't beat on it. Too expensive to thrash, even if I'm sure it can hack it..

Darn shame it has been deleted from Spyderco's line up.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, kiwitransient said:

Hi Thomas, I like the Tuff as it has the Tip Top quality of Spyderco Taichung manufacturing. (gorgeous).

Certainly is very ergonomic, typically Schempp, user friendly.  He really spends a lot of energy designing knives to hold and use. :x  MASSIVE pivot pin. AND in 3v steel.

People have moaned about short cutting edge. Hasn't been a issue for me.

IF I had only one option available to me for a folder (other than Leatherman wave as multi tool) either this or my titanium Military would be my choices. Tough and easy to clean with to open back. Definitely something to consider in the field with blood and sand/dirt to clean out.

And even though is called a Tuff for a reason, I havn't beat on it. Too expensive to thrash, even if I'm sure it can hack it..

Darn shame it has been deleted from Spyderco's line up.

Didn't know it had been discontinued! :( I guess I will have to get one on the secondary market if I see it pop up at the right price.

Gotta be honest and say that the divot holes all over the scales really turn me off. Good to hear its a good performer though.

• Upvote 1

Actually, they are more dimples than holes. think of them as texture.

Thought of putting some white out in for colour contrast.. but didn't pimp my dimples9_9

You will be a Ed. Schemmp fan if you get one in hand.

You know what they say, "Once you try a Schemmp, your other knives are temp.(ary)"

• Upvote 1

Just a note about lanyards.

Have recently added some reflective 3-4mm  line to replace genuine para cord.

Makes knife easier to see in back pack or if put down somewhere. Still trying to get hold of some bright coloured reflective paracord.

• Upvote 1