Survival Threads
cgsurvivalman

History Channels new show "Alone"

Elise    923

The link still works for me. Try doing a copy & paste into your browser. 

Or maybe you being in Canada has something to do with it. The re-direct you showed makes me suspect that possibility.

If nothing else, let me know and I will try to copy/paste the text for you.

I think it's cause I'm in Canada =/.

They do this kind of thing a lot. :( YouTube sometimes blocks Canadians from seeing specific videos (less and less over the years, though). Something to do with copyrights.

Could you please copy and paste the text for me?

Thank youu!

• Upvote 2

Thomas    903

Elise and I just watched the season finale together, we knew Alan won (obviously) but it was wonderful to see he didn't tap out and had such an awesome surprise with his wife popping by. Really heartwarming stuff.

His mental fortitude was incredible (as was Sam's, in light of his predicaments) and I am truly in awe of how well he adapted to his environment.

If push came to shove, how long do you think he would have lasted? . 

• Upvote 2

Ron Johnson    209

I think it's cause I'm in Canada =/.

They do this kind of thing a lot. :( YouTube sometimes blocks Canadians from seeing specific videos (less and less over the years, though). Something to do with copyrights.

Could you please copy and paste the text for me?

Thank youu!

Text from the link earlier:

Each Alone participant was allowed to bring several items to Vancouver Island with them. Here’s a list of all of the items the participants were given as standard survival gear, as well as the master list from which they were allowed to select ten special items to bring with them, and some items that they were explicitly barred from having during their time on Alone.

CLOTHING/APPAREL/PERSONAL EFFECTS

*This is the maximum amount of baseline gear allowed for each participant. These items did not count towards the 10 special items.

1. 1 pair high leg Hunting boots
2. 2 pairs of Outdoor Pants (can unzip into shorts)
3. 1 t-shirt
4. 2 fleece or wool shirts (a hooded fleece is approved)
5. 3 pairs wool socks
6. 1 hat (brimmed, wool or baseball)
7. 1 bandana or shemagh
8. 1 pair gloves
9. 1 light outdoor jacket
10. 2 pairs underwear
11. 1 rain jacket and rain trousers
12. 1 thermal underwear (long)
13. 1 pair of gaiters
14. 1 pair of Crocs, Teva sandals or Keen sandals
15. 1 toothbrush
16. 1 pair of prescription eye glasses
17. 1 personal photograph

TRACKING/SAFETY

*These items were provided to each participant and did not count towards the 10 special items.

1. 1 canister wild animal repellant
2. 1 air horn
3. 1 backpack
4. 1 camera pack
5. Camera equipment
6. 1 emergency flare
7. 1 satellite phone
8. 1 emergency personal flotation device
9. 1 first aid kit (military type – tourniquet, wadding, ace bandage, alcohol, plastic bag, etc)
10. 1 small mirror
11. 1 20×20 canvas tarp
12. 1 10×10 canvas tarp for camera gear
13. 1 head lamp
14. 1 gps tracking device
15. 1 emergency rations pack to include water and food

WINTER PACKS

*These items were provided to each participant and did not count towards the 10 special items.

1. 1 woolen sweater
2. 1 pair of gloves
3. 1 trapper’s hat with ear protection or toboggan

SPECIAL ITEMS

*Each participant was allowed to select up to 10 items from the following list.

Shelter

1. 12×12 ground cloth/tarp (grommets approved)
2. 8 mm climbing rope
3. 550 parachord – 20m
4. 1 hatchet
5. 1 saw
6. 1 axe

Bedding

1. 1 multi-seasonal sleeping bag that fits within provided back-pack
2. 1 bivi bag (gortex sleeping bag cover)
3. 1 sleeping Pad
4. 1 hammock

Cooking

1. 1 large (no more than 2 quart) Pot, includes lid
2. 1 steel frying pan
3. 1 flint or ferro rod set
4. 1 enamel bowl for eating from
5. 1 spoon
6. 1 disposable lighter
7. 1 canteen or water bottle
8. 1 bear canister

Hygiene

1. 1 bar soap
2. 1 8 oz tube of toothpaste
3. 1 face flannel
4. 1 40 m. roll dental floss
5. 1 small bottle bio shower soap
6. 1 shaving razor (and 1 blade)
7. 1 towel (30” x 60”)
8. 1 comb

Hunting

1. 1 300 yard roll of nylon single filament fishing line and 25 assorted hooks (No lures)
2. 1 primitive bow with 6 Arrows (must be predominately made of wood)
3. 1 small gauge gill net (1.5 m deep x 6 m long and 2 inch [50 mm] mesh)
4. 1 slingshot/Catapult
5. 1 net foraging bag
6. 3.5 lb roll of trapping wire

Food

1. 5 lbs of beef jerky (protein)
2. 5 lbs of dried pulses/legumes/lentils mix (starch and carbs)
3. 5 lbs of biltong (protein)
4. 5 lbs of hard tack military biscuits (carbs/sugars)
5. 5 lbs of chocolate (Simple/complex sugars)
6. 5 lbs of pemmican (traditional trail food made from fat and proteins)
7. 5 lbs of gorp (raisins, m&m’s and peanuts)
8. 5 lbs of flour. (starch/carbs)
9. 2 lbs of rice or sugar and 1 lb of salt

Tools

1. 1 pocket knife
2. 1 hunting knife
3. 1 leatherman multi-tool
4. 1 sharpening stone
5. 1 roll of duct tape or 1 roll of electrical tape
6. 1 small shovel
7. 1 small sewing kit
8. 1 carabineer
9. 1 LED flashlight
10. 1 pair of ice spikes

PROHIBITED ITEMS

1. Fuel or matches
2. bug spray/mosquito repellant.
3. sunscreen/Chap stick
4. sunglasses
5. beauty products
6. map (detailed topographical)
7. compass
8. unapproved technology (anything with a battery or an engine, eg. cell phones, computers, watches, etc.)
9. professional snares
10. firearms of any kind
11. ammunition
12. explosives or gunpowder
13. animal poison
14. professional fishing rods
15. fishing lures, flies, bait kits
16. fishing traps
17. food or beverage (except the options from the selection list)
18. decoys
19. animal calls
20. tree stands
21. professional bows or crossbows
22. scopes of any kind
23. tents or shelters
24. stoves, pressure cookers or other cooking appliances
25. hydration packs
26. fire pits
27. electric or propane lanterns
28. inflatable boats
29. filtration, purification devices, iodine tablets
30. coolers or food storage boxes (except optional bear canister)

• Upvote 1

Thomas    903

I have to say this show was not to bad, and I picked the winner by the 4th show...yeah me!

Next season we should have a Survival Threads betting pool. ;) Winner gets something shiny!

• Upvote 2

PJL    385

Next season we should have a  and ofSurvival Threads betting pool. ;) Winner gets something shiny!

I second the motion and offer to donate my shiniest empty beer can as a prize.

• Upvote 2

Ron Johnson    209

Next season we should have a Survival Threads betting pool. ;) Winner gets something shiny!

Count me in!

I second the motion and offer to donate my shiniest empty beer can as a prize.

I win! I win!

• Upvote 1

kenne    24

the not being able to take big game is a crock. I'd still take a projectile weapon, but it woud be the slingshot, modified to use the arrow option, or use baked clay balls. a saw, a Leatherman Signal, 5 lbs of pemmican, the gill net, the 20 yds of paracord, the 2 qt pot and lid, the 300 ft of line and 25 hooks, a hammock, preferable one made out of a 64 ft gill net, folded back on itself, or a 2 person variant, made out of paracord, a kukri. I'd keister a cigar tube full of timed release ambien, antibiotics, speed, and painkillers, too. :-) I'd modify the otherwise useless can opener blade of the multi-tool into a hook-scoop knife and i"d sharpen the screwdriver blade to a chisel edge. half of the arrows would be broadheads (to hell with their rules) and half would be fishing heads. All would have slip on rubber fletching. Feathers are nearly worthless when (not if) they get wet. In cold weather, you have to keep the rubber bands (heavy ones from the slingshotchannel.com) from the cold, by carrying them next to your body, or they will break when you stretch them. Make a simple wooden release for holding the cord that is stretched across the small hole in  your slingshot pouch.

Edited by kenne

kenne    24

they give you several batteries, for the satellite phone, the camera, the light. So you can short out a battery for a firestart. They also give you a flare. Fire it down into a hole in the ground, full of kindling and tinder, and you'll have a fire. Build a "v" of saplings, to gravity feed logs down into the fire, and it wont take many 4" logs to burn for 8 hours. You need a shelter for your fire, kept damp, with a rack in it for drying wood. Having to wake yourself every 2-3 hours, to add wood to a fire, sucks. With such a shelter, you can dry out a hearth, tinder, and spindle for friction fire, and keep them dry. You can contrive containers from clay, from large chunks of tree-trunk, from bark, from willow shoots and cordage. Line the latter 2  with fired clay or pine pitch, so that they are water tight. They can be used to keep water in, or to keep things dry.  The Leatherman Signal has a ferro rod built into it and so does my variant of the 2 qt canteen cup.

until you can get a real shelter built, use the 10 ft square tarp over a ridgeline, A frame configuration, over the hammock. Until you can build a tree platform, make a ladder and use the hammock to keep  yourself and your gear up in the air about 15 ft, where dogs, wolves, coons and bears have a lot harder time reaching! :-)  You can bait in bears and arrow them from up there. On vancouver, fat bears getting ready to hibernate are your main food source. Use it. Until you can brain tan a bear hide, fold the 10x20 ft tarp on itself, stuff it with debris, use toggle and stick arrangement around the edges to hold in debris. The Leatherman has an awl built into it. Start the splits in wooden rounds with your Kukri and baton, but then finish the splits with wooden wedges.

kenne    24

There would be either a "self defense" case with a baited in bear, or I'd just see to it that nothing of or about the bear got filmed, that's all. You'd never make it thru the winter without a stash of rendered fat and salt-jerked meat. I'd go with full intent of lasting for at least a year.  1/2 million and then endorsements, an online store, selling vids and books, this show-win can retire you, quite nicely, i a couple of years of followup. If you'll settle for living in Portugal, the Philippines, Thailand or Uruguay, just the 300k left after taxes would suffice, assuming  you know about bit about smart investing.

elde    0

I've seen nobody who had a clue. If they'd take a PARACORD gillnet and a PARACORD hammock, they could unravel them, and weave  2000 ft of 3" mesh netting out of the 7 inner strands. If you know what to do with that much netting, You'll have  100 lbs of fish per week, quite reliaably. If you take one of Chief Aj's slingbows, and the 6 arrows, with 4 of them being 4-tined fishing arrows (convert them to 32 fishhooks in half a day, using the modified Crunch mulitool) and know to set those hooks on small log rafts, baited for gulls and ducks, with a drowning rock tied about a foot from each hook, you'll have a fair amount  of food while you weave the netting. Of course, each day's net production should be hung as a gill net, increasing your food every day, until you're ready to bait a cove with fish guts and then use the net to close off the cove, where there'll be only about a foot of water at the net-crossing.  Then you'll have caught every fish in that cove. 

elde    0

An axe is a wasted Pick. for this show. On season 4, you really get 16 items, but you have to take along a weak link family member, and 6 of your items have to be a "belt knife" a sleeping bag and a ferrorod (each) .  I'd call my multitool a "belt knife,  have my partner call his Kukri Machete a "belt knife" and take, in addition, a Cold steel shovel, a 12x12 tarp, the slingbow and 6 arrows, the 5 qt skillet (Amazon) the 8 treblehooks, 1 single hook and the fishline, the paracord hammock and paracord gillnet, a big roll of duct tape, and 2 of the 2 lb rations (pemmican mixed with gorp). The hiker might be forced to start with 60 lbs, of gear, (so I have heard) but I'd just cache at least half of that, and go back for it later. They make you carry a lot of camera gear. The hiker  has to start  10 miles from his partner and has to cut thru a lot of rain forest. He has to have 3.5 of the 4 lbs of rations, with the camper partner using half a lb as bait. Mainly, the ducks and gulls will bait to shredded and baked cambium. once you have a bird's guts, you'll have bit for fish and once you have fish, you'll have more bait for the fowl. By not lugging more than half of the pack weight, you wont need to waste half of the 8-10 days that they do covering a mere 10 miles.

elde    0

simply blaze a trail  as you move towards your partner.  Once you've caught and preserved adequate fish and fowl, and have lots of water in the spare set of rain pants (taken from your camper buddy) it won't be nearly as bad a hike to return and get the cached gear. . You wont have to haul nearly as much stuff on the way back to the cache.  I"d be damned if I'd let them force me to risk a broken leg, on slimy hillsides, to haul a bunch more stuff than I wanted to haul! You'd have to immediately cut and use a pair of treking poles!

Edited by elde
felt like it

elde    0

Bet nobody thinks to use their rainpants legs as water carriers!  :-) Your legs get wet anyway, and you can carry several gallons of water that way. Yes, it's heavy, but if it prevents injury or time lost sidetracking (in that horrendous terrain/time of year) ,, it's worth it. I'd use some of my spare clothing and the duct tape to wrap up my knees and ankles as a protective measure, too.  With these measures taken, hooking up with my partner, twice as fast, is highly likely, ,and might well be 4x as fast.  Man, trying that feat without food, for 5-7 days, would inhale SHARPLY>

elde    0

Cold Steel shovel, modified to have a REAL saw edge. Modified Leatherman Crunch mulittool, with a Silky saw blade held in the visegrip. One of Chief Aj's slingbows and the 6 arrows, 4 of them being 4-tined fishing heads, easily converted into 32 fishhooks. Take a 5 qt skillet (Amazon) Take 8 treblehooks and 1 single hook (to be used as a sewing needle). Take a PARACORD gillnet and a PARACORD hammock, cause you'll unravel them, remove the outer sheathing and make 2000 sq ft of 3" mesh netting out of them. That WILL feed you!  Take a big roll of duct tape,  a canvas and wool sleeping bag (cause you can safely dry it out with hot stones)  and one ration, made of pemmican mixed with gorp.  If you know what to do and in what order to do it, the above will win the show for you, and you'll be the only guy on the show to not lose any weight.  You'll make a million $ off of having done so, in endorsements, teaching classes, selling vids and books. You'll only clear 1/4 mill from the show itself.

elde    0

thanks. It's a damned shame so many watch silly stuff like soap operas and not some show that can teach them something (mostly what NOT to do). :-) and what could clear them 1/4 million $ in a year or 2.

elde    0

for my BOB, I have MODERN gear, so that I have the most utility, with the least weight and bulk, and I have a lot more stuff, (and food) cached not far from the BOL. Cause there's no way you can carry enough to last more than a few weeks, at the most. If shtf, the livestock will all be gone in a month, run down by starving dogs and cats (fowl) and eaten by people. The game and fish and known edible plants wont last more than another month. So the "foraging" idea is just a kid's fantasy. It will be combat and horror, especially if you dont have enough stuff cached and just stay underground (for about a year) during daylight hours.

The Alone, and other show and internet stuff about 'only 10 items, only 3, only one, are baloney. The only real limitations are bulk and weight (ie, physical fitness) skill level and money. A Really fit young man might well be able to RUN, long and hard, with a 50 lb pack. Others can't even walk, with no gear at all. It's just completely impractical to not have a rifle, preferably a Marlin Papoose Takedown .22lr autorifle, 4 lbs, with 3/4 lb of scope in a see-thru mount, a 10" barrel, Aquila 60 gr subsonic ammo, a forend added to it,  a telescoping buttstock, DayGlo paint on the iron sights. along with some sort of Micro 9mm in a front pants pocket holster. That 8 lbs of guns, accessories and ammo will almost certainly make all the difference in the world, even if combat is not an issue. Most critters can be baited in within 20m and brained with a .22 from a tree platform/blind. Grass, harvested and put up into shocks during the summer, protected from the rain, up in a tree, wrapped in plastic, will bring  in elk, deer, rabbits.. Animal or fish guts, or rotted carcasses, will bait in bears, coons, possums, coyotes. Not making noise means that if you miss, the critter just sits there, and others are not scared off when you make a kill (usually).

Rick    34
9 hours ago, Daimond25 said:

They must have hair trimmer and nail cutter to make them look nice in the camera

The knife and possibly axe should be sharp enough to shave with.

elde    0

right, waste all that time trying to get such an edge on a real working tool, so that it can chip and fold over in normal applications. They probably give them a shave and a comb when they swap out the batteries and vid-recordings, which is once a week. Need to do that in order to do a proper health check actually. I"ve seen plenty of pics of the guys looking REALLY rough, tho.

elde    0

They are no longer just given the 20x20 tarp and the current gear list doesn't even show the 10x10 "camera" tarp as being made available, but I'd say that's a just a typo. Season 3 had that, for ONE guy, so season 4, with  2 people, you're forced to also take the 12x12 "optional" tarp., Since it rains so much on Vancouver, and that's likely to ruin the camera, I'd say that the 10x10 probably IS still provided, but you're not allowed to cut it up or permanently embed it into your shelter. Some cord loops and toggles, should allow you to use it for such applications, tho, whenever the medical eval crew is not around. :-)

elde    0

Brooke says that the medical checkup and battery swap is randomized, so you can't know when they are coming. It's just amazing to me that with a clear 1/4 million riding on the outcome, that people do no research at all. Unraveling a paracord hammock and paracord gillnet is an obvious tactic, which I have posted on all the YT channels about the Alone show, for several years now.  The ability to remove the outer sheathing of paracord and weave the inner strands into netting has been in all the survival manuals for at least 50 years. So why has NOBODY taken such gear and done such things? It's the obvious best choice of gear for feeding yourself, and they all starve out.

elde    0

out of 37 entrants, only about 8 have taken a bow and nobody has even shot an arrow at so much as a fish.  Dave waited to go hunting until he was so weak that he couldn't even string his bow. I saw a comment that there are ways that he could have used his feet, while sitting to string his bow. I laughed at the guy and said:"I f you can't even string it, hth can you expect to draw it, much less be able to hit anythng with it"?  :-)  You have to use the treble hooks to catch the ducks and gulls, use the netting to catch lots of fish, juice the kelp for carbs/energy, bait in bears to your tree blind with the guts of the fish and fowl, arrow at least one bear and preserve the meat. All that is quite feasible to accomplish in one month, feeding yourself as you go.  If, after just one month, everyone else is starving, you've lost no weight at all and have  100+ lbs of preserved food, Alone is going to call you the winter and end that season, right there.