Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Home First Aid Kits for the Non-Medic

Added the new lights and some new drawers and trays, I'm also including a picture of my mobile bag so you can get an idea of what will go with us should we have to leave our main location. Hope this info is helpful. I'm far from over with this project and I need to add some very important things but more on that later.IMG_0205.thumb.JPG.dd5b57e7a246ddf884574IMG_0204.thumb.JPG.777870c83318cb97a76e8IMG_0200.thumb.JPG.73d31bf9d98083a90864e

• Upvote 3

Wow - it looks great! Very well organized and easy to spot things when you're in a hurry!

Thanks, and that was my main goal in certain situations I might need someone to grab something for me, for example treating multiple traumas, my hope is it will speed things along.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, and that was my main goal in certain situations I might need someone to grab something for me, for example treating multiple traumas, my hope is it will speed things along.

Definitely will. You have everything neatly labelled - no one's going to be stressed out about having to find a needle in a haystack here.

you are welcome dr.Thomas...power goes out..

Gotta little Omron cuff...shows BP and and pulse...slap it on AA batteries...

Things get f'ed up..beyond our control..we seek to reel it in.. good fishing...

cheers

• Upvote 1

Haha yeah he cuts himself with his knives at least twice a week on average. :P

Dangerous work being a knife reviewer!

on the other hand, you're never short of something to slice some nice salami with. Prepping is hungry work!:)

• Upvote 2

on the other hand, you're never short of something to slice some nice salami with. Prepping is hungry work!:)

It's very true :)

Thanks for the reminder that I need to figure out a better organization method for our medical supplies. The bag used for our house FAK is too small and so overloaded it's hard to find anything quickly, and our other med supplies are in boxes or plastic totes where the focus in packing them usually had more to do with what would fit best, and where, without much regard given to the item's medical use or treatment category. Think the biggest dilemma for me is whether to try organizing them for a specific injury or condition (which would have the same items scattered in different 'kits'), or keeping all of one type of item stored together. I can see advantages and disadvantages in both methods. I'm keeping all of one type together now because it's easier to pack, store, inventory, and rotate them that way, but it means possibly having to open and dig through different boxes to get everything needed for a particular ailment.

• Upvote 1

Added the new lights and some new drawers and trays, I'm also including a picture of my mobile bag so you can get an idea of what will go with us should we have to leave our main location. Hope this info is helpful. I'm far from over with this project and I need to add some very important things but more on that later.IMG_0205.thumb.JPG.dd5b57e7a246ddf884574IMG_0204.thumb.JPG.777870c83318cb97a76e8IMG_0200.thumb.JPG.73d31bf9d98083a90864e

What a mess my friend, send it all my way and i will fix it up for you! ;) 

• Upvote 2

On 12/14/2015 at 11:44 AM, Dan Seven said:

MY First Aid Kit has gone through an essential reorganization.

cheers

Hahaha, very nice, Dan :)

On 7/22/2015 at 1:28 AM, DM Wolf said:

Do any of you guys have superglue in your packs? It was invented to treat battle wounds so I have a 6 very small tubes in mine for extreme emergencies.

Cut myself on a sheet of corrugated iron today, I used superglue on a cut for the first time. Thanks Thomas I can verify it works, but the stuff I got was very liquid so went everywhere! Going to keep a few tubes of it in the Land cruiser and probably one in the emergency tobacco tin I'm putting together. Waaaay easier to use than doing a John Rambo with a needle and thread.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dthomasdigital said:

@Smithy66 I have super glue in all the kits, I even have medical grade in my main kit.

Likewise!

6 hours ago, dthomasdigital said:

New medical dispensary pictures coming soon, I've completely redesigned all my shelves and storage units.

Look forward to checking it out. @Elise and I are currently re-working our first aid preps and its a bit of a mess. Currently all lumped together in a wide drawer. 

Whilst I highly rate your First Aid set-up (thumbs up!) my own input is not to collect / stock anything I can't man carry - and as for some First Aid bags that are out there, (looking at one of the bags photographed) I've had better success from my local hardware shop with one of the high end tool bags - strong as hell, and already compartmentalised ready to go. Though as the title of thread states 'non-medic', I've learnt the hard way that First Aid (after doing, basic, advanced, wilderness / remote area courses) is really an 'improv' treatment. My own kit, on top of the First Aid manuals has a couple of anatomy books - the better I can learn about the body, the better I can create a management plan.

(again, just my .02 worth :)  )

• Upvote 2

No super glue in my FAKs, but have some stored in a box labeled "B-35" (Basement, #35) with red lettering to denote it contains medical supplies.  Wound closure falls outside of "first-aid" in my way of thinking, super glue is one method to approximate wound edges to promote healing - not to control hemorrhaging - so it's part of the longer term care not first-aid.  B-35 also contains sutures, laceration trays, clean drapes, surgical instruments, antiseptics, and the equipment/supplies for reconstituting powered lidocaine for injection (lido, sterile water, scale, funnel, thermometer, and syringes/needles).

Different strokes I suppose, and I admit I need to re-think my Medical BOB that is our 'grab and go' bag for the apocalypse, but I generally keep my first-aid kits stocked to the ABCs of first-aid care (with some boo-boo/comfort items thrown in) and store the rest as medical supplies.  There's overlap of course, roller gauze and dressings in the kits as well as a much deeper supply in box "A-4" (Attic, #4) for example. 

Edited by Walter
clarity
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Walter said:

No super glue in my FAKs, but have some stored in a box labeled "B-35" (Basement, #35) with red lettering to denote it contains medical supplies.  Wound closure falls outside of "first-aid" in my way of thinking, super glue is one method to approximate wound edges to promote healing - not to control hemorrhaging - so it's part of the longer term care not first-aid.  B-35 also contains sutures, laceration trays, clean drapes, surgical instruments, antiseptics, and the equipment/supplies for reconstituting powered lidocaine for injection (lido, sterile water, scale, funnel, thermometer, and syringes/needles).

Different strokes I suppose, and I admit I need to re-think my Medical BOB that is our 'grab and go' bag for the apocalypse, but I generally keep my first-aid kits stocked to the ABCs of first-aid care (with some boo-boo/comfort items thrown in) and store the rest as medical supplies.  There's overlap of course, roller gauze and dressings in the kits as well as a much deeper supply in box "A-4" (Attic, #4) for example. 

Have super glue , and I'd probably try it in a pinch. From my most recent owie ... I had all the needed tape, splints etc. in the house, knew where they were, and still just grabbed the first thing at hand which was paper towel and electric tape. The doc said I had probably set it myself but the torn ligaments didn't keep it in place, and other then it being gauze and medical tape the final result looked pretty well like what I'd done ( taped to the adjacent finger ). Really other then the Xray and local ( oh and two hands to work with ) not a huge difference.  If I'd broken the skin then I'd have gone for one of the kits, disinfectants, sterile gauze etc. 

I may rethink a bit to make my supplies a bit more friendly for single hand use, as it was what I used was right by the door and the knife clipped to my pocket to cut the tape ( the usual stretch and snap was right out of the question. Actually used the knife cutting the perforated med tape later as the tearing force was still more then I wanted to apply. )

As promised pictures of the new medical setup. I've just started and still need to organize a bit more and label. I've got tons more to stock, plus add lighting and emergency power hookups, but we are getting there. My entire storage area is done with New Age Products cabinet pro series 18 gauge steel and all wielded construction, I figure the house will go before these things will. Also I don't plan to use the shop vac for any medical procedures, at least I hope not. :) More to come as I get everything nice and neat.

IMG_0113.JPG

IMG_0114.JPG

IMG_0110.JPG

IMG_0112.JPG

IMG_0111.JPG

• Upvote 2

On 2017-04-13 at 4:01 PM, Gary_Gough said:

Have super glue , and I'd probably try it in a pinch.

I saw what you did there...

There are some really nice set-ups here, well done!  All I was going to add was load in a bottle of good pain killers, just in case.

• Upvote 1