Survival Threads
BimbleThunk

Has anyone here tried sugru yet?

Haven't run across it yet. Looks like Silicone is one major part. One problem I've run into with silicone is that it out gasses acetic acid as it cures. Not a major issue most of the time, but it does dissolve copper ( found that out using a blob to attach and waterproof a three wire temperature sensor... the leads corroded off in two weeks ). If the stuff smells like vinegar then watch out for that. Otherwise should work well on large holes and irregular surfaces. Think I'd use butyl rubber for low voltage electrical work ( there is a very nice self bonding rubber tape too, waterproof covering for RF connectors ). Glueing stuff together.. if you have a well vented space and can let it cure for a day ( very toxic ) ... the assorted "Goop"s make a flexible bond to nearly anything. Wanted to attach some cable guide ( Panduit ) without drilling holes on the front door of a control cabinet. Glued 3, 70 cm runs down, waited a day, and as a test lifted a 30 Kg panel by one of those runs. Looked at the panel 16 years later and nothing has come loose.

• Upvote 3

I've used it, my phone, jeep and laptop have been sugrued with lego so that if I'm charging the phone it snaps on to the back of the laptop screen. It's been used as well to repair a couple of broken saucepan lid knobs too.

It's expensive though, it won't stick to all plastics. They advise you to experiment with a tiny ball left over from a project to see will it stick to what you'd like to fix next

• Upvote 1

Hi, there is a site that gives ideas on how to make stuff. I "think" it is "instructables"

Yep, just checked. Go to site and do a search for recipes and ideas.

The recipe is silicone sealant and either corn flower or talc mixed together.

Keeping it in fridge (well sealed) makes it last longer.

Gary, thanks for the warning about wiring.

Gary is our "Go to Guy" here for Techie info.:D

Edited by kiwitransient
  • Upvote 2

Pure Silicone is amazing. It is what they use to glue aquariums together, so plenty strong and can also be used to glue components to circuit boards as it does not make the acetate that eats the copper traces. Pretty good stuff..

cheers

silicone.jpg

• Upvote 1

Ah, Sugru- I absolutely love the stuff. Performance is adequate (what you would expect of a glorified silicon moldable adhesive) but convenience is out of this world. I always have a few of these teensy lil pouches in my EDC bag- so useful for fixing lil' things as you trudge through life.

Curing process is very forgiving and I find myself always finding things to use it for. Sadly, the price does not lend itself to being used with wild abandon. :(