Survival Threads
Dan Seven

How to Start a Fire with your Pee

@Dan Seven Would it be ok to hijack this thread and use it for videos of unlikely ways to start fires? Things like "Mug the steel drum player and A: use his drum to focus sunlight, B: kill his rhythm machine and use the power supply and a thin wire from the speaker to light a kleenex, C: steal his lighter.... "

Three right there and our prospective replacement national anthem too :)

Or maybe a more traditional violet laser and fire drug.

fire.gif

• Upvote 2

On 04/10/2016 at 6:33 PM, Dan Seven said:

Today there is no Sun and they are predicting 4 inches of Snow..already started..not the greatest day to try this out..

:|

Clearly you are not a true survivalist! ;) 

• Upvote 1

Back to using that recycled beer..

A how to from Cody's Lab. Best not be in a hurry though, or plan well ahead, the process takes about a year.

End product is Chinese fire drug, or black powder if you make the effort. Same stuff I lit with that UV laser 9_9

Also means you can hunt using urine. Before it was abandoned ( last field pieces fired in anger with this stuff was in a police action in Vietnam in the 1970s, you may have heard about it, made most of the papers ) two formulations had been pretty much standardized. English -- 75% KNO3, 15% C and 10% S , or German 75% KNO3, 15% S and 10% C . Both worked about as well, but the early stuff , about 1200 years ago, had all sorts of ratios generally lighter on the Potassium Nitrate, more charcoal, and anything else that was handy ( honey for instance ). So lots of potential tinder formulas.

• Upvote 1

bust or burn the wood off of 2 pencils. X the graphite rods and insert them into an electrical outlet. they will swiftly get red hot. hold a piece of TP to the x and you'll have a fire almost instantly. :-) rub pencil "lead" flat on a pc of white paper, lots of the graphite. Put it into the microwave and it will be aflame in less than one minute. touch both ends of a short pc of insulated wire to the ends of a AA battery and touch a pc of TP to the connection, you'll have a fire. pull a bullet, drop a loose twist/strand of clothing/sock down the barrel a bit. fire the bulletless shot up into the air. Have a tinder bundle ready, and swiftly move the burning cloth to the tinder.  Several fishhooks and a pc of paracord "sheath" can be used instead of insulated wire. cattail fluff or mouse nest can be used in place of the Toilet paper.  run a strand of fluffed out cordage or a hunk of clothing/sock down into the gas tank, or pull the fuel line loose at the fuel pump or at the injectors, some how, get gas on the cloth/cordage. Use a wrench, screwdriver or wire to short the battery/spark into the gas soaked rag.

Edited by kenne
  • Upvote 1

just having a fire is not much help. You have to know to have 4 small fires all around you, heating rocks to bury under you, so that you dont have to sit up all night tending fires. If all you have is one fire, the far side of you freezes while the other side of you burns. you have to build a shelter for your fire/s and keep it dampened, or it will catch afire. You have to find a decent shelter for yourself before building the fire. What keeps you warm/dry while you gather all that fire-wood for the night, hmm? Best have proper clothing and some sort of water-wind proof fabric that you can cover up with.

1 hour ago, kenne said:

i see no reason to save people who are so stupid as to enter the woods without proper gear.

Kind of goes to a point about survival "Reality" shows I made elsewhere. You don't just appear in the bush, or the bar for that matter, you got there from some place and have what you brought along. Hiking into the bush is a deliberate act and takes time. Appropriate equipment depends on where you go, a fire bow might let you win a bar bet in a significantly tolerant bar, but wouldn't be my first choice over cash there. Cash might help start a fire in the bush, but I'll take matches and a hatchet first. ( have won a few beer with two matches, but that's knowing a hand trick ). Anyone who knows how to start a fire rubbing sticks together also knows enough to have matches, metal matches, a lighter, and maybe one more choice with them. ( so they don't ever need to rub sticks together. Ok I'm lazy ) Heck I've got enough stuff in a hockey bag, in my truck, to camp for a week in a snow drift before I'd even start to need to exert myself. So far I've only used it a couple of times on long drives when I needed a rest, sleeping in -40 weather comfortably. Well a couple of roadside repairs too ( oddly enough 100 km from anyone, in the bush ) but still on a road so hardly lost or even worried. In the bush my skills as a mechanic were more valuable then fire starting :P and carrying tools is a good plan.

Other then that it still might be ok to rescue someone too clueless to be in the bush. Could be entertaining discussing their economic doctoral thesis, for instance.

Why is it that most people will die before hurting even a rental car?  Cig lighter or wires across the battery, upholstery and gasoline in the tank, it seems to me there are lots of options before freezing to death ( like 4 businessmen did on the Alaska highway when the cold stopped their rental car ). A blazing car is also not a bad signal fire. 

drip that gas onto debris/wood and even wet stuff will burn for a long, long time. This reluctance to damage a car is especially strange if they have full coverage insurance! :-) The number of gear items is a crock, too. what matters is bulk/weight, strength and physical fitness. my 30 items might have less bulk and weight than your 10 items and might be 10x more useful. A petite woman who does not exercise might be unable to run with a 25 lb pack, whereas a big strong, really fit man might be able run for hours with a 50 lb pack.

Location, location, location ( or more to the point situation ) what I'd haul on foot and what I do haul in my truck are very different. Hardly going to need a wrench set on foot and the cooking gear is mostly just extra weight when you are surrounded with deadfall trees.  Those frozen executives were south of Whitehorse, small trees as far as you can see.  Two had set out on foot and made it 1/4 mile. Dressed for it and having your wits about you and you could hike out, but business suits don't count as dressed for anything other then formal political battle. Hiking is a last ( and fairly stupid ) resort if you are still on a road. Build a fire and wait and they'd have had a good chance of being found alive.

An example picture from my own area. Nearest settlement behind me was 120 miles, ahead about the same. Might be 4 trucks a day over that road. Temperature would have been 20 below 0 F at solar noon ( about an hour after I snapped that ). Rental truck ( I was working on a govt. project ) which I repaired before starting out ( fan belt was failing when I took delivery ). Ignoring the fact that I threw my winter travel hockey bag in the truck, I would have still had heat and water till spring ( that's a lake on the right ) shelter from the wind as long as I stayed with the truck. Safe as houses barring panic.  In fact also had an extra 10 gallons of gas, full extreme cold wear, Arctic rated sleeping bag and a weeks supply of food and pots, heat etc.  Why be uncomfortable?

Assume a break down, steel can shatter in the cold and if it had been a GM they were known to have the auto-choke come full on and flood a warm engine at 38 below ( personal experience ).  ( Fords don't get along with blizzards BTW, air scoop behind the grill sucks snow into the intake, also personal experience )

Hiking out? well a truck will be along, that's a major highway, so bad idea. If I'd gone off the road up a survey line, then that might be the best plan in which case the huge bag would have provided the cloths and equipment to do it relatively safely, main bag stays behind. Knowledge still wins out over panic, hiking when it's -40 or colder is a slow process if you want to live through it. Exertion to the point of heavy breathing and you can freeze your lungs. Anyone running in that is at least going to have a fairly quick death, pack or not.

Friend of mine was taught to fly in an open cockpit plane ( 1939 they were still the trainers ) and told me about one flight. Just because it's 75 F on the ground doesn't mean a thing about at altitude. Scarves and insulated flight jackets have a reason. New recruit from England decided he didn't need a scarf as it was so nice out, took it up did his solo, landed and died in the hour. 60 below at his altitude and you don't feel your lungs freezing. Death is basically drowning.

STA70550sm.JPG

start by having enough sense to not live where it gets that cold, for that long. You'd have to pay me 1/4 million a year and you'd only get ONE year out of me for the money, too. Cold's nearly killed me numberous times. As bad as heat sucks, it's a lot less likely to actually harm you than cold is.

Thank God there are better ways to make fire than to rely upon urine and a balloon/condom. Be prepared carry a BIC matches and or ferro rod and be experienced in the use of these tools and proper tinders to make fire.

Dom

Edited by DomC
  • Upvote 1

I saw a great video of starting a fire with raw cotton and two planks ( or plank and floor ) variant of rubbing sticks :) . Tightly rolled cotton rolled between the flat surfaces and building up enough heat to ignite. ( and linked below )

• Upvote 1

Maybe should add a couple of ways to extinguish a fire too. Rocket candy, it does burn very hot and fast, but the gases it produces don't support fire, same goes for gun powder. That laser + black powder gif actually didn't keep burning, could have been made into a large ember if rolled up in dryer lint and would have taken right off if that was in birch bark, But just because you have a hot flair it doesn't mean it's a good fire starter. Does make an impressive spark catcher though :) .

One other comment on the vast array of things we could pack to make a fire... why?  I probably use fire more then most non-smokers ( remove the coating from wires, cut nylon rope and seal the end, shrink small tubing over wire splices .... ) but a torch style lighter works fine, so does a metal match or safety matches. I can't see myself whipping the glycerine and potassium permanganate out to start a fire to cut a rope, and what I do carry will light a wood stove just fine.

• Upvote 1

On 28/02/2017 at 6:36 AM, Gary_Gough said:

Maybe should add a couple of ways to extinguish a fire too. Rocket candy, it does burn very hot and fast, but the gases it produces don't support fire, same goes for gun powder. That laser + black powder gif actually didn't keep burning, could have been made into a large ember if rolled up in dryer lint and would have taken right off if that was in birch bark, But just because you have a hot flair it doesn't mean it's a good fire starter. Does make an impressive spark catcher though :) .

One other comment on the vast array of things we could pack to make a fire... why?  I probably use fire more then most non-smokers ( remove the coating from wires, cut nylon rope and seal the end, shrink small tubing over wire splices .... ) but a torch style lighter works fine, so does a metal match or safety matches. I can't see myself whipping the glycerine and potassium permanganate out to start a fire to cut a rope, and what I do carry will light a wood stove just fine.

Aye, I carry a Bic everywhere with me, so does @Elise . I get the appeal of "primitive" fire starting but pragmatically- I doubt I will ever be placed in a situation where I *have* to do it.

• Upvote 1