Survival Threads
Thomas

Do you have a survival group or community?

I have been reading a lot recently about how preppers organize themselves in terms of community outreach and maintaining links with neighbours etc. @Elise and I are generally pretty secluded people and beyond friends and *some* family, very few people know of our lifestyle (let alone understand it). 

We don't think we need a survival group but then again perhaps there is an advantage we are missing! Do any of you have a close knit group of preppers and/or a community? How upfront are you about your preps with your neighbours?

not too upfront, but all the neighbors talk, and we all work together when a natural disaster hits. help each other rebuild, keep order in the neighborhood, etc

not exactly close knit, but close enough to work

• Upvote 1

Not sure I'd ever be able to really reach out to neighbors to form a group of sorts, but like zackmars said, some conversations here and there give me some confidence that I could count on some folks to be helpful. However this confidence would be more for a localized or shorter term event and not a prolonged disruption.

• Upvote 2

On 7/26/2016 at 2:14 PM, zackmars said:

not too upfront, but all the neighbors talk, and we all work together when a natural disaster hits. help each other rebuild, keep order in the neighborhood, etc

not exactly close knit, but close enough to work

I guess in your neck of the woods, prepping wouldn't raise too many eyebrows aye?

On 7/26/2016 at 7:40 PM, Dan Seven said:

Not Really...that is why this one is so important..

I hear you!

On 7/28/2016 at 2:18 AM, Rspreps said:

Not sure I'd ever be able to really reach out to neighbors to form a group of sorts, but like zackmars said, some conversations here and there give me some confidence that I could count on some folks to be helpful. However this confidence would be more for a localized or shorter term event and not a prolonged disruption.

Aye, during a prolongued disaster, one does wonder how people will hold up psychologically- will selfishness win out and bring out the worst in people? I imagine thats pretty likely (sadly).

• Upvote 1

These communitys are so very hard to  put one together  even harder to keep one to gather  i have experienced a couple failed communitys 

qq.jpg

Edited by Prepper Rob
  • Upvote 3

I'm a bit late to the thread, but I have been part of several groups. I've found that more people than one would expect join a group to be taken care of rather than contribute. I have decided to keep mostly to myself and close friends/family.

Groups of independently minded people seem to max out around 12 and then break up from infighting. There are larger successful and very long lived examples ( ie the Peshmerga ) but they start with a ridged code of conduct / honour so the underlaying code of interaction is fixed.  They predate Islam and generally seem to be where Empires attack and then die.  One idea that could be borrowed from them is in times of need a leader is appointed by consensus with the authority to make fast decisions, on the understanding that their position ends with the passing of the need.

A bit like the firing officer on a rocket range, one person who can call the launch off for any reason and not be so much as questioned about it. The position is a concession to the fact that some things need to be decided rapidly and without outside pressure.

Some major examples of why;

NASA drifted into a committee calling the shots with lots of pressure to agree to launch, thus Challenger, even though the booster engineers had set lower temperature limits well above freezing and were pointing it out. ( Ps. the fix was already on the drawing boards but was tied up in committee )

Or the apparent excessive risk taken by a pilot with a plane full of high government officials in Poland, everybody died so can't say for sure but the cabin voice recorder had more then one extra voice urging him to land in thick fog.  More then one person on the plane would have been his ultimate boss on the ground, so it's quite possible that he didn't feel comfortable pulling rank in the air ( he's flying, his decisions have to be final and based on his best judgment ).

In a group where everyone has a common goal ( raise a barn, build a stage etc. ) anarchy can be the most effective organizing principle. Everyone looking for things that need to be done that they can do. If you feel the word is too loaded / dangerous feel free to call it a free market. Even the ones who lack the experience to see what needs to be done still contribute as long as they are willing to ask others or assign themselves as "go fors". Where they are a drag is if they expect others to do all their thinking, and just sit on their hands waiting to be told. ( "Fine options" people as a group then to be a total drain, poor work and often tying up one competent person just to get them to do that much )

Top down organization tends to waste talent and resources. Everyone being expected to equally do everything means the people who can't drive a nail are putting framing together and the ones that can't cook are burning meals. When people are self assigning they gravitate to those tasks they are good at. In the cases where someone lacks the ability to tell they are incompetent, usually they can be gently steered toward a different task ( have steered a drunk friend off to a nap in an extreme case, he was 10 meters up helping build scaffolding just before that ).

One other slightly outside remark. I accidentally stepped on a CB prep group many years ago. I was manning a CB and phone ( while on crutches ) and passing along traffic during a strike ( this predated cell phones ). Someone came on and called "Emergency, emergency, emergency" so I came back with my call sign ( yes even CB in Canada (GRS) had them at one time ) and asked what they needed as I was by a phone, and could call on several bored people with med. training, trucks, you name it. They got ticked off because they were trying to practice their "emergency group" and actually didn't have any real problems ( and didn't know that you don't call that on the air unless you really do have one. Well CB was a bit of a zoo at best ). I'd be willing to bet most hadn't even read this. http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/smt-gst.nsf/eng/sf01016.html

Also known as the laws applying to the service.

• Upvote 1

In a past life i ran a family business that employed 42 full time staff.

A great deal of focus was spent on exhaustive communication with a steering group that was designed to 'exploit' the strengths of staff and place them in the most advantageous positions within the firm.

It is a heck of a deal when it is the leadership's work to advantage and reward the talents of the individuals. Some folks have a lot of talents, and can be effective in many positions. Zeroing in on the one that is most 'endemic' was so powerful that it was not unheard of to build a small enterprise around them that they could be supported and take the lead themselves, as that passion and drive has to go somewhere, so we all may as well benefit. What i am saying here is that in an any group work dynamic, and survival means work, there must be executive control to place the burden across shoulders in the most effective yet natural way possible. This takes a lot of the perceived toil and struggle out of the mix.

Ideally, an individual should work without feeling like they are working. 

If that is digging potatoes, great. If it is making tough choices for the good of the crew, that is great too. Sometimes there was no longer a place for someone in the crew, and subtracting them fell on me.

The larger the group, the greater the skill at managing and understanding the needs of the group.

Army Generals have a hell of a job. The grunts seldom meet them, and often they are only spoken of in respectful terms only after the war is won. In the meantime they are F'n brass that appear to be wholly unconcerned with the plight of the front line personnel. Of course, nothing could be further from the truth. There is nearly an irrepressible urge to throw the captain or navigator overboard after months of swapping the poop deck. It is only after weathering the storms and battles that the crew develops any faith in them.

Human nature..

In war it is the most ingenious and diabolically likeable and effective that make it to the top as a rule. Think about it. Who can thrive in a world of blood, pain, hate and suffering and see past it to end it with "any kind of favorable result?". That this is even possible to fall on someone's head and maintain some sense and sanity is the miracle of the warrior alone.

In the words of one of the most unapologetic Secretaries of Defence ever, Donald Rumsfeld..

"You don't go to War with the Army that You want, but with the Army that You have"

As do we all, even if only an Army of one..

Maintaining discipline and effective, productive routine that we do not turn on ourselves is as important to an army of one as to a Regiment.

imho

cheers

• Upvote 1

On September 29, 2016 at 9:15 AM, dthomasdigital said:

I'm part of this group called Survival Threads, great bunch of people. :)

Ha, yup ditto! 

• Upvote 1

I am an Anglican Priest (the Brits will know what that is) and I am bound to stay with my Church as long as there is a Church to stay with. I have heard of plans for a collective bug out but nothing concrete has been done about it so far, although we do have a location in mind. We try to keep food and necessities on hand but we could wipe out a pantry in a day, depending on how many come to us for help. 

I myself have been a Boy Scout, experienced camper, hunter (with the appropriate survival skills), and sometimes fisherman, and one of the other Priests is ex-military with combat experience.  I don't know if we can feed 5000 with a couple of fish and loaves of bread, but we are bound to try.

• Upvote 3

On 29/09/2016 at 2:15 PM, dthomasdigital said:

I'm part of this group called Survival Threads, great bunch of people. :)

All part of my plan to start my own militia ;) 

• Upvote 2

no, the people worth having are too far scattered from each other to be any help. The ones close enough, I dont trust their abilities or judgement.

everybody "thinks' that they should be the chief and everyone should follow their orders. :-) What  you'll get instead is stabbed in the back, and rightfully so.

4 hours ago, kenne said:

everybody "thinks' that they should be the chief and everyone should follow their orders. :-) What  you'll get instead is stabbed in the back, and rightfully so.

so when SHTF does go down how should those choose a "leader"?  I myself and my family choose to stay by ourselves. 

best idea is stay away from others completely and as long as possible. Contagious diseases will run rampant again. Get your immunizations now, all of them possible.

• Upvote 1

Still looking for a group. One of the reasons I'm here, to meet like minded individuals and slowly establish trust when building a team. Safety in numbers no matter if it's a Dangerous hunt or SHTF. I'm fairly private and not discussing my preps, nor current gear and equipment. I may be bold, but I'm cautious and careful enough to not assume not approach random people in stores, etc and talk about survivalism. In my experience, most are fakes or merely just tourists or recreational it's that think things are fun and games.

Kenne, Wait!  Read up on the down sides to all those "immunizations", first!  Maybe read up on "Colloidal Silver" and "Oregano oil" and a blended anti-viral essential oil like "OnGuard" first!  The shots are more dangerous, nowadays, than the risk!  Read up on both before you debate it, please.  We've used essential oils and herbs like Turmeric and Goldenseal for years.  Tumeric and Frankincense oil can even cure skin cancer.  I've done it.  All provided in nature...

Edited by KCM