Survival Threads

I know EDC isn't a new topic in here.  You can thank me for being Captain Obvious.  So what are you all carrying lately? :)

Just chatting a bit:  When I go out I have my purse with a few EDC things--- knife--- lighter--- medicine---  small first aid kit--- a couple of cereal bars-- flashlight ---paper clips that I will one day learn how to use as a lock pick--- and a misc. few other things I can't recall at the moment.  THEN, in my vehicle, I have a larger bag with things that I can't conveniently carry in my purse---a water purification straw--- bigger knife, another flashlight-- etc.

Inside my purse I have a small purse about the size of an index card (smaller actually) that I use when I want to go into a convenience store, etc, but don't want to carry my regular size purse. It has a long strap so I can carry it cross body. Bought the purse at a thrift store last week for $1.00. Inside the small little purse I carry my driver's license, my insurance card, cash-- a small knife--  hand cleaner-- a small lighter -- two peppermints--a tiny key ring flashlight--- and probably a couple of other things.  The items I carry in my pocket when I go out are:  small knife-- hand cleaner--  a small lighter. 

I have in my collection of tins a tin the size of the small Altoids container.  It's conveniently attached to a key chain ring.  I'm going to turn the key chain container into a survival kit.  I'll attach a carabiner to the key chain ring and attach it to the small purse (the one with my driver's license) or I'll clip it to a belt loop.

Thanks for reading :)

Edited by Kaye :)
  • Upvote 2

Hey Kaye. Looks like you're doing pretty well for yourself. Well thought out.
You ladies are fortunate in the way that you have the extra room to put things you EDC via the purse. How many times I think of carrying some things that I have really no place for so I keep them in my vehicle, unable to quickly get to them at a moments notice. Not you ladies. You can simply keep and retrieve needed and essential items in your purses wiithout the worry of having to scramble for them. Guess in a way that can make women much more prepared than men for a crisis.

• Upvote 2

On 1/9/2017 at 11:26 PM, Kaye :) said:

I know EDC isn't a new topic in here.  You can thank me for being Captain Obvious.  So what are you all carrying lately? :)

Just chatting a bit:  When I go out I have my purse with a few EDC things--- knife--- lighter--- medicine---  small first aid kit--- a couple of cereal bars-- flashlight ---paper clips that I will one day learn how to use as a lock pick--- and a misc. few other things I can't recall at the moment.  THEN, in my vehicle, I have a larger bag with things that I can't conveniently carry in my purse---a water purification straw--- bigger knife, another flashlight-- etc.

Inside my purse I have a small purse about the size of an index card (smaller actually) that I use when I want to go into a convenience store, etc, but don't want to carry my regular size purse. It has a long strap so I can carry it cross body. Bought the purse at a thrift store last week for $1.00. Inside the small little purse I carry my driver's license, my insurance card, cash-- a small knife--  hand cleaner-- a small lighter -- two peppermints--a tiny key ring flashlight--- and probably a couple of other things.  The items I carry in my pocket when I go out are:  small knife-- hand cleaner--  a small lighter. 

I have in my collection of tins a tin the size of the small Altoids container.  It's conveniently attached to a key chain ring.  I'm going to turn the key chain container into a survival kit.  I'll attach a carabiner to the key chain ring and attach it to the small purse (the one with my driver's license) or I'll clip it to a belt loop.

Thanks for reading :)

A paper clip to use as a lock pick? Or, you could always get a lock pick:

https://www.amazon.com/SECURII-Locksmith-Practice-Transparent-25-Piece/dp/B01LMZAZFQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484477561&sr=8-1&keywords=locks+picks

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Aquinas said:

Well that's a cool lock pick set.  A paper clip would be cheaper by far and easier to conceal.  I'm guessing you picked up on that. Pun intended.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, PappyHiker said:

You ladies are fortunate in the way that you have the extra room to put things you EDC via the purse. How many times I think of carrying some things that I have really no place for so I keep them in my vehicle, unable to quickly get to them at a moments notice. Not you ladies. You can simply keep and retrieve needed and essential items in your purses wiithout the worry of having to scramble for them. Guess in a way that can make women much more prepared than men for a crisis.

Yeah. That sounds right.  Every time I choose a purse to carry I think through the amount of EDC it will hold.  Just got a pretty nice backpack in the mail from Ebay.  It has three zipper pockets on the outside.  So naturally, it will hold a bit of everything.  The key for me is to not make it so heavy that I don't feel like keeping it as handy as a purse.

• Upvote 2

On 1/15/2017 at 9:44 AM, PappyHiker said:

You do realize "man bags" have made a huge comeback right ;). Ever thought about dragging something like the Condor EDC along with you? https://www.amazon.com/Condor-Edc-Bag-Black-4-5-Inch/dp/B007IWJC5M/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484564307&sr=8-1&keywords=condor+edc I don't think it would look funny at all.

Thomas wears a messenger bag almost everywhere he goes, though to be fair, we have to carry umbrellas (fickle UK weather - you never know!) and I refuse to wear a big purse anymore to carry them because literally whenever I carry a massive purse it turns into a jumbled mess. The messenger bag also comes in handy when we buy a lot of heavy food items like cans and jars from the grocery store.

@Kaye :) I personally love mini multi tools that aren't so mini they stop doing the job. Something like the Gerber Dime - https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Dime-Multi-Tool-Black-30-000469/dp/B006M9NIDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484564410&sr=8-1&keywords=gerber+dime

Super convenient in my opinion! Though where you'd put it I'm not sure. Maybe your big purse. You have a pretty tight system ;). Dig it.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Kaye :) said:

Well that's a cool lock pick set.  A paper clip would be cheaper by far and easier to conceal.  I'm guessing you picked up on that. Pun intended.

I had a locksmith explain the procedure of picking a padlock one time, it seems that the right tools make the job a lot easier and probably faster. This kit even has a practice lock. Lock picking is a skill I have always thought would be handy, but I am picky about my tools.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Elise said:

You do realize "man bags" have made a huge comeback right ;). Ever thought about dragging something like the Condor EDC along with you? 

Yes. Knew that that would be mentioned.
I've looked at that possibility for quite sometime now, have considered it, and tried it too. I always have a backpack in my vehicle for emergencies that could sustain me for maybe a couple of days. But I don't consider it part of my EDC because I don't actually carry it on me at any time throughout the day. Yes, only the gear carried on my person I consider a day's carry, not the gear in my vehicle. I also have a sling pack, and a fanny pack either of which would allow me to travel quick and light without the burden of a backpack. I have carried the sling pack on more than several occasions when I was going to be far enough from my vehicle that would make quick access to needed items impossible. Basically when I go to a county, state, or federal park with trails that can take you some distance away from your vehicle. Then a small daypack or sling pack is nice. I did look at messenger bags, none of which are designed to my liking for the items I'd most likely carry........
Anyway..... Mare loves to drag my old sorry butt to the mall. These are my problem areas. When I get out of the vehicle I do a quick gear check making sure I have those items that I'd need in the event of some kind of emergency. I quickly access the level of preparedness that I may need while I am there, and what's available to me while in the mall should I need something. Here's where I enter the crossroads and must make certain considerations. If there are additional item that I'd like to take with me, how would I incorporate them into my carry, especially in a nonconspicuous way. You see, here in America, a man wearing a backpack, or sling pack, or any other kind of bag in general in a public setting is not the norm and would draw allot of attention to a man, in this case from other mall customers, store management, and definitely mall security.... there is not only the fear that this man may be engaged in shoplifting, but but also that he may launch some kind of attack on people. Therefore he becomes a suspect, somebody to watch, and allot of attention will come his way. The Pittsburgh Police Department asks that citizens not bring backpacks to public events such as parades, and in some cases have banned them. Also there are also our stadiums that have limited the size of bags that you can take into them. But somehow a womans purse is still excluded from such scrutiny.
Now I'm a low profile kind of person not wanting to attract attention. I dress that way, and try to carry myself in such a way that not much attention comes to me. I'm the last person who would wear camuoflage, or carry cammo gear in public, unless that venue calls specifically for it, ie hunting/fishing. I don't want to be suspect in the public eye.......
Think about it, who would draw the most attention, a guy wearing cammo pants and Doc Martin boots, or a guy wearing jeans and sneakers? Or a man carrying a Maxpedition Versapac vs a man carrying nothing. And should an event occur nobody will be looking for a guy wearing khakis and a simple shirt. So when I go into a public setting I must make some gear considerations that in some cases I may not like. And if I want to take additional items, how to incorporate them in a way that won't draw attention to me, and buldging pockets aren't an option. That's why I like jackets with lots of pockets, and khaki cargo pants.... and the cooler weather in which I can wear these things, Summers present allot of problems for me let me tell you.

BTW. Pictured is the sling pack I take when I go to a park.... going to get another one that is a single color and not cammo.

IMG_4525.JPG

Edited by PappyHiker
wording
  • Upvote 2

On 1/16/2017 at 6:02 AM, Elise said:

@Kaye :) I personally love mini multi tools that aren't so mini they stop doing the job. Something like the Gerber Dime - https://www.amazon.com/Gerber-Dime-Multi-Tool-Black-30-000469/dp/B006M9NIDO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484564410&sr=8-1&keywords=gerber+dime

Super convenient in my opinion! Though where you'd put it I'm not sure. Maybe your big purse. You have a pretty tight system ;). Dig it.

I really like the Gerber Dime.  The price is great too.  Thanks for posting it.  That looks like a multi-tool that could replace some things that I carry and therefore make my big purse :) lighter.

• Upvote 2

@PappyHiker I can't carry my stanley like that anymore, the ends are too loose now from years of wear so the bits fall out into my pocket :P Personally I'm a big fan of pockets, 6 on my denim jacket alone ( counting two extra large unintentional ones on the inside ) 5 on the jeans and a large central one on the bunny hug ( hoody if you are American ). And then there are the various holsters on the belt ( home made cell phone, UV flashlight, 5 intensity Li-ion light ). Of course that means I've usually got an extra 5 Kg or more spread around.  Friend was commenting on me putting on weight and swatted what he thought was fat, followed by "WTF" when he hit the 2 meter Icom radio, they weren't called bricks for nothing, I pretty much covered the bar table when I emptied everything out. If you can't conceal carry 6 beer you aren't trying.  

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Gary_Gough said:

Personally I'm a big fan of pockets,

As I said, I'm big time about pockets too, lots of theml Love to wear my LL Bean Trail Model Fleese with cargo pants. Then I get lots of pockets. Add to that a jacket or coat and I'm in Heaven.
Then summer rolls around and I lose all my pockets. But I do wear cargo shorts which is a big plus.........

• Upvote 2

On 16/01/2017 at 1:46 PM, PappyHiker said:

You see, here in America, a man wearing a backpack, or sling pack, or any other kind of bag in general in a public setting is not the norm and would draw allot of attention to a man, in this case from other mall customers, store management, and definitely mall security....

Didn't think this because I thought the general attitude would be more like it is in Canada. Maybe because we can't conceal carry - no one cares about men wearing bags, no matter the size, really. You won't get looks at all, especially if you're wearing a leather satchel or something masculine yet completely non-tactical. And yes, camo draws attention, and you should always try to keep attention away from you. But yup, I figured you'd be able to get away with one "tactical" looking thing with jeans and a plain tshirt. I guess not though. So interesting cause I really wouldn't have thought this was the case. Obviously now that you pointed it out and explained, makes sense why you do things the way you do.

On 18/01/2017 at 3:39 AM, Kaye :) said:

I really like the Gerber Dime.  The price is great too.  Thanks for posting it.  That looks like a multi-tool that could replace some things that I carry and therefore make my big purse :) lighter.

Yeah it's an awesome thing to have around. And do let us know if you switch things up!

On 18/01/2017 at 4:15 AM, Gary_Gough said:

If you can't conceal carry 6 beer you aren't trying.  

Lol!

About pockets.. wish more women's clothes had them.. or well, had usable ones. Though that's another story that I think has already been talked to death. It's cargo pants or gtfo for us. I can't even fit my phone in my jean pockets...

• Upvote 1

I'd like a cute vest with a couple of inside zipper pockets and a pair or two of jeans that have pockets on the side of both legs for holding a few EDC items.  Right now I have a small pouch that I can hook to my belt loops if I don't want to have things in my pockets.