Survival Threads
cgsurvivalman

History Channels new show "Alone"

Thomas said

Very similar to my own list, I might be inclined to replace the Fish Hooks with a bow & arrows. The ability to reach a predator from the distance would really give me a boost of confidence even if in practice it may only be a placebo!

I did think about a bow & arrows , but kind of thought if  I were there long enough I could make one, I must admit I was think more about hunting than defence . I would always have an axe it doubles as a hammer . A lot of folks might laugh at spare socks, but I have found that even a small comfort ,like dry warm socks can lift a persons sprit when they are at a low point.

Norm.

I think I saw that Sam made his own arrows in one of the gear related postings.

• Upvote 1

I think I saw that Sam made his own arrows in one of the gear related postings.

Yup he did. We mentioned it in our article here (pulled the info from his article here). But he handmade them before he went into the field and took them with him. That being said, he seems fully capable of making new arrows if he loses or breaks the arrows he brought with him. It'd be the high tensile bow string that would probably be very difficult to improvise in the wilderness.

• Upvote 1

I am really busy at the moment , but over the next few months I am going to try and find the time to make a bow and some arrows .

Norm.

Be sure to snap some shots of the final product and share them with us when you do! Really curious to see what you come up with.

Yup he did. We mentioned it in our article here (pulled the info from his article here). But he handmade them before he went into the field and took them with him. That being said, he seems fully capable of making new arrows if he loses or breaks the arrows he brought with him. It'd be the high tensile bow string that would probably be very difficult to improvise in the wilderness.

That and the fletching. Getting glue to cure in the damp they are experiencing would be nigh on impossible since they do not have any shelters that are truly waterproof and out of the elements.

• Upvote 1

That and the fletching. Getting glue to cure in the damp they are experiencing would be nigh on impossible since they do not have any shelters that are truly waterproof and out of the elements.

That's a really good point

I like this thread. I'm always rolling around in my mind what things to keep in my purse (ha ha) that would come in handy in most situations. The things I have in there now (besides my lipstick & compact) :) are :

1. two knives

2. lighter

3.can opener

4. hand sanitizer

5. hard candy

6. medication

7. small 1st aid kit

8. sewing kit

9. multitask tool (has saw, screwdriver, etc.)

10.Altoil tin (magnifying glass, fire started, small compass, & one of those credit card size multi tools)

IF I were to pick TEN things to take into the woods....after I consoled myself with not wasting my items on hair gel, eyeliner, etc.....I would pack:

1. knife 2. sleeping blanket. 3. firearm (with ammo) 4. fire starter.

5. water purifier. 6. tarp 7. paracord  8. deep med. size frying pan

9. axe 10. saw  IF I could have ELEVEN I would take salt...just because :)

• Upvote 2

I've caught all the episodes so far, as well as most if not all the youtube videos that the contestants have released about it over the last few weeks. Obviously, they are under severe non-disclosure restraints. Several have done videos about the items they took and why. Here is what I have gathered so far:

They were given their destination ahead of time, and had plenty of time to do in-depth research about it, as well as to put together their kits.

They were given a list of 40 allowed items, of which they could choose 10. They could wear whatever clothing they wanted, not included in the 10 items. They were given a large hardcase for their camera equipment as well as a tarp to cover it, bear spray, flares, and a satellite phone.

The 40-item list was very specific and detailed. Example, could only take 20 meters of paracord. 300 yards of fishing line. (One guy took a sealed spool of 400 yards. The equipment inspector measured off 100 yards and threw it away.) Pot with lid not to exceed 2 quarts. A tarp no larger than 12x12. knife and sheath one item. Ferro rod, sharpening stone each considered separate items. Ferro rod could not have a lanyard or duct tape handle. Sleeping bag and bivvy for some bizarre reason were considered separate items. You get the idea?

There was a huge list of banned items. The guys all said that they weren't allowed to discuss that list much, but they all said firearms were not allowed because of Canada's laws. Most forms of traps. Compound bows. Bankline and other cordage other than paracord. Only container allowed was the 2-quart pot, but a couple of the guys stored their allowed 25 fishing hooks in an empty altoid tin, and that passed inspection. (In last week's episode you see Mitch dump his hooks out and use the tin to make char. And he discussed that in length in his equipment video he released.) No lighters or prepared tinders or other fire-starting equipment other than the ferro rod.

They were gathered at the staging point about a week before insertion, and given training on use of cameras, etc. Equipment was inspected, and once approved was taken away from them to prevent tampering. Was returned to them once they were on their respective boats or helicoptors on way to drop-off point. They were also strip-searched just prior to debarkation.

History's website gives a mini-bio of each contestant with a list of the 10 items each of them chose. Between the 10 men, there were a total of 19 different items chosen. The 40-item list as well as the banned list has not been disclosed.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

• Upvote 2

My 10 items:

Hi-carbon steel Knife & sheath. HC because if ferro rod wears out or is lost, can be struck against a hard stone to spark a tinder bundle or char. HC will rust in salt air envionment so would need to take good care of it. Making sure the inside of the sheath has a good coating of oil and is kept dry would be a good start.

Ferro rod 1/2" x 6" with hole drilled for lanyard.

Paracord. First item of business would be to cut off about a foot, and use inner strands to make a lanyard for the ferro rod!

Full size ax with sheath and carrying strap, like Wayne had. BTW, he has his own youtube channel as well. Just look up "kullcraven bushcraft". The man knows his stuff! See my remarks about caring for the steel and sheath.

Saw

Tarp 12x12 waterproofed canvas. Remember, there is also the tarp given to me to cover the camera equipment, and apparently that was a fairly good sized tarp. Large enough that Mitch used it for his shelter.

Sleeping bag. Probably go with a good synthetic. Down would almost have to have a bivvy, and no room on list for that.

Gill net

12-lb test Fishing line and hooks in an altoid tin. Stainless steel hooks to resist corrosion in the salt water. Tin to create char at earliest opportunity

heavy duty stainless steel 2-quart pot and lid

That's my list. I'd be tempted to swap the saw for either a slingshot or 5 lbs of emergency rations. One guy took dried peas, legumes, and rice. Another guy took jerky and pemmican. I would probably take a mix of both types. That would make for quite a few hot, filling dinners if I couldn't catch some fish or trap something else.

I wouldn't bother with a sharpening stone because I can sharpen my tools with a river stone if necessary. No real need for a canteen. Pot can be used, as well as debris washed up on beach will likely produce all manner of containers like plastic bottles. I wouldn't bother with a bow and arrows because I am not enough of an archer to waste a spot on my list, and it wouldn't be much use against apex predators, in fact, barring a miraculously lucky shot through the eye into the brain or something, would be more likely to simply make it angry.

Sorry to ramble on!

• Upvote 1

I've caught all the episodes so far, as well as most if not all the youtube videos that the contestants have released about it over the last few weeks. Obviously, they are under severe non-disclosure restraints. Several have done videos about the items they took and why. Here is what I have gathered so far:

They were given their destination ahead of time, and had plenty of time to do in-depth research about it, as well as to put together their kits.

They were given a list of 40 allowed items, of which they could choose 10. They could wear whatever clothing they wanted, not included in the 10 items. They were given a large hardcase for their camera equipment as well as a tarp to cover it, bear spray, flares, and a satellite phone.

The 40-item list was very specific and detailed. Example, could only take 20 meters of paracord. 300 yards of fishing line. (One guy took a sealed spool of 400 yards. The equipment inspector measured off 100 yards and threw it away.) Pot with lid not to exceed 2 quarts. A tarp no larger than 12x12. knife and sheath one item. Ferro rod, sharpening stone each considered separate items. Ferro rod could not have a lanyard or duct tape handle. Sleeping bag and bivvy for some bizarre reason were considered separate items. You get the idea?

There was a huge list of banned items. The guys all said that they weren't allowed to discuss that list much, but they all said firearms were not allowed because of Canada's laws. Most forms of traps. Compound bows. Bankline and other cordage other than paracord. Only container allowed was the 2-quart pot, but a couple of the guys stored their allowed 25 fishing hooks in an empty altoid tin, and that passed inspection. (In last week's episode you see Mitch dump his hooks out and use the tin to make char. And he discussed that in length in his equipment video he released.) No lighters or prepared tinders or other fire-starting equipment other than the ferro rod.

They were gathered at the staging point about a week before insertion, and given training on use of cameras, etc. Equipment was inspected, and once approved was taken away from them to prevent tampering. Was returned to them once they were on their respective boats or helicoptors on way to drop-off point. They were also strip-searched just prior to debarkation.

History's website gives a mini-bio of each contestant with a list of the 10 items each of them chose. Between the 10 men, there were a total of 19 different items chosen. The 40-item list as well as the banned list has not been disclosed.

Hope this helps clear some things up.

Thanks for this Ron! Really was a helpful summary of what you learned through watching the videos that were posted and such. I wonder how much they'll disclose about the list of 40 items. Part of me feels we'll never get to see that list - though it'd be really cool to see for sure. I wonder if they'll change it at all for season 2.

That's my list. I'd be tempted to swap the saw for either a slingshot or 5 lbs of emergency rations. One guy took dried peas, legumes, and rice. Another guy took jerky and pemmican. I would probably take a mix of both types. That would make for quite a few hot, filling dinners if I couldn't catch some fish or trap something else.

I wouldn't bother with a sharpening stone because I can sharpen my tools with a river stone if necessary. No real need for a canteen. Pot can be used, as well as debris washed up on beach will likely produce all manner of containers like plastic bottles. I wouldn't bother with a bow and arrows because I am not enough of an archer to waste a spot on my list, and it wouldn't be much use against apex predators, in fact, barring a miraculously lucky shot through the eye into the brain or something, would be more likely to simply make it angry.

Sorry to ramble on!

The 5 lb rations would be mighty tempting to me. I feel they'd give you a great psychological boost since you probably wouldn't get anything substantial to eat for at least the first few days.

You're right about the sharpening stone - seems redundant where they're located. Always river stones around - that's if they'd even get to the point where their knives + axes are dull.

I think it was Mitch who mentioned there wasn't a real point to the bow and arrows because there were no rabbits or small game around, and you're sure not going to go after a bear unless you're dead certain you can take him out in one shot (as you were saying - take an arrow to a bear and you'd end up with an angry bear which would just be even worse news).

Don't hesitate to ramble. And hey - if you find out any more information or spot any new links - please drop 'em for us to watch/read!

• Upvote 2

I think it was Mitch who mentioned there wasn't a real point to the bow and arrows because there were no rabbits or small game around, and you're sure not going to go after a bear unless you're dead certain you can take him out in one shot (as you were saying - take an arrow to a bear and you'd end up with an angry bear which would just be even worse news).

I'm not so sure about that lack of small game. All of those large predators have to have SOMETHING to eat besides fish and the occasional luckless reality show contestant. But as I said I am not enough of an archer to be confident enough to hit my target consistently, and the uber-thick underbrush would make a slingshot problematical.

I WOULD, as a first order of business after initial fire and shelter and semi-steady water supply, make some spears and gigs for fish, frogs, birds, and the like. And then use small stuff to weave fish traps and lobster pots, set fishing weirs, and so forth. No need to starve when you are that close to the beach!

• Upvote 1

All of those large predators have to have SOMETHING to eat besides fish and the occasional luckless reality show contestant.

Best "Alone" joke ever. :D

Damn you seem to have thought this out quite thoroughly! Think you might apply for next season?

• Upvote 1

Damn you seem to have thought this out quite thoroughly! Think you might apply for next season?

It would be nice to do if I could, but I just don't see it happening. I'm a little too old (56), and more importantly, way too far out of shape, with medical issues that would preclude it. Plus my wife would have a cow if I left her alone that long with no contact. I was a long-haul truck driver for about a year, gone for 2-4 weeks at a time, and even with cell phone calls home several times a day, she got pretty antsy. Which is why I gave up that career.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for this Ron! Really was a helpful summary of what you learned through watching the videos that were posted and such. I wonder how much they'll disclose about the list of 40 items. Part of me feels we'll never get to see that list - though it'd be really cool to see for sure. I wonder if they'll change it at all for season 2.

The 5 lb rations would be mighty tempting to me. I feel they'd give you a great psychological boost since you probably wouldn't get anything substantial to eat for at least the first few days.

You're right about the sharpening stone - seems redundant where they're located. Always river stones around - that's if they'd even get to the point where their knives + axes are dull.

Don't hesitate to ramble. And hey - if you find out any more information or spot any new links - please drop 'em for us to watch/read!

Mitch can make his own bow and arrows. But your right you'll just piss the bear off. It'll most likely us the bow to make fire and the arrows to make skewers of you for him and his buddies. Now that's a party. Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

It would be nice to do if I could, but I just don't see it happening. I'm a little too old (56), and more importantly, way too far out of shape, with medical issues that would preclude it. Plus my wife would have a cow if I left her alone that long with no contact. I was a long-haul truck driver for about a year, gone for 2-4 weeks at a time, and even with cell phone calls home several times a day, she got pretty antsy. Which is why I gave up that career.

I feel for her. I'd get antsy, too :(

Sometimes I feel it'd be really cool to go on those shows, other times I feel that if you took your own camera into the wilderness, nothing stopping you from having your own badass survival TV show, you know? And you get more screen time that way ;)

It'll most likely us the bow to make fire and the arrows to make skewers of you for him and his buddies. Now that's a party. Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Lol!! :)

• Upvote 1

Mitch can make his own bow and arrows. But your right you'll just piss the bear off. It'll most likely us the bow to make fire and the arrows to make skewers of you for him and his buddies. Now that's a party. Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I can just picture it. The bears, wolves, and cougars sitting around the fire talking. One mentions that he is hungry and tired of fish. A wolf wonders when the next bunch of those fat two-leggeds are going to come floating in. Cougar says yeah, not only do they taste good, they're slow and kinda dumb and easy to catch. And the bear says that he really likes how they are so courteous that they carry their own nice shiny metal toothpicks right there on that chewy skin-thing around their waist.

• Upvote 2

I can just picture it. The bears, wolves, and cougars sitting around the fire talking. One mentions that he is hungry and tired of fish. A wolf wonders when the next bunch of those fat two-leggeds are going to come floating in. Cougar says yeah, not only do they taste good, they're slow and kinda dumb and easy to catch. And the bear says that he really likes how they are so courteous that they carry their own nice shiny metal toothpicks right there on that chewy skin-thing around their waist.

I sense a kids TV show in the making.

• Upvote 2

Nvm I think it was Joe's video I was thinking of. This part (in case anyone's curious in the future).

• Upvote 1

Mitch, who is pretty good with a bow, took a bow and six arrows with him.

Watching his video now! Someone just linked me. I think I thought I watched it but def haven't seen it yet. Doing so now!

• Upvote 1

Cannot believe a plastic bag did not pass inspection but an Altoids tin did. These History Channel people.. yeesh....

• Upvote 2

I bet the Altoids tin does not pass next season. Me thinks they are feeling a bit duped by char tin usage.

Even if they could bring a compound bow, it would be foolish to do so compared to a recurve. A long bow would be impractical in that terrain due to total length, and the fact that leaving them strung tends to hurt the bow. 

Even without true small game (rabbits, squirrel, raccoon and the like and I agree they are there somewhere) there would still be deer around which would be doable with a bow with a draw of at least 40 pounds. I do not know about northern Vancouver Island specifically, but in southern BC they do have a turkey season so there could be some of them on the island as well. The deer is why I would recommend a wooden recurve over a fiberglass (or other synthetic) for an expert user. If small pieces were to break, such as the tips, you could fix it with some antler. (Says the guy who is vegan)

• Upvote 2

I bet the Altoids tin does not pass next season. Me thinks they are feeling a bit duped by char tin usage.

True, but it's 110% their fault. If they had any real bushcrafters heading the show they would've pointed out immediately the Altoids tin is far more useful than a plastic bag would be (and I'd argue - at times even more useful than the fishing kit itself).

(Says the guy who is vegan)

Haha nice :)

• Upvote 2

True, but it's 110% their fault. If they had any real bushcrafters heading the show they would've pointed out immediately the Altoids tin is far more useful than a plastic bag would be (and I'd argue - at times even more useful than the fishing kit itself).

Absolutely agree. And I hope (for the shows sake) that the same person inspected the gear of each contestant. I mean if I had brought a tin to "hold" my fishing gear and was told it was an extra piece of gear while Mitch (and maybe others) were allowed to bring one I would get pissed.

Anyone got ideas or guesses (or even preferences) for where they are located next season?

• Upvote 2

Absolutely agree. And I hope (for the shows sake) that the same person inspected the gear of each contestant. I mean if I had brought a tin to "hold" my fishing gear and was told it was an extra piece of gear while Mitch (and maybe others) were allowed to bring one I would get pissed.

Anyone got ideas or guesses (or even preferences) for where they are located next season?

I hope so, too. I already feel it's unfair that the others essentially did not know they could take an Altoids tin as it wasn't listed as part of the fishing kit. I'm sure some would've changed over to that if they'd known that in advance.

And no idea where the next season might be, but I'm guessing it's another place with bears or wolves or such.

• Upvote 1