Survival Threads
kiwitransient

Survive GSO 5.1 knife

Surviveknives GSO 5.1

Well, after a wait it arrived.. Got impatient and, as one came up on local auction site, I bought it.

SAME night, 2x hours later, I received email from Surviveknives.com my custom order had ben despatched.. go figure !

Ordered this 6 inch one piece blade knife with Micarta handle to fit in between my Busse Battle Mistress (10 inch blade) and the Benchmade Nimvarus  4.5 inch, as favourite Users AND carry knives with fixed blades.Essentially to replace my Cold Steel SRK which is fantastic, but can rust and not enough heft to crack a coconut.

This is to be a knife that can chop a coconut, hammer/crack something (pommel) and be ergonomic enough to use as a "camp" knife.

In short, it is the knife I want on me, if I end up on area without any help available, i.e. "castaway"

They all have Kydex sheaths which I really like. I have lots of knives, BUT they don't all carry well.. it HAS to go in/out without fuss or may be put down and lost OR stood on ! These sheaths are made in house and sell @ approx.$20. STUNNING value !  It would be silly not to order one with knife.

Unable to upload photos so just really would like to say to 2016 version of GSO 5.1 is better than previous model

1- jimping longer, 2- MORE contour to handle  and drop at heel.3- easier to get out of sheath.4- better finish on edges without laser cut marks.

Mine ordered in CPM20v rust proof steel with Firesteel groove in top of blade. Sheath has multiple carry options as it can be "scout "carried horizontally with has a concealed hole in pommel for a lanyard.

All up, jolly nice Knife AND sheath. Good value ($) and they do get very good reviews. Came hair popping sharp with a "Rite in the Rain" complementary note book.(great product)

They do have a long (getting better) wait list, so go to www.surviveknives.com and check out if interested.

Will I sell the 2015 model? No, it will serve nicely as backup, just prefer the new model.

The 5.1 Model is definitely their most popular model, followed by 4.1.

Edited by kiwitransient
  • Upvote 2

Looks like a beauty !  Ideal blade length and i have a preference for Kydex right now because it seems like something always happens to my leather ones. Examples..tropical mold eating it...staining..dog mistakes it for a chew toy etc.

Looks like a total keeper..

cheers

• Upvote 1

Hi Elise, I had been waiting for approx. 8x months from order date.

That is why I bought one 2nd hand.

I understand they now have a new ordering system where they announce every week what is going to be available. 1st in, best dressed.

Certainly are a solid no nonsense knife.

• Upvote 1

On 6/3/2016 at 8:02 AM, kiwitransient said:

Hi Elise, I had been waiting for approx. 8x months from order date.

That is why I bought one 2nd hand.

I understand they now have a new ordering system where they announce every week what is going to be available. 1st in, best dressed.

Certainly are a solid no nonsense knife.

Oh I definitely read that wrong. For some reason I thought you ordered them around the same time. 8 months, huh? Oof.

I have looked into GSO knives in the past, great steel & solid steel options but no one asked for a review so I never jumped the gun.

Insanely jealous that you have a sexy slab of INFI, Bussekin is like a mythical unicorn in the UK. :( 

Yes Thomas, the Busse really is worth raving about. The Battle Mistress is a serious chunky tool to lug around. Certainly would be very happy to have it if marooned in a Hostile environment. (geographic).

Not always practical to hump around due to size/weight which is why I'm still hunting for the perfect knife, not anticipating joy any time soon. Good fun looking though.  Expensive journey.

My C.S. Rajah certainly is practical when wanting a slasher in pocket. Just seems to work...

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, kiwitransient said:

Yes Thomas, the Busse really is worth raving about. The Battle Mistress is a serious chunky tool to lug around. Certainly would be very happy to have it if marooned in a Hostile environment. (geographic).

Not always practical to hump around due to size/weight which is why I'm still hunting for the perfect knife, not anticipating joy any time soon. Good fun looking though.  Expensive journey.

My C.S. Rajah certainly is practical when wanting a slasher in pocket. Just seems to work...

I dig my Rajah II- I just wish Bussekin steel was more available (in my neck of the woods!).

What do you mean "in your neck of the woods?"

Heck, it's jolly hard to get hold of in Country of manufacture !

On the subject, how hard is it to Import something like a Busse in the U.K.?

Do you get slugged Huge import duty like here in New Zealand?

We get charged 15% G.S.T. + other duties AND Biosecurity duty + GST on top of that. THIEVES..

Saw a bumper sticker once, " Pay your taxes, don't steal from the Govt". (they don't like competition)

Just had to pay $130 tax on my imported Wes Crawford hiking pole..Rotters :ph34r: