Survival Threads
Kaye :)

EDC Pouch

Any suggestions for a good EDC pouch? I've put a little money into a handful, but nothing quite organizes the way I'd like. I want it to unzip around all sides to open as a book. I'd like room for an regular size Altoid tin, knife, lighter, and a few other things of course. I've looked at the Maxpedition Micro, but that one doesn't look big enough. 

Thanks for any advice on a pouch AND/OR any other EDC advice.

• Upvote 1

Mmm, a tricky question. Women's clothing is terrible when it comes to pockets- to the point that I carry @Elise's stuff for her in my own wallet. 

I own a bunch of the Maxped "Organizer" pouches and they are very sturdy, for organization I like Cocoon grid-it style organizers that I then place into a messenger bag.

Another option would be an inexpensive camera pouch with webbing inside to hold the altoids tin + using the memory card pockets as sections for your lighter & other misc items.

I'll keep this thread open & post some pictures tomorrow with a altoids tin for reference!

Good thread Kaye!

• Upvote 3

I'll throw in a few observations, stuff I know will not work for everyone but maybe provoke some ideas.

If it ties up my hands I'm not going to be carrying it. So at a minimum belt loops, and better yet a jacket or cargo pants.

If you are ok with a denim jacket, some have what are effectively huge inside pockets ( large enough to conceal carry 6 beer ) that's besides the normal 4 external pockets. I punch some 1/4 inch brass eyes into the upper inside edge and chain a wallet and separate ID / card folder to those. Still have the usual pocket wallet with some cash in my back pocket, pull it out for small purchases and it would serve as a decoy if I found myself needing to negotiate with someone desperate / violent / stupid. 

Other stuff in the larger pic. belt pack with loads of zippered pockets. It's not EDC mostly because I don't need the space, but it does just snap on for more extended stuff ( contact lens cleaners, first aid extension, spare batteries, extra money... ) and the belt can hold another pack. That "Case Logic" is a portable DVD player case. Has solid belt loops, a handle or shoulder strap. Dirt cheap and re-purposes just fine.

Really pockets on stuff I'm wearing anyhow is my preference, don't even need to think about if I have something. Backpacks / shoulder bags are for moving between camp sites ( indoor camping applies too ).  

100_1749cr.JPG

100_1748sm.JPG

• Upvote 2

First of all, apologies for the cellphone pictures & the lack of altoids tin, for some reason I can't find my kit anywhere so I am using a Spyderco stretch as a reference!

First up Fatty Pocket Organizer by Maxpedition

IMG_20160203_202630931.thumb.jpg.2815424

IMG_20160203_202649208.thumb.jpg.0342316

Secondly its smaller (and thinner) sibling the Maxpedition Micro Pocket Organizer

IMG_20160203_202708692.thumb.jpg.ff6c2aa
IMG_20160203_202723186.jpg.6f2339ad8f628

And here we have a caselogic harddrive carry case. Its nicely made and less than 10 bucks.

IMG_20160203_202738177.jpg.23ae653ace865

IMG_20160203_202756892.thumb.jpg.643cdc4

And as the unorthodox option (as I mentioned) we have the Cocoon Organizers.

IMG_20160203_202817033.thumb.jpg.782bdda

I would take ones of these options, put my kit in it and throw that into my messenger bag/purse/whatever. Always organized whilst still being easily to remove and switch to a different bag.

• Upvote 2

Nice ideas Thomas. Those Maxpedition style organisers (slightly bigger) retail approx. $85 so are a expensive option. Have only one and the buckle on front pulled out of the fabric. 3x plastic studs holding it in. Glued the sucker back in. No more problems, yet. Just wish that some of these manufactures would make some easy seen/found color options. It's a pain trying to find pouch in bottom of dark backpack.

Edited by kiwitransient
  • Upvote 3

I've had fairly good luck with some of the Triple Aught Design pouches.  The newer style GPP1 is nice for a bunch of smaller items, but doesn't unzip to open book-like.  The old style OP1 pouch is fantastic, though a bit on the larger size.

• Upvote 3

On 2/4/2016 at 1:33 AM, kiwitransient said:

Nice ideas Thomas. Those Maxpedition style organisers (slightly bigger) retail approx. $85 so are a expensive option. Have only one and the buckle on front pulled out of the fabric. 3x plastic studs holding it in. Glued the sucker back in. No more problems, yet. Just wish that some of these manufactures would make some easy seen/found color options. It's a pain trying to find pouch in bottom of dark backpack.

I was browsing Ebay yesterday and saw Maxpedition Fattys for around $25.00. I think they are 8X6 (??)....and around two inches thick. I don't want to pay that much, but I've spent at least that amount on cases that haven't quite worked out the way I want.

• Upvote 1

On 2/6/2016 at 7:49 PM, Kaye :) said:

I was browsing Ebay yesterday and saw Maxpedition Fattys for around $25.00. I think they are 8X6 (??)....and around two inches thick. I don't want to pay that much, but I've spent at least that amount on cases that haven't quite worked out the way I want.

I'm not a fan of everything Maxpedition makes (especially not a fan of their bags - I don't know why; I love the way they look but they feel a bit too stiff to me), but I will say that I do really like their pouches. I'd suggest, if possible, checking 'em out in person before buying, but if you can't, I do think the pouches are a worthy investment. Better to be sure, though. I've bought sooo much online that I've found to be not quite what I wanted, so it makes me hesitant to buy things like clothes and most accessories online. That being said, the Maxpedition pouches, I was actually pretty happy with. Wouldn't take those purchases back.

• Upvote 2

I think Elise has the right idea about trying to find one you can hold in your hand before buying if possible.  I hate getting things that don't work and having to send them back, but sometimes that is the only way.  If you look online at the police supply sites you will find a ton of different pouch options.  I just got a Condor E & E bag and they make a bunch of pouches condoroutdoor.com will give you some ideas and then check the price on Amazon.

• Upvote 1