cgsurvivalman

History Channels new show "Alone"

161 posts in this topic

So, after watching the first show of the History Channels new show "Alone" and seeing the first guy tap out after about 18 hours. I have applied to be on the next seasons cast. So, the show takes 10 people and throws them out into the woods and you ever last the longest wins. Unlike naked and afraid these people are allowed to wear their clothes and take 10 items that they can fit into a backpack.

So, what are the 10 items that you would take with you that would help you outlast everyone else?

Mine are: (which I am sure will change after reading other people ideas)

Sleeping bag

10'x10' rubberized tarp

knife

axe

300' of 325lb bank line (one spool)

100' gill net for fishing

fire starter

water filter

cooking pot

Bow w/ 6 arrows (I looked it up and History channel counts this as 1 item)

Very interesting, I am gonna check out this show!

Now onwards with the 10 items I would pick;

1. A way to consistently make fire (firesteel would be my choice).
  2. Tarp
  3. Steel container for cooking and neutralizing water in an emergency.
  4. A decent camp knife like an ESEE-6 or Condor Bushlore
  5. A folding saw like a Silky Saw or Bahco Laplander (I own that one and its awesome).
  6. 20ga wire for trapping
  7. 100' (or the maximum allowed) of 550 Paracord.
  8. Sleeping bag or if they don't allow it, perhaps a wool blanket.
  9. DEET based Mosquito spray. (Getting bit non stop if I am near a swamp or body of water would drive me crazy).
  10. Water Filter/bottle combo like the Sawyer system. 

Regarding fishing and hunting, I would take the lazymans approach of setting snares & fish traps. If I had more items to take I would definitely want a net or a portable fishing pole but as it stands I feel its more of a luxury.

Although now that I think about it, bow & arrow sounds like a pretty good idea. Especially if predators are an issue. 

This is tough!

So, after watching the first show of the History Channels new show "Alone" and seeing the first guy tap out after about 18 hours. I have applied to be on the next seasons cast.

You'll have to tell us if you get on the show so we can keep an eye out for your episode!

I do find that with a lot of these TV shows, the people they recruit are often not really "survival" people at all - just people who like the outdoors. Sort of strange, but I don't know.. maybe they think watching newbies makes for better TV? Either way, if you end up with people like that, my guess is you'll have a much easier time outlasting everyone else. ;)

Anyway, not going to through picking out 10 items, but I'd be curious to know if something like the Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife counts as one item! Got a firesteel, knife sharpener, & whistle all on the knife + knife sheath.

You'll have to tell us if you get on the show so we can keep an eye out for your episode!

I do find that with a lot of these TV shows, the people they recruit are often not really "survival" people at all - just people who like the outdoors. Sort of strange, but I don't know.. maybe they think watching newbies makes for better TV? Either way, if you end up with people like that, my guess is you'll have a much easier time outlasting everyone else. ;)

Anyway, not going to through picking out 10 items, but I'd be curious to know if something like the Bear Grylls Ultimate Survival Knife counts as one item! Got a firesteel, knife sharpener, & whistle all on the knife + knife sheath.

Not sure about the Bear Grylls knife. I have never used one and know nothing about it. That would be one way to get more than 10 items in with you. I am guessing too that I will not be picked for the show because like you said they are looking for people that have just enough experience not to fall down a hill and put up a tent but, not a really outdoorsman. The show would last forever....lol....if they did. But, if I do I will let everyone know.

The show would last forever....lol....if they did.

That's actually very true, haha! That being said, would rather watch someone like you than a newbie, personally. So much more you can learn that way.

That's actually very true, haha! That being said, would rather watch someone like you than a newbie, personally. So much more you can learn that way.

I would rather watch someone that knows what they are doing too, but that would not be "good tv" that is why they pick the people they do. They don't want people to learn anything, they want the drama. That sells tv.

I don't watch TV so I'm not familiar with the show, but I've heard a little about it.

Do you know what geographic region or climate you will be in?

That would have a huge effect on my choices, if it's known.

Hey, and good luck. I hope you are selected.

I also have been thinking about changing my water filter out for a pack raft. I could always boil the water to make it safe but, if I needed to cross or travel a river or any large water way it would be very valuable.

I don't watch TV so I'm not familiar with the show, but I've heard a little about it.

Do you know what geographic region or climate you will be in?

That would have a huge effect on my choices, if it's known.

Hey, and good luck. I hope you are selected.

No Sir, Not for next season. This season they are on Vancouver Island, Canada. But, very true. No need for a pack raft in the desert.

No Sir, Not for next season. This season they are on Vancouver Island, Canada. But, very true. No need for a pack raft in the desert.

Man, that's tough then.

I'm not gonna lie, I wouldn't volunteer for this.

Where and what time of year, is huge. I don't know, I'll have to think about it a bit more.

Man, that's tough then.

I'm not gonna lie, I wouldn't volunteer for this.

Where and what time of year, is huge. I don't know, I'll have to think about it a bit more.

It does make it tough. But, at my age I am too old to be scare or intimated my much of anything or anyone. When I am on my death bed I want to be able to say " remember when?" and not have to say " I wish I had".

It does make it tough. But, at my age I am too old to be scare or intimated my much of anything or anyone. When I am on my death bed I want to be able to say " remember when?" and not have to say " I wish I had".

Fine then, you talked me into it!

You are absolutely correct. I've done a ton a stupid things in my life, but I have the most regret about the things I haven't done.

Fine then, you talked me into it!

You are absolutely correct. I've done a ton a stupid things in my life, but I have the most regret about the things I haven't done.

Me too. I am not sure how I am still alive. But, I am not done yet.....lol

Whats interesting about this show is that the "winner" gets more than a pat on the back (500K). I think this will attract more seasoned survivalists and could provide a stronger reason to stick it out through the rougher times as opposed to shows like "Naked & Afraid" which is basically 2 naked people who starve for 21 days.

Really interesting show so far, I look forward to sitting down and watching it.

there are a few survival people on this show.  one that i have followed is Mitch.  he has been on youtube for some time.  looks like he may know a thing or two. here's his youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Nativesurvival 

other than that it's a different type of show.

here's my list going along the lines of the show:

1. main knife. coldsteel srk or condor crotalus
  2. fire steel
  3. tarp
  4. 2qt cooking pot
  5. axe
  6. bow arrows
  7. fill line and hooks
  8. paracord
  9. net
  10. sleeping bag

Interesting concept, I'll have to try and catch this show. I don't think I'd be very well suited for being competitive on this show since my skills are pretty rudimentary. My list would vary greatly depending on location, but in the spirit of the thread here are my 10 items assuming the location was still Vancouver and that full, geographically appropriate attire does not count against your items:

1. Knife w/ kydex sheath and integrated sharpening stone. Probably mid-size to make cleaning small game a little easier, ESEE 5 or similar.

2. Fire steel. I'm no Cody.

3. Axe. Lots of opportunities to use wood for shelter, fire, and tools, and there's no way I'd want to do all of that with a 5" knife. 

4. Tarp. Way too wet up there to leave this out. Even once a good shelter is built the uses would be extensive. 

5. Metal pot. Water purification, cooking... Must have.

6. Water storage. One gallon BPA free with a reliable seal would be ideal.

7. Bow with arrows. If it were a desert challenge this stays home, but there are food options up there that can't be caught in a snare. 

8. Gill net for fishing.

9. Paracord, as much as will fit in the pack.

10. Sleeping bag.

I'd be VERY tempted to take bug spray in place of one of these items (probably the fishing net) if there wouldn't be a reliable supply of local plants that could be used. I grew up in the Midwest and skeeters find me quite tasty. I'd also be tempted to bring an all-weather notebook and pencil for mapping, organizing, and planning. Maybe it's the Navy man in me peeking out, but having a checklist can help with motivation and staying focused. I'm not sure what I'd want to give up on the above list for that though.

Started watching it yesterday, pretty damn interesting, especially with all the different approaches the different participants are taking.

I really wonder how comfortable I would be chilling for extended periods of time in bear territory without a firearm...

Now in love with this show. Thanks for introducing it to us! :)

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days , and after many changes of mind ....

1.  knife

2. small axe

3. good cooking pot

4. fire steel

5. fish hooks and line

6. snares

7. tarp

8. cord

9. spare socks

10. good type of water bottle

A lot of people have been saying knife and small axe, but I think I would just go with something like the Kershaw 1077 Camp 10 or something around that size. To me, this is ideal as it can handle small trees just fine (I have used it as a chopper on 3-4 inch trees and limbs before) and it is not so big that it cannot be used to break down and skin game (with some practice). Location would be so key for some of the other items. If I am downstream of an urban environment or in an area where I could expect to reliably find human garbage I would leave the water bottle behind and hope to find a plastic piece of trash. I would also really want a water filter if downstream from any sort of urban setting though.

Looks like the bears are giving some of the people a hard time!

No kidding! I would be terrified!

I can't comprehend why some apologize for leaving because they were being stalked by a bear! I mean come on - that's a damn good excuse to tap out! Can't think of a better one!

Looks like the bears are giving some of the people a hard time!

Aye, although Elise I would have tapped out too, especially that guy with the black bear just chilling outside his tent. All you have is pepper spray and an edge tool so....yeah.

I wonder what would happen if someone *did* get attacked on that show in terms of medical response & liability? Very interesting.

I have been thinking about this for a couple of days , and after many changes of mind ....

1.  knife

2. small axe

3. good cooking pot

4. fire steel

5. fish hooks and line

6. snares

7. tarp

8. cord

9. spare socks

10. good type of water bottle

Very similar to my own list, I might be inclined to replace the Fish Hooks with a bow & arrows. The ability to reach a predator from the distance would really give me a boost of confidence even if in practice it may only be a placebo!

A lot of people have been saying knife and small axe, but I think I would just go with something like the Kershaw 1077 Camp 10 or something around that size. To me, this is ideal as it can handle small trees just fine (I have used it as a chopper on 3-4 inch trees and limbs before) and it is not so big that it cannot be used to break down and skin game (with some practice). Location would be so key for some of the other items. If I am downstream of an urban environment or in an area where I could expect to reliably find human garbage I would leave the water bottle behind and hope to find a plastic piece of trash. I would also really want a water filter if downstream from any sort of urban setting though.

Thats exactly what I said to Elise, I would definitely be biased towards a chopper, maybe a Condor Golok since the steel is low enough HRC to sharpen in the field with river rocks.

Thomas said

Very similar to my own list, I might be inclined to replace the Fish Hooks with a bow & arrows. The ability to reach a predator from the distance would really give me a boost of confidence even if in practice it may only be a placebo!

I did think about a bow & arrows , but kind of thought if  I were there long enough I could make one, I must admit I was think more about hunting than defence . I would always have an axe it doubles as a hammer . A lot of folks might laugh at spare socks, but I have found that even a small comfort ,like dry warm socks can lift a persons sprit when they are at a low point.

Norm.