Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

What's Your Favorite Fire Starter?

What's Your Favorite Fire Starter?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. What's Your Favorite Fire Starter?

• Wet Fire (commercial product)
    • Fat Wood
    • Cotton balls and vaseline
    • Magnesium
    • Birds Nest
    • Other

This is interesting..

On the trail i use whatever i can find and go into hunter-gatherer mode..

The Winter makes it tougher. Quite frankly, fire starter is easy to find here

with a little bit of knowledge. I carry something fluffy anyways as i am lazy.

What has made a lot of sense here is cotton and vaseline. I am using vaseline

today on cracked lips and flaky eyebrows as no humidity..I am a big fan of 

make-up wipes and feminine napkins because not only do they burn well with

vaseline or not, but you can use them to wipe yourself, or as a bandage, or for 

cleaning. For instance, a warmed vaseline make up remover pad is a willow twig

away as barrel lube 'patch' for a rifle or shotgun, as well as for the mechanism.

Try that with baggie full of dryer lint..or most other tinder or charcloth options..

Multi-use sometimes means compromise, and it is possible to get your personal

hygienic absorbents to double for firestarting, cleaning, sanitation, wicking, filtration,

and bandaging and...well, you will use a lot less vaseline on other red and upset parts..

Not to belabor the point, as been said before, grams turn to kilos, kilos turn to pain.

Having firestarter and something to wipe yourself with is a Good Deal

ps..

Utilizing vaseline with some firearms, say a Glock, is not a great idea.

cheers

Edited by Dan Seven
  • Upvote 4

Dear dthomasdigital,

I have to say I have not found anything better to light a fire in wet or windy conditions than cotton balls with Vaseline.

When I show kids how to use a fire steel I also start them with cotton balls with Vaseline.  I love seeing their faces when they light a fire like Bear Grills.  Hooked for life on the outdoors after that!!!WP_20140726_025.thumb.jpg.b0eeca9b4a6a59DSCN3451.thumb.JPG.5eaab1c0efebcd1c6ed4dDSCN3453.thumb.JPG.b2c6431a90906f0d907efDSCN3454.thumb.JPG.b987476249e210febc93bDSCN3454.thumb.JPG.b987476249e210febc93bWP_20140726_021.thumb.jpg.566fc91f534523WP_20140726_022.thumb.jpg.e56071be4f1003

In Africa we also have wild cotton that grows in nature and winter time and we have abundance of tinder that starts easily with a fire steel.

Kind regards,
Rowan H. Robbertze

• Upvote 2

My favorite man-made tinder is pjcb (petroleum jelly cotton ball). For natural tinder here in Florida, nothing beats Sabal Palm fiber, aka Monkey Fur by the locals. 

DomC

• Upvote 3

@dthomasdigital  So true about the Bic..i am not sure how folks outside in the smoking area would deal with it, if i took out a bit of cotton and a firesteel and hunkered down on the asphalt to light my cigarette. Maybe they would understand.

O.o

• Upvote 3

Bic's work well except when they are really cold. Got to hold them for a while or put them in a shirt pocket or under your arm pit for a minute or so. I always take a pack of matches when out and about in winter just in case. Even my zippo's need warming when it's minus 15 C. I use a wound up paper towel to light the coleman lamp when camping but sometimes have just used a shopping receipt as well. Just stick it in the back pocket as a general rule when shopping. Just in case a SHFT occurs while I on the way home from getting milk and bread.

• Upvote 2

Well, I guess I am part of the hive mind since I also picked cotton balls & vaseline. Easy, portable and cheap with excellent results.

I practice lighting fires everyday at least 4-5 times in various conditions, see below for my general tool kit. ;)

IMG_20160311_155250317.thumb.jpg.e1ebb6e

Love that IM Corona Old Boy!

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Todd said:

Potato chips make great fire starter and an unhealthy snack if needed.

I can attest to that, I tried it using Doritos and dayummmm it worked. 

• Upvote 2

Old standby in Canada, Cheezies.

Not a favourite but, I've just lit a piece of charcoal with a violet laser testing it's output a few days ago. Basically a "blue ray" disk laser. If you want an obscure and silly high tech lighter while still being barely removed from flint and steel, that has to be it. 

• Upvote 1

Another option and fun to watch too.

Grant Thompson "King of Random". He has a bunch of great backyard projects ( foundry, welders, rockets .... )

Edited by Gary_Gough
  • Upvote 1

On 4/27/2016 at 11:19 AM, Gary_Gough said:

Another option and fun to watch too.

Grant Thompson "King of Random". He has a bunch of great backyard projects ( foundry, welders, rockets .... )

I love this channel. To the point and yes, very good place for learning easy to replicate backyard projects.

The last time I did this with anything other than a charcoal lighter, it was with a flint and steel with char cloth made from an old flannel shirt. I have recently moved into the 20th century with a Light My Fire fire steel and dryer lint. 

• Upvote 1

Instead of charcoal lighter, try 91 percent isopropyl rubbing alcohol from your local pharmacy aisle, a grease cutter, sanitizer,  FAST fire lighter, and your food won't taste like it was marinated in kerosene. Worth a try, but don't  drink it. I keep mine in red bottles with multiple rubber bands for tactile warning, so I don't have a stupid accident.

4 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Actually, I was talking about one of these things, but I didn't know what to call it:

https://www.amazon.com/Utility-Lighter-for-Bbqs-Fireplaces/dp/B000GFWH6Y?tag=survivalthreads-20

I have one of those, empty, hanging next to the propane stove to spark and light the burners. Pilot light would use a 20 lb tank on it's own over a year, so I turned it off. ( Cheap... well ok, yes I am. )

5 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Actually, I was talking about one of these things, but I didn't know what to call it:

https://www.amazon.com/Utility-Lighter-for-Bbqs-Fireplaces/dp/B000GFWH6Y?tag=survivalthreads-20

I keep a couple of these around. Excellent for the backpack and bugout bags

http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/refillable-candle-lighter-0762034p.html#srp

1 hour ago, Gary_Gough said:

I have one of those, empty, hanging next to the propane stove to spark and light the burners. Pilot light would use a 20 lb tank on it's own over a year, so I turned it off. ( Cheap... well ok, yes I am. )

Aren't we all?

Edited by Aquinas
  • Upvote 1