Survival Threads
Aquinas

December 2016 pocket dump

• Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (yeah, I know, I am behind the times)
  • Fitbit Alta
  • Nail Clip
  • Case Sodbuster Jr.
  • Kangora "tactical" flashlight
  • Buck Selkirk small folder

IMG_0287.JPG

• Upvote 4

It's great, someone gave one of these to me a few years ago and I lost it at some point. I found a source for them not long ago, and if it's not the same one I lost it's very close, you buy them in packs of five for about $20. I'll post a link when I get to a real computer. It's supposed to be 300 lumens but there is some dispute about that from other customers, but I can tell you we have a ton of small flashlights and these are the brightest.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Aquinas said:

It's great, someone gave one of these to me a few years ago and I lost it at some point. I found a source for them not long ago, and if it's not the same one I lost it's very close, you buy them in packs of five for about $20. I'll post a link when I get to a real computer. It's supposed to be 300 lumens but there is some dispute about that from other customers, but I can tell you we have a ton of small flashlights and these are the brightest.

That is so good - what a great price, too. Never usually expect small flashlights to be very bright, so that's amazing.

We unloaded a lot of small flashlights on my dad before we left Canada. Still need to restock but so glad to have given them to him because he actually uses them quite a bit - used them in front of us before even.

Always like to have a number of small flashlights handy in case someone we know wants one. They're so cheap, it's not like the price of the item matters anyway - so you don't feel bad even if they barely end up carrying it.

1 hour ago, dthomasdigital said:

I'll due a new pocket dump after Christmas got my fingers crossed that the wife has been listing to my so so subtle hints.

I would love to know your way of dropping "so so subtle hints" lol.

One you might like ( AA or 14500 Li-Ion ) and at $3.20 Canadian each with free shipping, they aren't a budget breaker. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Lovely-Pets-Free-shipping-Sky-Wolf-Eye-Super-Bright-5000LM-CREE-Q5-AA-14500-3-Modes/32697461012.html

I've had great luck with the brand too, about 20 lights and not one dud.

They also make some AAA size

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1PC-High-quality-Mini-1000LM-Zoomable-CREE-Q5-LED-Flashlight-Torch-Super-Bright-Light-Lamp-Free/32776256446.html

They don't mention using 10440 cells, so those probably can't take Li-ion  ( the 10440 will work in a Thrunite Ti , and turn them into a blinding key fob ).

• Upvote 2

I think imma go on a shopping spree whenever I go back to visit relatives in .ca

Seriously, between the stuff we've already got there and our extra buys, we'll probably make the cost of the flight completely worth it ;)

• Upvote 2

Yes true. For some reason I wasn't paying attention and thought you linked to amazon.ca listings. Haven't tried Ali Express to the UK yet (though of course you're right and they would ship here), but we have tried Fast Tech a number of times and shipping is actually considerably faster than to Canada - so nice.

Will ask Thomas to add some of these to the to-buy list.

• Fitbit Alta
  • Nail Clip
  • Case Sodbuster Jr.

I really like the Sodbuster Jr.  I'm gonna buy one before too long.  We also have a lot of flashlights.  I have one like yours and it really does light up way more than one would think.  Just bought a package of ten even smaller flashlights.  It uses a AA battery and has a little sturdy cord on the end. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kaye :) said:
  • Fitbit Alta
  • Nail Clip
  • Case Sodbuster Jr.

I really like the Sodbuster Jr.  I'm gonna buy one before too long.  We also have a lot of flashlights.  I have one like yours and it really does light up way more than one would think.  Just bought a package of ten even smaller flashlights.  It uses a AA battery and has a little sturdy cord on the end. 

At work we have those hardware store utility knives with the replaceable blades, they are all but useless because of the shape of the blade and they don't really hold an edge. This little Case Sodbuster has a very useful shape to it and holds an edge far better than one of those cheapies, although I have to be discreet about taking out knives because I don't want the safe spacers to get the vapors and complain to HR about it. 

A while back I found a large Sodbuster with yellow scales that I have been coveting, as far as I am concerned if you have to have a slipjoint the Sodbuster is it.

• Upvote 2

8 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Okay, I succumbed to temptation and ordered the large yellow Case sodbuster.

Is the Imperial Sodbuster any good?  I noticed the price is a good bit cheaper than the Case....at least on Ebay.

• Upvote 1

That I couldn't say...the only reason I ended up with the Case is because I got a smoking deal on it, I normally don't buy slipjoints. This knife was a pleasant surprise. 

As they say, you get what you pay for.

Edited by Aquinas
  • Upvote 2

I might be tempted to check this one out myself:

https://www.amazon.com/Rough-Rider-Knife-jigged-handle/dp/B003SPUW16/ref=pd_sim_200_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B003SPUW16&pd_rd_r=E10YJDKNBVERYSAXZSXJ&pd_rd_w=Lym4x&pd_rd_wg=UPRjq&psc=1&refRID=E10YJDKNBVERYSAXZSXJ

Always remember, though: there are only two kinds of knives - sharp knives and dull knives. With a sharp knife you can field dress a dinosaur. With a dull knife you can spread peanut butter. 

• Upvote 3

I put a bid in on a yellow Shrade Imperial Sodbuster.  So far I have it for just under $6.00, but there still a day or so to go.  If I don't get the one on Ebay I'll probably get the one from Rough Rider.

• Upvote 1

On 12/20/2016 at 0:01 PM, Elise said:

That is so good - what a great price, too. Never usually expect small flashlights to be very bright, so that's amazing.

We unloaded a lot of small flashlights on my dad before we left Canada. Still need to restock but so glad to have given them to him because he actually uses them quite a bit - used them in front of us before even.

Always like to have a number of small flashlights handy in case someone we know wants one. They're so cheap, it's not like the price of the item matters anyway - so you don't feel bad even if they barely end up carrying it.

I would love to know your way of dropping "so so subtle hints" lol.

Elise, I found the original flashlight that caused me to buy the one in the picture, and it's identical. Works every time - to find a lost item, replace it with another one.

• Upvote 1

20 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Works every time - to find a lost item, replace it with another one.

Time for you to start writing a book of proverbs ;). First entry.