Survival Threads
1stmeridian

ViperSharp precision knife sharpener

Looks good, how does it compare to the Wicked Edge and/or the Lanksy system?

(Thanks for being honest about your vested interest in "Viper Sharp" in your initial posts, maybe add your company URL in your signature so that its apparent for future references & people can find you & your product easily).

The ViperSharp was created because of problems with other systems such as one of those you mentioned. There are several reasons ViperSharp works better than other systems. Some of them are listed here. There is also a video as well as a page on www.ViperSharp.com that details this.

• No slop in the guide rod movement
  • No limit to angles with this fully adjustable system
  • Quick and easy change of stones for different grits
  • No damage to the blade from the clamp or stones

This is another video that helps show the issues I set out to address with this system. 

Cool !!   

Couple questions...Does the spherical bearing have a teflon or metal bushing, and if so, how is it lubed and is it replaceable?

Also, for the insert raised and lowered to change the sharpening angle, does it have graduated marking in degrees, or is an external protractor required to measure the angle ?

Thanks, 

cheers

Edited by Dan Seven

Thanks for the questions. I updated the FAQ on the kickstarter page with these as well. 

Does the spherical bearing have a teflon or metal bushing?

The bearing is all metal to allow consistent smooth operation. It is self lubing and should never wear out.

Are there angle markings on the Post?

There will be a sticker on the post for a general guide to angles but keep in mind that with any system like this the angle will change based on your blade and blade placement. For exact angles the ViperSharp will accommodate a magnetic digital angle finder.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the reply..it is clear that a little protractor would be easy to use as

i can visualize differing blades altering the geometry..

Looks like a very well made quality sharpener. Good work !

cheers!

Just wanted to update this thread. Vipersharp has gone through some significant upgrades including angle markings, better base and a new stone attachment. Diamond abrasives are coming soon and a heavier base will soon be available. Here is a more recent video showing quite a bit of detail.

On 18/10/2017 at 5:08 PM, 1stmeridian said:

Just wanted to update this thread. Vipersharp has gone through some significant upgrades including angle markings, better base and a new stone attachment. Diamond abrasives are coming soon and a heavier base will soon be available. Here is a more recent video showing quite a bit of detail.

As weird as it sounds, I really like how compact it is. I have a gritomatic and its a monster. As well as my Worksharp WS-2000, its a chore to set up and get going.