Survival Threads
kenne

if I can have only one item (other than clothes)

it would be 50 yds of monofilament, 2.5" mesh, 5 ft wide gill net. It can form a pack, a hammock, shelter, a raft,  (including portable shelter, via grass bundles tied to a chunk of gill nets) Parts of it can be unraveled, made into snares, used to secure stuff, make bird traps, trotlines, etc.

• Upvote 2

of course, but good health is always a "given" for this sort of discussion. it has to be the starting point, cause if shtf, those without health are effed, no matter what they do or what gear they have.

Probably my 1960's Era  carbon steel 'Herters' (remember them?) Canadian belt knife.  My outdoor goto since the 1980's.

A full beer truck would be handy, too. :)

21 hours ago, Wyzyrd said:

A full beer truck would be handy, too. :)

Yup. A tractor trailer full of beer on a Friday and Saturday night in Sudbury after SHTF and the worlds your oyster. You'd probably have a fully fueled jet waiting for you in TO for a Sunday morning getaway too.

I'd take a KG of coke for my one item. Head for Sudbury since I'd know you be there with the beer and would spit cost on the jet for Sunday morning.

One Item is nearly impossible for SHTF, WROL or any bug out situation. Food, water, shelter and defense/security are the 4 needs. 3 of the 4 are for your health. Clothes are a subcategory of shelter, as you need protection against the elements. A truck or car or even suv can act as improvised shelter if you don't have time to grab your tent or don't have a shelter in a Bug out location. Defense protects the first 3. Anything else is extra. So for me, it would be Arms to cover the fourth and the previous three.

Sorry..unless but by the most backward thinking your "right to bear arms' argument ain't gonna fly in the face of modern thinking.

Where on these 2 accepted Lists of Essentials do You see your 'Arms" ?

Folks are trying to figure out from people that know what they are doing here what they really need. Even in the SAS Survival Handbook nowhere does he speak about 'Arms" as an essential, and the author was a Commando. Even a knife did not make it on the updated top 10 list. As most people know, guns are a protection racket for paranoia, and in most survival situations..largely or wholly unnecessary which is why they don't make the top ten lists.

Where I live, even in areas where the Bears and Wolves Rule, unless it is hunting Season, having a firearm means You are poaching,unless special permits are obtained.

Updated Top 10

Navigation (map and compass)

Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen)

Insulation (extra clothing, 

Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)

First-aid supplies

Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles)

Repair kit and tools

Nutrition (extra food)

Hydration (extra water)

Emergency shelter

Classic Ten Essentials

Map

Compass

Sunglasses and sunscreen

Extra clothing

Headlamp/flashlight

First-aid supplies

Firestarter

Matches

Knife

Extra food

23 hours ago, Dan Seven said:

Sorry..unless but by the most backward thinking your "right to bear arms' argument ain't gonna fly in the face of modern thinking.

Where on these 2 accepted Lists of Essentials do You see your 'Arms" ?

Folks are trying to figure out from people that know what they are doing here what they really need. Even in the SAS Survival Handbook nowhere does he speak about 'Arms" as an essential, and the author was a Commando. Even a knife did not make it on the updated top 10 list. As most people know, guns are a protection racket for paranoia, and in most survival situations..largely or wholly unnecessary which is why they don't make the top ten lists.

Where I live, even in areas where the Bears and Wolves Rule, unless it is hunting Season, having a firearm means You are poaching,unless special permits are obtained.

Updated Top 10

Navigation (map and compass)

Sun protection (sunglasses and sunscreen)

Insulation (extra clothing, 

Illumination (headlamp/flashlight)

First-aid supplies

Fire (waterproof matches/lighter/candles)

Repair kit and tools

Nutrition (extra food)

Hydration (extra water)

Emergency shelter

Classic Ten Essentials

Map

Compass

Sunglasses and sunscreen

Extra clothing

Headlamp/flashlight

First-aid supplies

Firestarter

Matches

Knife

Extra food

Just stop. Please. It's seriously at the point between virtue signalling and trolling.

You've made your views clear on every other topic already, theres no need to turn YET another one into the same debate

Something to light a fire.  Among all the other things it would be nice to have, and as much as I like kenne's gill net, I'd go with flint and steel or lighters.  Make the flint and steel part of a hatchet and I'd be even happier. 

Don't know about other states, but wild boar, coyote, beaver, woodchuck, groundhog, nutria, snake, and a few others have no closed season. Wolves here are protected and coyote hunting in the east requires a permit.  Dare county and such. However, in a Shtf or Wrol situation, poaching becomes traditional or old world hunting. No license needed or limits.

I agree with Zachmars, Dan.  We get too philosophical, sometimes.  The posts are for everyone, generally?

I use my rifle to hunt wild pigs.  I use a shotgun to hunt dove and put down rattlesnakes (only if in the yard).  The pigs are a nuisance and a good source of food year around in most parts of he globe.  If I also thought my rifle and shotgun would be handy for home defense (if it became necessary) then they rank high on my personal list.  Maybe even #1.

As for me, if i had to pick only one item, it would be......

Toilet paper!

or

Soap!

Edited by KCM

Let's just take a reality check. This forum is like You say..for everyone. This Forum is read by folks all over the world.

Over 75% of the world's population would be breaking the law by taking a firearm into the wilderness of their own country, outside of hunting seasons if applicable, and then of course subject to licensing. Over 1.1 billion are open to a death sentence for illegal hunting with a firearm in their home Country, while 2.2 billion are not allowed to own a firearm by Law.

I can't conscience including a firearm on a world wide top ten essential survival items list in light of this reality. If I lived in the USA out in the sticks like i do now, i would definitely string one along. 

While many countries have "freedom'' or are sovereign, the same level of freedom as the US does not apply. As you have shown, Dan, most of those countries are either communist or otherwise oppressive. Germany, Japan, North Korea, China, Australia, possibly Canada and definitely Russia. Once again, you have too much of a modern sense of Arms. It's possible that the countries allow swords, bows and other medieval arms. With England and Scotland being the core of such history, think outside guns.

1 hour ago, Dan Seven said:

Let's just take a reality check. This forum is like You say..for everyone. This Forum is read by folks all over the world.

Over 75% of the world's population would be breaking the law by taking a firearm into the wilderness of their own country, outside of hunting seasons if applicable, and then of course subject to licensing. Over 1.1 billion are open to a death sentence for illegal hunting with a firearm in their home Country, while 2.2 billion are not allowed to own a firearm by Law.

I can't conscience including a firearm on a world wide top ten essential survival items list in light of this reality. If I lived in the USA out in the sticks like i do now, i would definitely string one along. 

This forum IS for everyone, but not everyone is in the same situation. This is the great things about forums, anyone can add their opinion, and give other people a different view.

This "list" is hypothetical, i can't think if anyone who would be limited to 10, or 2, items for *real* survival.

Firearms are extremely useful, be it for defensive use, or hunting. Considering that most city dwellers plans involve leaving a large population center for a rural area, firearms seem like a great idea. Crime flourishes in large population centers, and huntible game flourishes in rural areas, and even something as basic as a single shot .22 can suffice for both areas.

People do bad things when desperate, or when the long arm of the law isn't so long, and while some countries might not be able to arm themselves with guns, other options, like pepper spray, batons, or knives can be had.

They might not be as effective, but they are still "arms"

To keep this going, SHTF, WROL, TEOTWAWKI, or whatever, might not come to an end. A guide on how to get out of a forrest back to civilisation might be awesome and great, but it's not going to teach you full, long term self-sustainability.

If i had to pair my BoB to 10 items, I'm going to set it up for long term survival. Which would include a firearm

The question was, "If I could pick only one item (other han clothes)?"

I'm not wrong if "I" pick a pistol for Zach or toilet paper for me!

Besides, hunting rifle sales are off the charts in countries where they are still legal to apply for an application and take the test to own...

I'll bet black market sales are off the charts, too.... 

As for me, toilet paper!  Wait!  A baseball bat!

Can't I cheat and pick two things, please?

Edited by KCM

1 hour ago, KCM said:

The question was, "If I could pick only one item (other han clothes)?"

I'm not wrong if "I" pick a pistol for Zach or toilet paper for me!

Besides, hunting rifle sales are off the charts in countries where they are still legal to apply for an application and take the test to own...

I'll bet black market sales are off the charts, too.... 

As for me, toilet paper!  Wait!  A baseball bat!

Can't I cheat and pick two things, please?

My logic is, pick a pistol, and take how ever many items you want! :D

18 hours ago, zackmars said:

My logic is, pick a pistol, and take how ever many items you want! :D

Man!  Maybe you will get picked for someone else's team, LOL!

• Upvote 1

I know, it's an old post. But I'm posting anyway.................

One item? For me it would be a knife, a fixed blade. It may not always be the best thing to have, just one helluvatool to have for a ton of reasons. Makes life easier when it comes to most aspects of survival. A good camp axe would be a close second.

Add to that a rugged backpack, a wool blanket, a container for obtaining and storing water, and a length of paracord and you can hang in there longer. A 9'X7' square of canvas with a double sewn hems and 3 grommets on each side will buy you additional time.
All items listed are part of my base kit.

Definitely a firearm would make the list but not my biggest priority. You need ammo and ammo gets heavy, without ammo a firearm is useless. Also being mechanical, things can go wrong with a firearm, tools close by are essential. Not much you can do with a broken firearm.

Well, since you brought the thread back, I'll add my $0.02.  I'd probably go with a ferro rod w/striker.  (Technically 2 items, but I'm counting it as a kit).  Knife would be a close #2.

On 6/12/2017 at 12:50 PM, Dan Seven said:

so what? if shtf, there wont be any laws.  You can' t  even imagine how horrible it will be to be un-armed in such a situation.

At one point, everyone was sure the earth was flat and that the sun revolved around the earth. Just cause lots of fools believe something doesn't make it so.  If I could have only one item (assuming that ammo would go with it as part of the "item" ) I'd take a sound suppressed 10.5" barreled AR15 in 223, with a Ciener .22lr conversion unit, a 20 rd, 30 rd  100 rd drum mag, a 1x6 variable scope, luminous night sights, a free float tube fitted with a GI bipod, and a trigger job, the .22 unit to have a 15 and  a 30 rd mag.  I can gut the 100 rd drum for its mag spring and make fishhooks out of the wire, while the outside shell of it can be a container. I can remove the ejection port cover, sharpen its edges, and mount it in a wood handle. I can start fires with it, if need be.   I want half of my 150 rds  of 223 to be 60 gr Nosler Partition softpoints, with the remainder split between  62 gr steel capped ball and  69 gr hpbt Match ammo,   with a few tracers thrown in, perhaps.  I want 60 gr Aquila subsonic .22 ammo, a 500 rd brick of it.  With this set up, , I can get whatever else I  need, one way or another. Assuming that everyone else is going to play nice, when it's life or death, is a completely stupid thing to be doing.  People all over the world manage to have guns, legal or not.  If you're going to break the law, why not have the best? Dont settle for some clunk bolt action, or just a pistol. Get the combo that's the most likely to suffice for the greatest number,  most likely,   and most serious events.  And if shtf, being attacked is by far the most likely and most horrific possible event.  It's one thing to be cold or wet, and it's another to have enemies charging you or shooting at you. In the first case, you have many minutes in which to effect  your salvation.  In the latter case, you may well only  have a fraction of one second. A gun for which you have no ammo is just a club.  223 ammo is 35 rds to the lb,  while the heavy-bulleted  .22 ammo is 100 rds to the lb. This combo weighs 19 lbs, but the 20 lb BAR was lugged all over the world, by a million men and 30  lb belt feds (counting a 100 rd belt) were also, and have continued to be, since then, by 10's of millions of men.  100 rds of the 223 ammo can be cached and so can the 100 rd drum and 400 rds of the .22lr ammo, Doing so  saves   8lbs. Normally, since I'd only be out and about at night, half that much ammo would be plenty, saving  another lb. At night, the scope has almost no value, other than if it's a full  moon and snow is on the ground. But it's a great solar igniter for fire and it  lets me scan my area during daylight. It could be left behind, too.  So I'd then be down to just 10 lbs, yet still have a lot of versatility. So it costs $2000,  or even $5000 on the black market, so what? 

Edited by ratter