Elise

Tips for keeping bathroom humidity low?

13 posts in this topic

Just curious what advice you guys might have for keeping humidity low in bathrooms?

Ones I've used with success:

• Damp traps
  • Dehumidifier
  • Cracking open window when showering
  • Taking colder showers
  • Cranking up heat indoors

But here in the UK I've got no outlets in my bathroom so no place for a dehumidifier, and I live in an apartment that turns off heat until it gets cold, so I can't really crank up the heat until that's switched on (*crossing fingers some time soon*).

I've seen these tips online that I'm down for trying:

• Wiping down condensation after showers
  • Making sure to keep dust on vent cover as low as possible by cleaning quite regularly

But I'd also love to know if you have any other tips. Always room for improvement!

Well, not sure if you have space for this, but used to hang a burlap bag of calcium chloride over a bucket as a dehumidifier. The bag keeps dripping saturated water absorbed from the air into the bucket. Take the bucket outside and boil the water out and you can re-use the CaCl2 or could just spread it on any gravel driveways - paths that you want to keep the dust down on. It's used for that as it keeps the gravel a little moist all the time by sucking moisture out of the air. Also used to melt ice. Used as antifreeze in water filled tyres on farm tractors and as a desiccant in everything from cement work to food processing. 

Gary, is calcium chloride the active ingredient in those "Damp Rid" type Room Moisture pots?

(not confusing it with Silica Gel.)

Edited by kiwitransient

12 hours ago, kiwitransient said:

Reduce steam and shower with a friend..

That usually increases steam.

Shower with the bathroom door open may help.

Edited by crazyman

13 hours ago, kiwitransient said:

Gary, is calcium chloride the active ingredient in those "Damp Rid" type Room Moisture pots?

(not confusing it with Silica Gel.)

Just looked them up, yes it's exactly how they work and the same chemical. Silica just saturates and then needs baking to reuse, some lab grade changes colour as an indicator. This stuff actually drips off given the chance. It's also used to salt roads with the added benefit of eating cars ( if you make cars ), one of the major car makers used to give Ontario all they wanted for free "in the interest of public safety". 

It's used as a sodium free salt replacement ( not sure that's a great idea ) and has some medical uses injected ( don't try at home ).

http://www.damprid.com/moisture-odor-control-center/how-damprid-works

Edited by Gary_Gough
added link

23 hours ago, Gary_Gough said:

Well, not sure if you have space for this, but used to hang a burlap bag of calcium chloride over a bucket as a dehumidifier. The bag keeps dripping saturated water absorbed from the air into the bucket. Take the bucket outside and boil the water out and you can re-use the CaCl2 or could just spread it on any gravel driveways - paths that you want to keep the dust down on. It's used for that as it keeps the gravel a little moist all the time by sucking moisture out of the air. Also used to melt ice. Used as antifreeze in water filled tyres on farm tractors and as a desiccant in everything from cement work to food processing. 

Seriously Gary, you are hands down the smartest 'virtual' person I've ever met! I wished you lived in Southern Ontario as I would seek you out for any SHTF event! 

Hi, is it possible to put in a external vent in the window?

Solar powered vents are now available, which would get around the issue of no power points in Bathroom. They also run on NiMH batteries.

If you can get rid off the steam before it settles, it would negate the issue of how to get rid of it after the fact. Prevention is better than cure.

6 hours ago, Rspreps said:

Seriously Gary, you are hands down the smartest 'virtual' person I've ever met! I wished you lived in Southern Ontario as I would seek you out for any SHTF event! 

Maybe we should rename Him G.G,. short for Google Gary, or Giggle Gary as he has a great sense of humour..

@kiwitransient could stick my middle initial in ( "W" yep I share my initials with a bluejean company ) but I use Duckduckgo instead of Google , and that doesn't fit in.

Hmm, I should sacrifice a novelty item to see if we can invent a cure.. I ordered a few tap heads with built in generators and LEDs that change colour with temperature ( wanted a visual indication for "too hot for your hands" ) and got a couple of lightshow ones mixed in, in error. Might be interesting to cut one apart to see how much power they generate , and if a rechargeable CR2032 and a 5 volt computer fan would move enough air. Horrible way to treat a battery though.

Apartments usually don't like you making changes ( like the GFI outlet I'd stick into a bathroom here ) but a spin on shower head is generally fine, and if it makes electricity, how can that be a problem? Hmm , there is flat tape , adhesive backed, speaker wire ( generally used for unobtrusive cabling ) maybe a 12v supply outside the bathroom and a run through the door up to the window, and a larger computer cooling fan. Isolated 12 volts shouldn't run afoul of code either. Or one other option, 3 or 4 salvaged Li-ion 18650 cells and a 12v fan, and just use a charger between uses. That could also increase the effectiveness of a CaCl2 set up if the windows won't work with a fan insert.  

We've got a vent in the washroom that runs through the entire building, but it doesn't seem to be near as effective as cracking open the window. I guess the humidity problem isn't bad at all, just wondering if there are easy ways to keep away potential problems before they become full fledged problems so to speak. I was thinking something like a homemade damp trap, so Gary's suggestion of using CaCl2 I might try if things get a bit too bad in the winter. There is enough space. Because heat is included in the rent, the building management chooses when the heat goes on and off, meaning I can't just have it on all the time in the washroom to get rid of any dampness. Much better now that it's on some hours, though - back in September it was pretty bad considering there was no heat on at all until "it got cold enough."

Good observation Elise..just getting the humidity out the window is a great plan and an encased fan there with some airflow at showertime and a bit after, and if necessary running an extension cord to the fan is a huge step in the right direction..

cheers

window fan.jpg