Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Home First Aid Kits for the Non-Medic

This should be the first thing on your First-Aid Kit to do list. And remember my disclaimer, anything I say here is just my opinion I am not a medical professional. I do however have an American Red Cross Certification in First Aid and adult CPR/AED, a American Heart Association certification in First Aid, and Adult, Child and Infant CPR/AED. I’m also a certified CERT (community emergency response team) member which includes fire safety, light search and rescue, team organization, and disaster medical operations. I also have over 200 hours of National Incident management system training. I’m also a member of my local ARES Amateur Radio Emergency Service which is a corps of trained amateur radio operator volunteers organized to assist in public service and emergency communications. So as you can see training is a big part of this so get some training. Now on to the list (which is my no means comprehensive as every persons family may require more customization).

Besides the simple stuff like assorted band-aids and of course a 30 day supply of all your families prescription medications (you have that right), the below list is a pretty good idea of what your home First-Aid kit should look like, if it doesn’t you got some shopping to do.

Miscellaneous
(2) Trauma Shears
(1) Mini-Mag Light or other light of choosing
(1) LED Head-lamp (makes things hands free)
(1) rite in rain  notepad (1) Sharpie marker
(10) Pair Gloves
(2) Safety Goggles

Trauma/Bandaging
(10) 5×9’s
(20) 4×4’s
(2) 12×30 Trauma Dressing
(4) Vasoline Gauze
(2) Rolls 3″ Tape
(2) Rolls 1″ Tape
(10) Rolls 3″ Kerlix
(5) Rolls Coban
(2) Ice Packs
(2) Hot Packs
(5) Cravats (all kinds of uses)
(2) SAM Splints
(2) 4″ Elastic Bandages
(2) 3″ Elastic Bandages
(2) 5×9 H2O Gel Burn Pads
(2) Tubes Antibiotic Ointment
(20) Betadine Swabs
(1) Bottle Sterile Water
(1) Sawyer Snake Bite Extractor Kit.

Medications
(2) Tubes Insta-Glucose (if diabetic in residence, that would be me)
(1) Tube Activated Charcoal
(1) Bottle Low Dose Aspirin
(1) Bottle Motrin
(1) Bottle Benadryl
(1) Tube Topical Benadryl
(1) Bottle Anti-emetic
(1) Bottle Anti-diarrheal
(2) Epi Pens-Adult (if applicable)

Airway
(1) CPR Mask (adult and child)

If you have any question drop me a line, I’ll be happy to answer.

• Upvote 7

Thats a pretty great (and exhaustive!) list, I would add liquid bandages, tourniquet, Claritin or other modern (non-drowsy) antihistamine and quik-clot as its an excellent emergency coagulant that I depend on heavily and in an emergency involving bleeding its probably the first thing I would reach for beyond irrigation & disinfectant. 

• Upvote 2

This is just my essentials list and what I carry in my car bag along with a full IFAK but more on the IFAK in another post, in my bug in location I have a full clinic set up. Attached is a picture of some of the items I have in my clinic and my organizing system. I'm not a fan of the quik-clot, I have some but I've never used it, never seen a hemorrhage so bad I  needed it.

Clinic.thumb.png.81994940236d75ec433fa95

Edited by dthomasdigital
  • Upvote 2

Thats a pretty great (and exhaustive!) list, I would add liquid bandages, tourniquet, Claritin or other modern (non-drowsy) antihistamine and quik-clot as its an excellent emergency coagulant that I depend on heavily and in an emergency involving bleeding its probably the first thing I would reach for beyond irrigation & disinfectant. 

I got to thinking about your additions to the list, of course you have all that stopping bleeding stuff, I forgot you have all those knife reviews. :)  

• Upvote 1

I got to thinking about your additions to the list, of course you have all that stopping bleeding stuff, I forgot you have all those knife reviews. :)  

Haha yeah he cuts himself with his knives at least twice a week on average. :P

Dangerous work being a knife reviewer!

• Upvote 4

Awesome List and photo shows a dispensary!

I always carry stronger aspirin (on your list) in my wallet for the heart clutching pain shooting up the left arm scenario. they say it is the #1 thing to do for that..

Also I always seem to have use for a fine pair of jewellers tweezers for splinters and cactus.

No bottle of vodka?     ; )   

Edited by Dan Seven
  • Upvote 3

Here I always aspirin in my wallet for the heart clutching pain shooting up the left arm scenario.

Also I always seem to have use for a fine pair of jewellers tweezers for splinters and cactus.

Lol that bottle of vodka is good for so much - first aid or not.

• Upvote 1

Sorry...I keep thinkin it is for 'medicinal purposes', but my lawyer insists it is an 'abusive substance'

I am finding it difficult to respect the law at this moment   :)

• Upvote 3

Sorry...I keep thinkin it is for 'medicinal purposes', but my lawyer insists it is an 'abusive substance'

I am finding it difficult to respect the law at this moment   :)

Damn it. In that case - may have to switch to Brandy for that "sore throat." ;)

This is just my essentials list and what I carry in my car bag along with a full IFAK but more on the IFAK in another post, in my bug in location I have a full clinic set up. Attached is a picture of some of the items I have in my clinic and my organizing system. I'm not a fan of the quik-clot, I have some but I've never used it, never seen a hemorrhage so bad I  needed it.

Clinic.thumb.png.81994940236d75ec433fa95

Thats an awesome organization system! Quikclot is amazing- you will be happy to have it if you ever need it. I was doubtful originally but after having a 2 inch gash (.3-5" deep) on my foot I was really happy to have some on hand. Its insane how quickly it works.

• Upvote 1

I always carry stronger aspirin (on your list) in my wallet for the heart clutching pain shooting up the left arm scenario. they say it is the #1 thing to do for that..

Aspirin is a damn good idea- need to think about carrying that for the precise reason you mentioned! I drink whiskey to warm myself up- purely medicinal, honest!

• Upvote 1

Well Tomas:

This thread started with a really impressive well stocked 'Medicine Cabinet'

Perhaps wandering up to the bar shelf in the other corner is enough for most days.

Folks do get hurt and it is a thoughtful mercy to have such an amazing prep as in the photo.

I am envious, to have all those choices for all the different kinda hurts that will happen, in most any event.

Like everybody, I like myself fine and hate getting smashed, yet it happens with predictable occasion.

To have such a dispensary as dthomasdigital has, shows a lot of regard for others in their moment of painful come-uppance.

I refuse to believe that folks get hurt because they hate themselves. It just happens, and to be prepared is more than a kindness to the fact that when things get out of control, we have make safes ready when we are on the 'edge' and get nicked.

In fact, living on the edge seems to be a diagnostic feature of survivalists and dthomasdigital shows such a generous response.

If I got hurt, I would go over to his house first, as my responses in quantity and quality are so much more subdued..

Kudos to both the Thomass' here !

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dan,

I also happen to have the house in the middle of the block tons of young families in my neighborhood and that means kids on bikes, scooters, skate boards you name it. I can't tell you the number of skint up knees I've patched up over the years. It's nice to have some extra stuff when you need it.

• Upvote 1

You are Healer of hurts my friend:

Plenty of that to go around yes?

I am Canadian and usually terminate that sentence with "Eh ?" instead of yes..

The extras are perhaps necessity at times..

The eventuality of pain to me is the realistic eventuation of life.

More You live, the more you live it up and of course down..

Living it down is awesome and involves a few scrapes..

I am too old to hold back on what I sense as there is not so much left.

If I may..i am getting that as time goes by, you consciously and sensibly preserve what is left..

Forgive me if I am out of line..

You get that enough for all the kids in the neighborhood ..and Thank You..

dan7

• Upvote 1

This week I added a battery powered lighting system to the dispensary, and you can't see it in the picture but down below the trays I've added drawer system and that will be for medications and some larger items like surgical and test equipment. Better pictures to follow. 

• Upvote 2

Do any of you guys have superglue in your packs? It was invented to treat battle wounds so I have a 6 very small tubes in mine for extreme emergencies.

• Upvote 1

This week I added a battery powered lighting system to the dispensary, and you can't see it in the picture but down below the trays I've added drawer system and that will be for medications and some larger items like surgical and test equipment. Better pictures to follow. 

That's a great idea. Sure to come in very handy.

Do any of you guys have superglue in your packs? It was invented to treat battle wounds so I have a 6 very small tubes in mine for extreme emergencies.

yes yes yes. :)

We use super glue a lot in this household. Okay well Thomas does - for all those cuts he gets from his knives. ;)

• Upvote 1

Weekend project coming up, I'm adding side rails to my (and I must thank Dan Seven for the description) Medical Dispensary. Now that I have antibiotics coming in I want to place all my medications on the sides and keep wound care in the middle. I'm adding more shelves on the bottom to house diagnostic equipment such as my otoscope, stethoscope (spend some money on your stethoscope you will be glad you did, I like the Littmann brand), and other medical items. Also adding more lights so you can see when the power is out. Pictures coming soon.

Edited by dthomasdigital
  • Upvote 1

I am going to start calling You dr.thomas instead of dthomas..   ;)

Lol, Dan I love that! So appropriate considering his expertise in first aid :)

• Upvote 1

Weekend project coming up, I'm adding side rails to my (and I must thank Dan Seven for the description) Medical Dispensary. Now that I have antibiotics coming in I want to place all my medications on the sides and keep wound care in the middle. I'm adding more shelves on the bottom to house diagnostic equipment such as my otoscope, stethoscope (spend some money on your stethoscope you will be glad you did, I like the Littmann brand), and other medical items. Also adding more lights so you can see when the power is out. Pictures coming soon.

Well now I feel woefully inadequate. Gotta start working on my first aid chops!

• Upvote 1