Survival Threads
cgsurvivalman

History Channels new show "Alone"

If I may be so bold..

Ron, a sense of proportion about life is a necessity..

There is the proportion that believes that the host...say the planet , is willing to host the consciousness of all that is

the divine and human..no matter what the load..And all other life is an afterthought..

It might suggest that no matter, what other life is anclliary, or tangential to us..we are  the most important..fair..

In generations, with almost no life left, (read cougars) it may be more acceptable that the chance to see that other than insects,

which are a threat to survival..may be the most important concern to us..the rest being gone. Getting there...

We must give those who have 'voice' to life ' their say before it is too late.. lest roaches become our legacy..

There is like 7.2 billon of Us..is that right?  not sure...but close...true?

7.2 billion is about right with another billion added by 2025 and an expected 9.6 billion by 2050. But let us be careful here and not let this conversation go into population issues. TEOTWAWKI is one of the few things that would really impact the growth at this point.

• Upvote 2

So, last nigt's episode. Best yet? Maybe so. Nobody tapped out at least. Four remaining guys all seem to have a pretty good grip on their abilities, and are more or less thriving physically, bouts of bowel trouble notwithstanding.

As we've discussed several times, it's going to come down to the psychology, the loneliness, the boredom. Mitch is showing the most signs of cracking, followed by Sam, Alan the most mental resourcefulness. Lucas, who knows? He's been a little weird from the beginning.

My bet, at this point, is a toss-up between Alan and Lucas for the win, with Alan maybe having a slight edge.

• Upvote 2

So, last nigt's episode. Best yet? Maybe so. Nobody tapped out at least. Four remaining guys all seem to have a pretty good grip on their abilities, and are more or less thriving physically, bouts of bowel trouble notwithstanding.

As we've discussed several times, it's going to come down to the psychology, the loneliness, the boredom. Mitch is showing the most signs of cracking, followed by Sam, Alan the most mental resourcefulness. Lucas, who knows? He's been a little weird from the beginning.

My bet, at this point, is a toss-up between Alan and Lucas for the win, with Alan maybe having a slight edge.

Thank you for no real spoilers. Still need to watch it :P. Glad no one left, though. I like it better that way !

That is a great synopsis..Ron and Elise..

I stayed up till 11 to catch it here and, and agree with all your observations..

Their individual responses to themselves show these last ones are very different from each other.

Who is the best friend to their own mind? If it were that easy we could just think well of ourselves

and live in our heads, and all would be good.

Clearly there is more to us than what we think of ourselves, and the 4 are in a perfect place to reveal that.

Maybe next time round they will have some women in the game, add a whole new mindset..

cheers

• Upvote 2

Maybe next time round they will have some women in the game, add a whole new mindset..

I agree. Women often have a completely different way of looking at things, of coming at problem-solving from a different direction. Would definitely make for an even more interesting show.

• Upvote 2

I am not sure if it is the abridged version, and it still has to be translated from the 'female' language to the male..

Which of course would  at least double the volume..

o.O

• Upvote 3

I’m new here. Looking over the net this seems to be a most stable blog about prepping in general.  I would like to submit my thoughts about the ALONE show.  It’s turned out to be a rather long post but I’ll make it shorter next time.   

I think they were given 2 tarps. A 9×9 and a 5×7 so here is my list.

Knife – Similar to Alan’s

Ax – Single blade about 4lbs.

Sleeping Bag – Waterproof canvas good to -20F

550 cord – 20 M

Fishing gear – 60lb or better -  25 hooks, 5 as large as allowed.

Sling shot – Marksmen type pocket hunter

Gill net – small weave.

Cook pot – 2 quart with dome lid and handle

Ferro rod – Best allowed.

5 lbs. of beans, with seasonings

Day 1: Eat a HUGE ! breakfast before leaving for the site.

Construct a sleeping tree blind at about 15 feet.  Find 3 trees that form a narrow triangle about 7 x 7 x 3 feet. With luck, one with climbing branches so no ladder needed. Fire below. Set a 20 foot Fish line perimeter with noise maker.

Day 2: Recon for Fresh water, site for trappers shack, cook site, small game runs, bird activity, tree roots for future lashings. Low tide beach layout and select sharpening stones. Set snares / gill net if time / tide permits.

Day’s 3 to 5: Set gill net / snares. Construct trappers shack. 3 sided about 8 x 10 x 12 with small opening at apex. Fire pit at the opening.  Sloped to rear, tarp roof over limb joist for rain protection and water catch. Build narrow sled. Check low tide beach for shell food, gill net sites, and human items washed up.

Day 6 and beyond: Continue to recon in wider circles while hunting small game/birds. Move snares. Stock fire wood.  Wind proof shack with moss or clay. Remove low brush to a 20 – 30 foot perimeter.

At Night: Dry / smoke all textiles. Sharpen tools. Build crab traps. If extra tarp is available, build water storage and wash basin. Make eating utensils and short arrows for sling shot.

Then WAIT!

Respectfully Submitted,

PJL ___________________________________________________________________________

Where does one apply for a permit to build a better world?

• Upvote 3

I would like to submit my thoughts about the ALONE show.  It’s turned out to be a rather long post but I’ll make it shorter next time. 

[...]

Day 1: Eat a HUGE ! breakfast before leaving for the site.

Construct a sleeping tree blind at about 15 feet.  Find 3 trees that form a narrow triangle about 7 x 7 x 3 feet. With luck, one with climbing branches so no ladder needed. Fire below. Set a 20 foot Fish line perimeter with noise maker.

Day 2: Recon for Fresh water, site for trappers shack, cook site, small game runs, bird activity, tree roots for future lashings. Low tide beach layout and select sharpening stones. Set snares / gill net if time / tide permits.

Day’s 3 to 5: Set gill net / snares. Construct trappers shack. 3 sided about 8 x 10 x 12 with small opening at apex. Fire pit at the opening.  Sloped to rear, tarp roof over limb joist for rain protection and water catch. Build narrow sled. Check low tide beach for shell food, gill net sites, and human items washed up.

Day 6 and beyond: Continue to recon in wider circles while hunting small game/birds. Move snares. Stock fire wood.  Wind proof shack with moss or clay. Remove low brush to a 20 – 30 foot perimeter.

At Night: Dry / smoke all textiles. Sharpen tools. Build crab traps. If extra tarp is available, build water storage and wash basin. Make eating utensils and short arrows for sling shot.

Then WAIT!

No need to make it shorter next time! We like + encourage long posts over here ;)

That sounds like a good plan - days are not too hectic that things probably won't get done, and yet not too quiet that you'll have too much time on your hands.

What are your thoughts on dealing with the wild animals?

• Upvote 1

No need to make it shorter next time! We like + encourage long posts over here ;)

That sounds like a good plan - days are not too hectic that things probably won't get done, and yet not too quiet that you'll have too much time on your hands.

What are your thoughts on dealing with the wild animals?

Hello Elise,

One of the first day items I neglected to mention was spear making.  A minimum of 3 should do. Make them 8 to 10 feet and fire harden the tips.

If the tree blind is about 15 feet up the cats and bears will have only 3 trees to approach from. And while they climb better than man they are not used to climbing and attacking. They still have to hang on while being jabbed in the nose.  A simple advance warning system of fish line and a cook pot full of rocks at ground level will announce their arrival.

If I were to stay in the trees more than few days I suppose an inverted punji stick affair could be fashioned on each tree. Then use a ladder that is lowered by rope each night or held away from the blind with a stand-off stick.

Once the trappers shack is complete they will have to work very hard and or cross a smoldering fire to get at me.  (I’ll try to post a drawing here) The only time I was chased by a black bear was when I got too close to his food source.

I can’t speak to Cougars in the wild. (Thou I once did get to ride around in the back of a pick-up with a live one. After he scented me out and got a good ear scratching he fell asleep) J  My guess is that given the pot banging and yelling I’ll be doing, a cat or bear, would leave me alone.

Advance warning systems would tell me from which direction they came.

Now that I think of it. A type of dead-fall pole outside each wall could be made. Triggered from the inside. Not meant to kill the visitor. Just a good whack on the head as discouragement.  And or very small port holes. When the critter sticks his nose in one he gets a shot of bear spray.

THANK YOU Elise for shaking up my Thinking Juice Jar!

PJL ________________________________________________________________________

Being too careful can be a mistake  ~~  But it’s not usually the worst mistake you can make.

3 wall2.gif

• Upvote 2

Hello Elise,

One of the first day items I neglected to mention was spear making.  A minimum of 3 should do. Make them 8 to 10 feet and fire harden the tips.

If the tree blind is about 15 feet up the cats and bears will have only 3 trees to approach from. And while they climb better than man they are not used to climbing and attacking. They still have to hang on while being jabbed in the nose.  A simple advance warning system of fish line and a cook pot full of rocks at ground level will announce their arrival.

If I were to stay in the trees more than few days I suppose an inverted punji stick affair could be fashioned on each tree. Then use a ladder that is lowered by rope each night or held away from the blind with a stand-off stick.

Once the trappers shack is complete they will have to work very hard and or cross a smoldering fire to get at me.  (I’ll try to post a drawing here) The only time I was chased by a black bear was when I got too close to his food source.

I can’t speak to Cougars in the wild. (Thou I once did get to ride around in the back of a pick-up with a live one. After he scented me out and got a good ear scratching he fell asleep) J  My guess is that given the pot banging and yelling I’ll be doing, a cat or bear, would leave me alone.

Advance warning systems would tell me from which direction they came.

Now that I think of it. A type of dead-fall pole outside each wall could be made. Triggered from the inside. Not meant to kill the visitor. Just a good whack on the head as discouragement.  And or very small port holes. When the critter sticks his nose in one he gets a shot of bear spray.

THANK YOU Elise for shaking up my Thinking Juice Jar!

PJL ________________________________________________________________________

Being too careful can be a mistake  ~~  But it’s not usually the worst mistake you can make.

3 wall2.gif

Frankly, I'm surprised that none of the contestants attempted a tree-stand shelter. It does make a lot of sense, and the dense forest gives a lot of possibilities for both location and available materials. Perhaps being limited to a small amount (20 meters) of cordage had something to do with that. Not sure they have access to a great deal of natural cordage material.

• Upvote 2

Good Information..Thanks for all this..

I am thinking being at ground level to tend a fire at night, as well as the guess that most big hairy animals are worried about getting too close to a fire. Might be reasons to be closer to the ground...not to mention some warmth for the body and spirit.

" Should an Old Man choose to warm his bones beside a Fire, He should build a Fireplace, when He is Young."

Old Germanic saying..

• Upvote 3

Frankly, I'm surprised that none of the contestants attempted a tree-stand shelter. It does make a lot of sense, and the dense forest gives a lot of possibilities for both location and available materials. Perhaps being limited to a small amount (20 meters) of cordage had something to do with that. Not sure they have access to a great deal of natural cordage material.

Ron,   My thought exactly. 20 meters isn’t much.  But I think it could be done with 3 pieces of 2 meters each.  Just to hold the frame in together.  PNW cordage is really limited to roots. Spruce is best.  Not great but could be used to lash support poles under the frame. And the bed “joist” in place.  Biggest problem with getting roots is no one brought a shovel.

I have built these up to 10 feet but had more line than I needed.

PJL _____________________________________________________________________

Isn’t it exciting !  ~~  Every day is the first anniversary of what happened one year ago !

tree stand.gif

• Upvote 1

Good Information..Thanks for all this..

I am thinking being at ground level to tend a fire at night, as well as the guess that most big hairy animals are worried about getting too close to a fire. Might be reasons to be closer to the ground...not to mention some warmth for the body and spirit.

" Should an Old Man choose to warm his bones beside a Fire, He should build a Fireplace, when He is Young."

Old Germanic saying..

I’m with you Dan.  I would use the tree fort only until the chateau is finished. The best I ever did was the 3 walls and tarp only roof. Took me 10 hours but I had materials at my feet. Think I only had to trim 3 or 4 logs.

OR!  I’d sleep in the trees in a hot summer when a breeze would be welcome.

There was a good deal of wineing about bears at the front of ALONE.  This was just my answer to it.  And yes I’d like some cheese.

PJL _________________________________________________________________

Some of us are too young to know who we are. ~~ Some are too old to care.

• Upvote 2

I really like these little witticisms at the end of each of your posts! 

BTW, I tried to "like" your post but was told I had already maxed out for the day. Sorry.

• Upvote 3

I like the witticisms too, Ron...

I guess I am still too young not to care. Then again, when I was younger I cared even less  weird..

• Upvote 2

Agree. I do think it's because of the cordage problem, though I wish the reason why was discussed on the footage (who knows maybe some of them talked about it but it was cut out for not being interesting enough or something?).

• Upvote 1

http://www.amazon.com/Seal-Line-Pro-Pack-115/dp/B001SFLMEY

One thing that is quite popular here in SK with Canoeists, and on the Coast with Kayakers is a Dry Bag.

Overturning on a Lake or River need not be the end of the world, when You right yourself, or get to shore, and all of your Survival essentials are safe and dry..

Furthermore, when everything is a soaking mudhole, it is interesting trying to find a nice place for a regular backpack..

Dry bags, just wipe the mud off, leave it outside the tent if you want, if it rains, fine. Also, these bags are Tough..

I had a few from MEC, they held up for years and later went to the step kids.

The quality and rep. leader is the link that I placed at top of post. It is 18.5x12.5 x 30 in tall, that is huge. Smaller out there.

My Pro Millet Expedition Backpack would fit inside it, pockets and all.

The beauty of these is that unless You are walking a LONG WAY, the suspension system is up to the task. No pockets, so that is an issue. Really have to pack the smaller stuff used more often at the top, and repack it every time you get down to the sleeping bag. And same goes for the smaller duffles. That is the inconvenience factor.

Why I wanted to put it here, in the ALONE thread is because with a folded trough tarp in a rainstorm, feeding it empty, or for carrying water, it can store a Barrel of water once a person is tucked into a site for awhile. Saw quite a few in the central american rainforests, with the birding tours for optics and first aid, and of course with white water rafters, they are an almost essential item.

A small one for a first aid kit and valuable electronics is a lot cheaper and lighter than a pelican case, and the first time a first aid kit gets marinated in filthy water, or the cell phone, gps, radio equip. for that matter, it tends not to be much use after that.

Dry food for thought

• Upvote 1

http://www.amazon.com/Seal-Line-Pro-Pack-115/dp/B001SFLMEY

One thing that is quite popular here in SK with Canoeists, and on the Coast with Kayakers is a Dry Bag.

Have not seen this particular brand of dry bags before - they look very good actually!

I often feel like looking for a good dry bag is difficult - always nice to have recommendations. ;) Will definitely want to try this out - though not sure how long it'll take us to grab one to review.

They certainly do have enormous potential and benefit in rainy and humid environments. Though I'm sure we'd all choose a good dry bag over a regular backpack for survival any day.

There is 'cool factor' to a good dry bag. The water sports enthusiasts, divers, canoeists, fishing guides of the world have it as a preferred bag, and may not use a regular back pack, if as much. Throw it on the beach, in the bottom of the slimy boat..

What I like is that it is so easy to keep clean. Wash it inside or out with soapy water, it does not stain or need dry cleaning.

Multiple zippers are not so much fun in the cold or when clay smeared mud gets in them, then again the pockets are a benefit.

Except at airport customs, with the agent looking up at you in pain each time he/she finds a new 'pocket'.

To each their own, it is pouring rain here at the moment, know which one I would choose tonight..

• Upvote 1

To paraphrase:

"Small warning bells and bear spray can both be good deterrents.  Bears can be identified by their scat. Black bear scat will have berries in it. Grizzly bear scat will contain small bells and give off an odor of bear spray."

PJL ___________________________________________________________________
                Why are we so entertained  ~~  By things which, if real, would be terrible?

• Upvote 1

Agree. I do think it's because of the cordage problem, though I wish the reason why was discussed on the footage (who knows maybe some of them talked about it but it was cut out for not being interesting enough or something?).

In episode 5 Dustin (just before he tapped) found a 1”, or better, nylon rope.  Looked to be about 3, maybe 4 feet long. This could have been converted to a mile of simple cordage. He casually mentions the “The amount of 'stuff' that comes in on this beach at high tide is unbelievable.”

Then later he finds a wooden pallet. And announces “There’s a freaking pallet! Unbelievable! There’s a wooden pallet. Just found the front porch for my shelter. JACKPOT!

While the pallet was a good find. Many uses for that flat wood. He should have done BACK FLIPS when the rope was discovered. 

Just another example of the mindset, and skill level, of the participants, the video editors and producers.

PJL ________________________________________________________________________________

If it’s a race between civilization and extinction, my heart’s with civilization. ~ But my money’s on extinction.

• Upvote 1