Survival Threads
Elise

If you could have any survival/prepping/self-sufficiency skill overnight...

What would it be?

I guess that makes this a two pronged question:

• What do you think is the best skill to have?
  • What is the hardest skill to acquire (thus making it the best to attain overnight)?

If you've got two answers (one for each question) let me know, then let me know which probably outweighs the other..

Hmm, the ability to improvise or repair as needed. Very broad and poorly defined I know. I'd suggest it as a candidate for both parts of the question as it requires an understanding of first principles, imagination, and the confidence to make an attempt. End results , medical treatment, shelter, heat, food and water, transportation...

• Upvote 1

Deeper/better medical knowledge with practical (home/natural) remedies ability. I'm certainly not an expert in all other facets of preservation, but I think this type of specialized training/knowledge is invaluable especially in desperate times. 

• Upvote 1

On 08/01/2017 at 0:00 PM, Gary_Gough said:

Hmm, the ability to improvise or repair as needed. Very broad and poorly defined I know. I'd suggest it as a candidate for both parts of the question as it requires an understanding of first principles, imagination, and the confidence to make an attempt. End results , medical treatment, shelter, heat, food and water, transportation...

Yes, but definitely feels like you cheated on this one :P. You didn't pick one ability, you picked all the abilities in one ;).

On 08/01/2017 at 2:10 PM, Rspreps said:

Deeper/better medical knowledge with practical (home/natural) remedies ability. I'm certainly not an expert in all other facets of preservation, but I think this type of specialized training/knowledge is invaluable especially in desperate times. 

I think that's what I would end up choosing, too. Though I may still end up being useless even with the medical knowledge because I'm one of those people who feels faint at the sight of blood. Even sometimes just imagining it will make me feel dizzy. Wish I could conquer this somehow, but I didn't see many tips being offered online for how to even start "getting over it."

I think if I could grab a skill over night I'd choose gunsmith. It's a trade that I think would be invaluable if SHTF occurred. Not just to repair and modify them but build from scratch.

• Upvote 1

On 1/2/2017 at 0:48 PM, Elise said:

What would it be?

I guess that makes this a two pronged question:

• What do you think is the best skill to have?
  • What is the hardest skill to acquire (thus making it the best to attain overnight)?

If you've got two answers (one for each question) let me know, then let me know which probably outweighs the other..

Common Sense, the best skill in my honest opinion would be common sense.

The hardest skill to acquire in my honest opinion would be Trust. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, West Virginia Ridge Walker said:

Common Sense, the best skill in my honest opinion would be common sense.

The hardest skill to acquire in my honest opinion would be Trust. 

Those are good to have to be sure but  wouldn't you consider those as traits. Common sense isn't that common anymore and truth be told, you can't cure stupid. If you try to idiot proof anything in this world you will always underestimate the ingenuity of the idiot.

Trust is always earned in my opinion and for me once betrayed can never be regained fully. Fool around on your girl and if she finds out, no matter what, she will never fully trust you again no matter what you say or do or even if she says she does. Same would go for me. That's human nature or least my nature in my opinion.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, crazyman said:

Those are good to have to be sure but  wouldn't you consider those as traits. Common sense isn't that common anymore and truth be told, you can't cure stupid. If you try to idiot proof anything in this world you will always underestimate the ingenuity of the idiot.

Trust is always earned in my opinion and for me once betrayed can never be regained fully. Fool around on your girl and if she finds out, no matter what, she will never fully trust you again no matter what you say or do or even if she says she does. Same would go for me. That's human nature or least my nature in my opinion.

Prolly so, But IMHO, common sense can be taught if your willing to listen, mostly in life's lessons. As for Trust, it to may be earned but if you have grown  up being distrustful trust is very hard to earn. As my grandfather told me as well as the other elders, It is better to have less thunder in the mouth and more lightning in the hand. 

Edited by West Virginia Ridge Walker
  • Upvote 1

--What do you think is the best skill to have?

--What is the hardest skill to acquire (thus making it the best to attain overnight)?

Hmmm....improvising for sure.  I think that answer would cover a lot of ground so that may be a cheater answer. :)

So....to narrow it down---  I would like to be able to build a sturdy shelter (even if just for a temporary one) from only the things

surrounding me. 

The hardest skill to acquire overnight for me would be self defense.  I think I know just enough to get myself hurt. 

• Upvote 1

On 1/10/2017 at 4:11 AM, Kaye :) said:

The hardest skill to acquire overnight for me would be self defense.  I think I know just enough to get myself hurt. 

I feel you on this one, though I've in part not cared too much about learning anything because I'm always with Thomas.

@crazyman Agree that common sense & trust are more traits than skills, so @West Virginia Ridge Walker - what would you choose if you had to pick a specific skill?

Part of me really thinks that the ability to identify & know exactly what a specific plant can be used for would probably be the best skill I could acquire, especially since you could have so many different applications with so many different plants.. I might just choose that. Not that any magic genie's offering.

• Upvote 2

The skill that I'd like to get is how to cook and prepare food in the wild. I'm pretty good at making do, repairs etc but the ability to cook is one I'm sadly lacking in. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎2017‎-‎01‎-‎12 at 4:38 PM, Elise said:

Part of me really thinks that the ability to identify & know exactly what a specific plant can be used for would probably be the best skill I could acquire, especially since you could have so many different applications with so many different plants.. I might just choose that. Not that any magic genie's offering.

@elise I think this one would be pretty close to the top of my choices as well. It's not a skill you could learn overnight and without it I wouldn't touch a lot of stuff growing wild let alone eat it. What's edible or medicinal or just plain deadly is something I would love to get better at. Right now my knowledge would limit me to a bunch of berries and a couple of trees. It has only been this summer that I learned how many mulberry trees there were around me.

• Upvote 1

On 1/12/2017 at 10:10 PM, West Virginia Ridge Walker said:

@Elise to survive?

Yes. Sorry didn't reply until now!! Obviously am way too slow haha.

On 1/13/2017 at 11:30 PM, crazyman said:

@elise I think this one would be pretty close to the top of my choices as well. It's not a skill you could learn overnight and without it I wouldn't touch a lot of stuff growing wild let alone eat it. What's edible or medicinal or just plain deadly is something I would love to get better at. Right now my knowledge would limit me to a bunch of berries and a couple of trees. It has only been this summer that I learned how many mulberry trees there were around me.

Exactly, especially since, if I'm honest, I'm the type of person I'm sure who would mistake one plant for anther and end up poisoned or something... :|

Having a good knowledge on plants. There are thousands of varieties of plants out there and it is difficult to distinguish the edible ones. This is a skill that I would love to have and also it is very difficult to master because you must have an extensive knowledge on plants. 

• Upvote 1

There Botanical and Herbalist; 

Botanical able to indentify plants edible or not, and maybe a bit medicine or chemical substance contain it.

Herbalist able to indentify plants who have medicinal effect and able to mix it for ermegency use, maybe a bit knowledge about edible plants or not edible plants

Edited by Daimond25
  • Upvote 1

Judging from some of the survival shows and movies that I have seen and being traditional for the most part, I would say The Woodsman Vocation first, that way I will have the ability and knowledge to make my own clothes out of deer and animal hide, identify wood types and plants, make my own cabins, bows, arrows. Second skillset would be The Armsman Vocation, I then could make my own swords and knives. Lastly, a good team, at least Strike Team in size. Which is 3 persons. A good team would have discipline, vigor, be drug free and have different skillsets. It's invaluable to have a good team established. That way you have a combat medic, engineer, weaponsmith, an armourer, etc.

• Upvote 1

On 1/9/2017 at 11:11 PM, Kaye :) said:

--What do you think is the best skill to have?

--What is the hardest skill to acquire (thus making it the best to attain overnight)?

Hmmm....improvising for sure.  I think that answer would cover a lot of ground so that may be a cheater answer. :)

So....to narrow it down---  I would like to be able to build a sturdy shelter (even if just for a temporary one) from only the things

surrounding me. 

I suggest arming yourself with both lethal and non lethal defense tools, take reality based combatives like krav maga, systema or ninjitsu.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-01-09 at 9:30 AM, Elise said:

I think that's what I would end up choosing, too. Though I may still end up being useless even with the medical knowledge because I'm one of those people who feels faint at the sight of blood. Even sometimes just imagining it will make me feel dizzy. Wish I could conquer this somehow, but I didn't see many tips being offered online for how to even start "getting over it."

It comes with practice Elise. The first time I saw someone drive a steel rod through their arm and use it to lift a bucket at a martial arts demo, I had to sit down and let my head clear. Same with blood tests. Now I have to inject insulin multiple times a day and provide a bit of first aid quite often, hardly think about it. Doesn't mean I don't have empathy for people in pain, just that my internal focus has gone to "what needs to get done now".

• Upvote 2

1 st ) Armed/unarmed combat  ( armed in this instance means knives/sticks etc improvised etc , not guns )

2nd ) Use & training in long/short firearms for combat  .

Why , because thats the very start of survival .

And it takes time & application for 1 st ) , no short cuts , you actually have to train & then actully free fight , the more free fighting you do the better , for thats what a street fight is going to be , almost .

Me I would be looking at either Bruce Lee ( in the multiple styles he embraced ) , or " Kali " , but look at knife & stick fighting as well if not doing Kali which uses weapons and bare hands .

Simple really