Survival Threads
Thomas

Do you have a survival group or community?

I don't belong to a group but would like to find others close to who do prep. I just don't feel comfortable talking to people about what I have on hand and not sure how to approach the subject with others. If SHTF it would be very hard with only the wife and I, security alone would take most of our time and energy. Would like to find about 6-12 people that could band together anymore I think would be a problem over time. 

7 hours ago, Chili Pepper said:

I don't belong to a group but would like to find others close to who do prep. I just don't feel comfortable talking to people about what I have on hand and not sure how to approach the subject with others. If SHTF it would be very hard with only the wife and I, security alone would take most of our time and energy. Would like to find about 6-12 people that could band together anymore I think would be a problem over time. 

Down side to the net, while we can find like minds, they might be 10,000 miles away. 

A thought on security; you can buy little RF doppler effect cards for $0.75 each. They draw micro-amps and could be used for monitoring a perimeter as is. For a few $ more , better cards with more range ( 10 meters as opposed to 2 ) are $7 , and hacked into a "remote" key fob, can be made into cig pack sized deployable for camp sites.  More people, and a good dog,  is still the best plan, but at least these would give a little warning and don't take food and water. They detect motion just fine through walls, so also a way to be alerted to someone casing your house. A neighbour had one just inside her door that set off a recording of a large barking dog, and it did scare off a few unwanted guests.

10 hours ago, Gary_Gough said:

Down side to the net, while we can find like minds, they might be 10,000 miles away. 

A thought on security; you can buy little RF doppler effect cards for $0.75 each. They draw micro-amps and could be used for monitoring a perimeter as is. For a few $ more , better cards with more range ( 10 meters as opposed to 2 ) are $7 , and hacked into a "remote" key fob, can be made into cig pack sized deployable for camp sites.  More people, and a good dog,  is still the best plan, but at least these would give a little warning and don't take food and water. They detect motion just fine through walls, so also a way to be alerted to someone casing your house. A neighbour had one just inside her door that set off a recording of a large barking dog, and it did scare off a few unwanted guests.

That would be ok for a quick short term, but just like the pews system they alert to everything so anything that moves will give a reading. You would also need to have someone awake to monitor it. Sleep deprivation will be in full effect within a few days with only two people. I understand what you are saying about the 10,000 miles away thing. The other part of that is if you do find some people in your area how do you build the trust to bring them in? I would also need to ensure that they are bringing something in and not just leaching off.