Survival Threads
bRIBEGuy

Spyderco Dodo

Well, this one is a bit of a blast from the past, but I figured it was worth tossing up anyways.

I managed to pick up a (NOS) Spyderco Dodo a couple months ago, and almost instantly fell in love with it's sheer wackiness.  After owning it a mere 30 minutes, I dropped it onto a glass counter, and chipped the tip.  GAH!!!  I contacted Spyderco, and sent it in to be fixed.  $18 in shipping, $5usd for the fix, and something like 7 weeks later, and I have my ugly orange buddy back.  I've been using and carrying it for a week or so now, and have some initial thoughts:

- Ugly as sin.  Which I love, but pretty much everyone that see's it comments on it's form.

- Big handle + little blade = WIN.  Great combo for control in hand.

- Wacky blade shape works well for EDC stuff.  It just does.

- Not deep carry.  Normally I have a strong preference for deep carry clips, but the regular (and great) Spyderco wire clip plus the extended "tail" section makes the knife really easy to grab onto and pull out, ever with gloves on.

- BB Lock.  Looks cool, and seems very secure.  A bit of a PITA to release when compared to a framelock/linerlock/etc.

- Fit & finish is typical Spyderco, that is to say, somewhere between very good and great.

Definitely a wacky knife, and if you can find a good deal (and stand to look at it...lol) it's something I'd certainly recommend.

P2020005-mod.jpg

• Upvote 1

Do you know, I actually can't see how people think it's ugly? I find it to be so stinkin' cool that I guess it blinds me and makes me think it looks fabulous haha.

Can't believe your luck with chipping the tip! But glad Spyderco fixed it. So worth the $23 and 7 weeks it took to get the fix (of course).

This is one of those knives that we keep as a collection piece. It's just so quirky I can't even handle how enamored I am with it. Belongs to Thomas but if he got it and didn't like it, I'd have stolen it from him for sure. ;)

Ugly is the wrong word.  It is a unique knife.  Why buy 10 knives that are all the same?  I like this one a lot and REALLY want to get one because it looks different then any other knife I have.  i think one reason I am such a Spyderco fan is because a lot of their knives are like this one.  Unique looking and interesting.  

Congrats on a great find bribe guy!  I'm jealous!

• Upvote 1

I dig my Dodo! ;) Nice find Todd. I find the quirky Spydies tend to hold value best. To this day I regret selling my Spyderco Barong, now the price on the secondary market is insane and out of my budget. :( 

• Upvote 1