Survival Threads
kenne

clothing for the BOL

normal surplus cammies, a bush hat, a handkerchief, a pair each of polypro and thermax wool sox, T shirt and boxers.  For spares, merino wool longjohns, wool GI surplus shirt and pants, spare shorts and t shirt, spare pair of each type of sox and a pair of gore-tex sox.  If it's shtf, I'll also be wearing the soft armor.  You can only carry just so much bulk and weight, but my BOB pretty much handles any terrain and 4 season, except arctic or mountainous extremes. I'd never be anywhere near such times/places, anyway!  :-) Cold, ice and snow create so many dangers and hassles that can just be avoided, there's no reason to risk it. If its shtf, get in a raft/boat, or on a bike and gtfo out of such areas before it gets cold. Cause if you leave tracks or sign for enemies to notice, send up smoke, or make noise, it's likely to mean your death. Without a tractor, chainsaw, etc, cutting and hauling wood sux, folks.  It's hard, hot, calorie burning work, and it's highly likely to result in an injury. If shtf, injury is highly likely to result in your death, one way or the other. Given the fish are iced in, you have to melt ice to drink, the animals are hibernating or migrated, the plants are dead/buried under snow, it's just WAY too risky, when all you have to do is move a few hundred miles south/down in elevation and get out of it.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, kenne said:

normal surplus cammies, a bush hat, a handkerchief, a pair each of polypro and thermax wool sox, T shirt and boxers.  For spares, merino wool longjohns, wool GI surplus shirt and pants, spare shorts and t shirt, spare pair of each type of sox and a pair of gore-tex sox

This is a good list. Lightweight and not overdoing it on the carrying too much front.

What about a desert survival situation? Or would that be a "staying away at all costs" sort of thing like the cold, ice, and snow locations?

I'm so happy to be in the UK from Canada. Makes thinking about survival so much easier from a weather perspective. I definitely agree with you on the - if you can be away from the cold weather for survival, do it - front.

desert would rate as "getting out of ASAP:" type of terrain/conditions. The resources are just too thin on the ground in such areas.The high plains are almost as bad, especially if you dont have a hi-v rifle.  There's a reason  why the Indians were clumped into the areas where they were. Prior to the white man bringing horses to the Americas, the indians could only rarely take a bison. They did not know how to make a horn/sinew bow, giving them enough power for such large animals and big hunks of wood, of a type (suitable  for making a powerful bow )were rarely found and awkward to carry. they had to handcarry all their belongings, so what to do with 400 lbs of meat that you've taken?

. Later, they were able to run their pony right along side a bison, sticking multiple arrows into his ribs. and then following his blood trail when he could no longer keep up with the fleeing herd. Bill Cody used to lean over and shoot them in the earhole with a feeble .44 Russian S&W revolver. Doing so got a 10,000 piece order for same, from Duke Alexus of Russia, which made S&W a major force in the gun industry at the time.