Survival Threads
cgsurvivalman

History Channels new show "Alone"

Where exactly did Lucas get that fry pan? He must have manu-farted it.? He better hope his fish line is well anchored. A 15 lb halibut will drag that out to sea. If he's bottom fishing, which he should be. Guess he gave up on the clams.

I'm on Lucas' Facebook page, and posted the question there about the frying pan. He replied that he spent a lot of time traveling around in that boat, most of which did not make the final edits. And that he found the frying pan at an abandoned camp site.

• Upvote 1

I'm on Lucas' Facebook page, and posted the question there about the frying pan. He replied that he spent a lot of time traveling around in that boat, most of which did not make the final edits. And that he found the frying pan at an abandoned camp site.

And if you believe this tale there is this bridge to Siberia that needs funding.

Leave a Ferro rod behind? OK.  Camp knife? Possible. Hell. On a float from Salem to Portland I randomly picked a camp site in farm country. And the next morning there was a pot pipe under my canoe. But leave an 11” fry pan behind?

PJL ___XMAS.thumb.gif.08a0227be98f523b1a2331d2c__________________________________

• Upvote 2

And if you believe this tale there is this bridge to Siberia that needs funding.

And here I thought I was a serious skeptic. I bow to your supreme skepticocity, O might one!

• Upvote 2

So cool! Thanks for this bit of information!

Leave a Ferro rod behind? OK.  Camp knife? Possible. Hell. On a float from Salem to Portland I randomly picked a camp site in farm country. And the next morning there was a pot pipe under my canoe. But leave an 11” fry pan behind?

I would definitely leave a frying pan in the middle of the woods, especially in BC if I spotted a bear and wanted to get the hell out!

It's possible. Maybe more likely that it was manu-farted, but possible that he found it this way nonetheless. I'd give him the benefit of the doubt, as I don't think they'd give only one guy something and none to the others.

• Upvote 1

OK OK OK   All....  I was rude.    He found the fry pan.. Good on him.

but if he shows up with a I phone next .......  well....   

• Upvote 2

OK OK OK   All....  I was rude.    He found the fry pan.. Good on him.

You were not rude - just highly skeptical. Which in this industry mind you is an obvious asset (as long as you don't go overboard!).

• Upvote 1

Was going to put this in the Humor thread but thought the ALONE folks could use some inspiration.pigturn.thumb.gif.cc019e92a00e9ace23a640

PJL _________________________________________________________________

Keep looking forward to a better time  ~~  Even if it’s only your next meal time.

• Upvote 3

Was going to put this in the Humor thread but thought the ALONE folks could use some inspiration.pigturn.thumb.gif.cc019e92a00e9ace23a640

PJL _________________________________________________________________

Keep looking forward to a better time  ~~  Even if it’s only your next meal time.

Absolutely love it, lol!

Lucas is the winner.

A Grand Clap to the contestants, editors, and producers.

Edited by PJL

FINELY someone is going to build a semi-permanent structure.  Great Job Lucas.  Great fire place. Everyone else is still living in lean-toot's.  After a MONTH!!!  But that limb he had to drop was pure drama.  He didn’t have to climb the tree to saw it off. One good pull and it would have snapped. Or just tie it off. In the real world without sat phones I would have not taken the chance of climbing that tree.

“Oh…..   It’s so cold.”  Even when they are in their sleeping bags?  Alan said his limbs were numb after 10 or 12 min. walking to check his net. Hey Alan here’s a hint. DON’T leave your gloves on the beach to freeze.  They all knew what the weather was going to be.

In the Montana winter of 73 the Project Manager told us not to come to work if it was -20F or colder.  So at -19F we worked.  You “GEAR-UP”!

LOL……   Hey Guys……  Ever wore pantyhose?   Next time you’re in the cold try it.  (I won’t tell) It’s a secret the ladies never told us about.  That little layer of air between your skin and your long johns makes  a difference. (I prefer the “honey-cinnamon” color.)

Sam is still smashing mice. Once he killed one he was cleaning it in gloves?  His gloves looked correct for Southern CA driving a BMW.  What ELSE has he been eating for a month? ! ? ! ?

Alan caught a great fish (a Dolly)  and duck !   Then he boiled them. This guy needs serious cooking lessons. I understand the broth would be great for breakfast but he was the one that wanted diverse eating.

While in Chignik Lagoon, AK. I would bribe the local kids to catch me Dolly Varden.  It don’t get better than that for breakfast. (well. Halibut and eggs is good too).

Mitch is just NOW setting a trout line?  He has been there a MONTH! And then he couldn’t get to it because the tide wasn’t low enough?  Less than 100 yards away? MAN UP!.  Build a good fire. Take your pants off. Go check your net. It was less than 3 feet of water.

The duck Lucas caught was a winner. But Lizzy Borden took fewer whacks than he did to cut its head off. (14) His knife could use some serious sharpening. (night time entertainment).  

Great Lute Lucas! Hours of fun there.  He’s going to build a Banya !!! (sweat lodge)  A great place to sweat, bath, clear your mind and pours)

PJL ___________________________________________________________________________________  

I’m sure others saw all this differently.  I could be wrong. The beauty of being 65 is that I rarely am.

• Upvote 3

What's your source? 

I'm 65. The magical age at witch everything you say is correct. And if it isn't you say "I'm 65 why would you trust anything I say?"

Edited by PJL
  • Upvote 2

Good by Lucas. Good by Mitch.

Lucas was doing well as long as he had his projects to work on. What happened to the sweat lodge?

It took 40+ days for Mitch to start talking about his terminally ill mother?

Sam and Alan both talking about how they don't like this place. Sam still talking about his wife and unborn child. Alan said he has nothing left to prove. Earlier episode he said wouldn't leave unless/until was at peace with himself and didn't know what that looked like yet. Has he reached that point?

Sam and Alan both vowing to never quit.

Next week should be very interesting!

Just for fun: during the scene where Lucas was chanting/singing to himself in his sleeping bag, our little 4-month-old chihuahua/terrier puppy was staring at him, cocking her head side to side, and wound up barking at him! I almost fell out of my chair laughing!

Edited by Ron Johnson
4 months, not 40 LOL!
  • Upvote 2

Man I need to start watching this show. You guys seem pretty into it. I am sure it will piss me off like most survival shows but it should be interesting!

Definitely one of the better ones out there for sure!

Its crazy how the editing changes our view of things so much, Sam mentioned eating kelp and scallops and yet not a single time was he shown doing that on TV. Elise and I assumed he was basically starving to death with those few lil mice to munch on...

Personally I feel Alan has won but can't wait for next week!

• Upvote 2

HORSE APPLES !!!

We are lead to believe:

No one has thought to put out a crab trap? And if so what was their catch? No snares other that some mouse traps?  These guys have been living on mice, a fish now and then, shell fish and sea weed?  Oh and 2 ducks.   For SEVEN WEEKS ??? Please.

Alan couldn’t get to his net or trap because the low tide was too high? He’s not that stupid. And he’s cold at 33 F?  Where is he from again? The Florida Keys?  He’s very good at the drama for folks that are hard wired into whatever LA and Madison Ave. want to feed them.

According to Sam there are no small game (other than mice) OH PLEASE! He “hasn’t seen any”  Of course he hasn’t when he tromps around like a 3 legged Barosaurus.  Oh…  And when he “bow hunts back home” he sits on a stand. OK. Good way to hunt with a bow.   

But then the video shows him sitting “on stand” up against a tree, right along a major trail like he’s gona hitchhike on a critter instead of shoot one.  He’s in full view of everything alive and what will still be alive after he’s gone from his “stand”.

Oh…..  LOL….   And from a sitting position he say’s “What’s that?” Powers up his bow and fires with less than 1 second to aim?  Now I know this is how they do it in the movies but COME ON!  At least draw a bead.

(For the non-PNW folks. There are 2 ways to hunt in our brush. Sit on a stand 20 or 30 yards OFF the game trail and downwind. Or move S L O W L Y........I once took most of a day to move less than 200 yards and was rewarded.)

HORSE APPLES !

Mitch is skinning that Otter at his camp?  Then stretches the skin (good job there) and leans it up against his shelter?  I guess all the Cougars caught a plane to Portland (see Cat Call's thread) so no worries about them anymore.  And BTW.  With temps still what they are I’m not convinced the bears are all sleeping yet.

Lucas.  What can be said?  Had a great shelter. Had a great boat. Had a great Lute.  This reinforces my belief they are getting paid by the day.  Oh ok the winner gets the $½ mil but these guys left family, friends, and INCOME for just a “chance” at the grand prize or nothing?   No.  They are staying and adding up the cash until they say “OK that’s good enough.  Had fun. Thanks.”

This show is Darwinism in the making.

PJL _________________________________________________________________________

THIS_AD.thumb.gif.1a7f1a3032dedccb9f77b2THIS_AD2.thumb.gif.2ad3cacaf6ea8c462ef59

Edited by PJL
  • Upvote 2

Just for fun: during the scene where Lucas was chanting/singing to himself in his sleeping bag, our little 4-month-old chihuahua/terrier puppy was staring at him, cocking her head side to side, and wound up barking at him! I almost fell out of my chair laughing!

LOL  too cute !!....       And wasn't it Lucas that said he was out crying and screaming in the woods?  Not a good idea.  You sound like a wounded critter of any kind and you are inviting visitors of various kinds.

• Upvote 2

That is really funny!

HORSE APPLES !!!

We are lead to believe:

No one has thought to put out a crab trap? And if so what was their catch? No snares other that some mouse traps?  These guys have been living on mice, a fish now and then, shell fish and sea weed?  Oh and 2 ducks.   For SEVEN WEEKS ??? Please.THIS_AD2.thumb.gif.2ad3cacaf6ea8c462ef59

Definitely got to do with the way they cut it. Spoiler: Sam said in the interview we sent off to him that he ate mostly crabs.

You know I get the sense that Sam's actually the winner and that they cut out all the parts where he's eaten meal after meal of crab to make him seem more incompetent than he is. Why? Because they wanted him to appear to be the wildcard and like he's "the kid" - just someone who didn't know what the hell he was doing. This obviously couldn't be farther from the truth as he's made it this long. Yet I bet so many people are saying, "Can't believe he lasted," and that's certainly because of the way the show's footage was cut.

I think there's a damn good chance that he's the winner and that they only did all this to "throw us off" and keep us guessing on the other contestants winning, but not him.

• Upvote 2

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/full-gear-list-and-prohibited-items

This is very interesting, and answers some questions. They were provided with 2 tarps, 20x20 & 10x10, both canvas. First aid kit. Emergency rations pack of water & food. Sweater, gloves, trappers hat. Some other stuff. This is all in addition to the 10 items of their own.

Includes all the possible items, plus the banned list.

(I'm surprised this was posted. I was sure it would not be released.)

• Upvote 2

Well hell..............  That makes it easy.....   You take 10 of item #7 (raisins, m&m’s and peanuts).  And trade with the Indians. (opppssss   Native Americans) for what you need.   Hell..  Lewis and Clark did it...

(To any adopted brother or sisters close to the Blackfeet....  My oldest sons soul is buried east of Browning in the Aspin grove just before the pow wow grounds.)

Thanks for the link Mr. Ron.

Edited by PJL
  • Upvote 2

***** MAJOR SPOILER ALERT ****

Well, looks like most of us were right. Alan takes the prize.

They didn't just go pick him up. First they contacted him (via sat phone, I guess?) to say they were coming to do a "routine medical exam". I wonder if this had been done at least once before? He didn't seem surprised at all, until after the exam they revealed he was the last one left and was going home.

And they brought his wife out when they picked him up. What an emotional reunion!!!

I thought it was really neat that the first thing he plans to do is to take care of his dad to allow him to quit his job. Second to try to get his son's blind eye fixed. Then, whatever's left goes to pay off their home. Too bad that taxes will take such a large chunk. I wonder if he will have to pay both Canadian & US taxes?

Am I the only one that thinks that at least part of him was reluctant to leave? Sure, the first thing he said, after the shock wore off, was "Burn this down! You have a lighter, don't you?", pointing at his shelter. But he was sure proud of it, showing it to his wife. And just his tone and comments led me to believe that at least part of him wanted to continue.

• Upvote 2

This reinforces my belief they are getting paid by the day.  ...They are staying and adding up the cash until they say “OK that’s good enough.  Had fun. Thanks.”

I read somewhere that on most reality shows, the contestants are paid a daily sum, based on whatever they made on their regular jobs, to make up for their lost income. Don't know if that applies to this show or not. Just something to think about.

• Upvote 1

Congrats is in order for Alan Kay, the winner on History Channels "Alone" survival' s Last Man Standing competition. Kudos to Sam and all the other contestants who participated in this unprecedented survival show. 

Kudos to you Elise, for your interview with the last two survivalists, Sam & Alan on your "More Than Just Surving" blog. Great job!

Can't wait for season two...History is one of my favorite channels along with Discovery & Nat Geo...

DomC

Edited by DomC
  • Upvote 2

http://www.history.com/shows/alone/articles/full-gear-list-and-prohibited-items

This is very interesting, and answers some questions. They were provided with 2 tarps, 20x20 & 10x10, both canvas. First aid kit. Emergency rations pack of water & food. Sweater, gloves, trappers hat. Some other stuff. This is all in addition to the 10 items of their own.

Includes all the possible items, plus the banned list.

(I'm surprised this was posted. I was sure it would not be released.)

Is it just me or is this page gone now? This page just forwards me over to this one now: http://www.history.ca/alone/

Damn I wish I caught this. =/

• Upvote 1

Is it just me or is this page gone now? This page just forwards me over to this one now: http://www.history.ca/alone/

Damn I wish I caught this. =/

The link still works for me. Try doing a copy & paste into your browser. 

Or maybe you being in Canada has something to do with it. The re-direct you showed makes me suspect that possibility.

If nothing else, let me know and I will try to copy/paste the text for you.

• Upvote 1