Survival Threads
Thomas

Drink of choice?

During winter I tend to enjoy sipping a dram of whiskey as the weather goes to shit (currently -11, was -24 two days ago).

Currently loving the Canadian Club Small Batch 12 year old;

IMG-20160218-WA0000.thumb.jpeg.22bf275d3

How about you? 

• Upvote 2

I am a total-- teetotaler, but I do like a cup of hot coffee with stevia and half & half. Does that count as being stout enough. No? OK.

I also like Uncle Lee's Organic Green Tea. I'm drinking that now, except cold.

• Upvote 3

Favorite Whiskey : Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye ..not expensive.

Voted #1 Whiskey in the World for 2016  in "The Whisky Bible"

http://whiskybible.com/northern-harvest-rye-all-97-5-points-alert/

For the Prepper it lasts as long as You need it to.

Favorite Beer:  Unibrou's "Le Fin Du Monde" Belgian Triple Ale

String of Medals and under 8$ for a 750ml big bottle.

For the Prepper it last about 5 years before it actually peaks.

http://www.unibroue.com/en/beers/15/medals

Favorite Drink   Clean Water

cheers

Edited by Dan Seven
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Kaye :) said:

I am a total-- teetotaler, but I do like a cup of hot coffee with stevia and half & half. Does that count as being stout enough. No? OK.

If you think it counts then it counts @Kaye :) !

55 minutes ago, Dan Seven said:

Favorite Whiskey : Crown Royal Northern Harvest Rye ..not expensive.

Voted #1 Whiskey in the World for 2016  in "The Whisky Bible"

http://whiskybible.com/northern-harvest-rye-all-97-5-points-alert/

For the Prepper it lasts as long as You need it to.

Favorite Beer:  Unibrou's "Le Fin Du Monde" Belgian Triple Ale

String of Medals and under 8$ for a 750ml big bottle.

For the Prepper it last about 5 years before it actually peaks.

http://www.unibroue.com/en/beers/15/medals

Favorite Drink   Clean Water

cheers

LCBO has been sold out of that Crown Royal every time I have been in. :( I shan't stop searching though!

Never tried that beer, I think you may have a more sophisticated palate than me!

Clean water is always pleasant, I admit I have recently begun to dash it with various water enhancers- it reminds me to drink more which has always been a sticking point with me. 

• Upvote 1

@ThomasWell i am not so sure if my tastes are sophisticated, however i know what i like usually.

A Belgian triple is not for everyone. It is at 9% alcohol, so dropping a 750ml bottle is 

the same effect as 4 cans of Schlitz or Pabst Blue Ribbon. So, the cool thing is that the 

bottle has a champagne cork and is dark brown, so have a glass then cork it again.

The bottle is awesome for berry syrups and home-made vinegars and so i re-use them.

Just push a cork in and recess it 7mm or 1/4 inch and then top it off with wax and then a foil 

helmet because mice hate chewing foil. Waste not want not..

cheers

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Dan Seven said:

@PappyHiker   Bourbon is good. Here Wild Turkey is cheaper than Jim Beam or Jack

for some reason, yet i find it is more drinkable than either. Worth Gold if SHTF

Take it straight?

cheers

straight, no ice.

Edited by PappyHiker
  • Upvote 2

On 2/19/2016 at 10:44 PM, Dan Seven said:

@ThomasWell i am not so sure if my tastes are sophisticated, however i know what i like usually.

A Belgian triple is not for everyone. It is at 9% alcohol, so dropping a 750ml bottle is 

the same effect as 4 cans of Schlitz or Pabst Blue Ribbon. So, the cool thing is that the 

bottle has a champagne cork and is dark brown, so have a glass then cork it again.

The bottle is awesome for berry syrups and home-made vinegars and so i re-use them.

Just push a cork in and recess it 7mm or 1/4 inch and then top it off with wax and then a foil 

helmet because mice hate chewing foil. Waste not want not..

cheers

Sadly i can't seem to find any Belgium Triples over at lcbo.ca , so little choices here. :( 

edit: Wait! Is this a good representation of a triple? Its 9%

• Upvote 1

On 2/19/2016 at 7:49 PM, Kaye :) said:

I do not drink either - mostly water

• Upvote 3

Being a reformed forced alcoholic, I stick to beer and vodka. Wallbangers, screwdrivers and white Russians but in moderation these days.  Canadian club and crown royal are both excellent. Wish crown royal brought back the bags as they were great. Everybody kept their marbles in one. Even today they rock for harmonicas.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Tfire1163 said:

I do not drink either - mostly water

Another plus one for the non drinkers - i stick With  tea, (good) coffee, water and the occaisional standard soft drinks..

• Upvote 2

On 2/22/2016 at 11:49 PM, RYJA said:

Another plus one for the non drinkers - i stick With  tea, (good) coffee, water and the occaisional standard soft drinks..

I drink coffee first thing in the morning, every morning.

14 hours ago, Dan Seven said:

@Thomas   The beer that you mentioned i looked up, and the beer drinkers

have a lot of nice things to say about it. Have not tried it out yet though !

cheers

So much choice aye? I'll give it a shot although I fear my opinion will be akin to a barbarian commenting on fine art! ;) 

Favourite drink. Hmm Really depends on time and location... Kona, Blue Pacific, Moca Java, Espresso, Turkish, Only had Jamaican Blue Mountain once can't really afford it. Summer and working, in Canada , Kokenee , in the states Michelob , Mexico Bohemia. Once in awhile, Guinness stout. Sipping , assorted Scotch ( Glennfiddich, Glenlivet, Ballantine's ) , Jamieson, Drambuie, Yukon Jack, Fireball ...    To quote Peter Lorre from "The Black Cat" .... "Ish good." ( actually seldom have more then 1.5 oz in any given day ) Like adding red wine to condensed Mushroom soup as a sauce for pork chops or beef, and might decide to sample for quality control :P .

@Thomas  We all know what we like !  Enjoying a nice beer is a luxury.

I think it is more about tasting the difference between heavy and light...

On a hot day in the middle of filthy work (not operating power tools or heavy machinery)

i will prefer a can of something fresh and light, like Gary says, a Kokanee or something with

really good ancient water in it. Have a beer and get back in the pit and sweat it out.

On those Winter evenings with time to think, for me a heavier drink seems to be the ticket.

Exploring what we like is one of the best parts of being a human being. Never know till we try.

It can turn into a Mission of Consumption, so the balance must be struck in that there really are

more things to sample than the lifetime we are given, should we choose to go too deep into it.

Moderation as they say..

cheers

On 2/18/2016 at 4:57 PM, Thomas said:

Currently loving the Canadian Club Small Batch 12 year old;

That's a GREAT whiskey, imo, and my current "go to" as well.  Also a big fan of the Knob Creek bourbons...