Survival Threads
thegouldii

Open Water......

Hey again to everyone here,

While I did weigh which Forum Topic to put this in,  * Moderators, feel free to move if need be.   :)

Thought I'd put it to the forum, looking at the various topics that can be discussed here, is there anyone else here that comes from a swimmers, or even perhaps (like myself) a Mil Scout Swimmers background?

Seen some of the topics talking about survival, preparedness etc, and having my back to a wall of water (beach) any talk of how I can best make use and benefit from it?

Cheers

I always found the oceans as a resource interesting, I am curious to see if anyone chimes in with some suggestions.

Water filtration/desalination is the obvious one, if the tides are crazy then possiby hydro-electric if you can rig something together, obviously fishing and gathering seafood is viable as well as whatever trash (bottles, plastic, containers etc.) gets washed up.

Hey thegouldii:

I would like to add to what Thomas has mentioned..

I have been around. The Sea offers up different fare depending on the location.

Kelp, Seaweed, Plants that only live near the Beach and tidal flats, Crabs, Urchins, Octopii, Fishing..

My big question is have you looked yet?  I feel you should be telling me what is there..

Rockier stuff yields different shellfish than less rocky. Shoal ? Reef? Kelp beds? Sand and only Sand?

Do You have a boat?

What is there? Think like a chef and You will certainly do better than thinking like a swimmer..

The big thing is fresh in any kitchen whether you deliver a load of razor clams, pompano, urchin, oyster, periwinkles, seaweed, beach mustard, octopus, crabs, seasquirt, tidal flat fennel, ocean perch, eel, snails, Frog Legs, whelk what have You..

May i suggest visiting a local seafood restaurant and get the inside scoop on what they will take in the back door fresh without questions. Money is tight and a good relationship with a few fine chefs can pay big dividends because people are trying new things and the big trend right now is daily fresh food shaping the menu whether it is railyard pigeon or back yard raised rabbits or urchin roe, or a variety of vegetal forms that only the Sea can offer us. Sashimi is big business.

If foraging is not your thing, perhaps a job cleaning barnacles off the hulls in boats in Florida. Check out law enforcement, towing companies, welding companies, salvage companies..as they have need of divers on the spot at times for retrieval and salvage for when the ocean and equipment have a dispute. Construction companies also need people for repairs.

Some places a dive shop can provide a nice living. Perhaps You can mention where You are in general terms and there are others here tied more closely to the Sea than i am that can provide some really good suggestions..Good Luck..

cheers

Hi Dan,

Firstly have I looked? Good - question, though in reply, the most I've ever looked at the ocean for was a means of either Infil / Exfil, or somewhere to get a workout. The survival means, I'll admit I'm a new-comer, but as for being a Prepper, out of habit, I still carry my grab-bag everywhere.

I'll admit to not owning a boat. If you ask any one that knows me, family and friends, I'm the worst when it comes to motion sickness, and the amount of times I volunteer to being dragged behind a Dive Boat in my PFd, well I've lost count.

:)

On 10/02/2017 at 1:29 AM, thegouldii said:

Hi Dan,

Firstly have I looked? Good - question, though in reply, the most I've ever looked at the ocean for was a means of either Infil / Exfil, or somewhere to get a workout. The survival means, I'll admit I'm a new-comer, but as for being a Prepper, out of habit, I still carry my grab-bag everywhere.

I'll admit to not owning a boat. If you ask any one that knows me, family and friends, I'm the worst when it comes to motion sickness, and the amount of times I volunteer to being dragged behind a Dive Boat in my PFd, well I've lost count.

:)

I hear you, I once went to Purbeck island by boat, go caught up in a mini-storm. I think I left part of my stomach lining somewhere there. :(

Love the sea, but never again. 

Woodcraft to make a boat even a skeleton frame it goods enough, the most precius are salts our body need it you could able to trade with others survivel in other area. There calsium from seashell, and there 3 kinds seashell use for medicine in chinese medicine you could able to collect and trade that seashell as medicine item. And there 2 kind seaweed as medicine item, purple seaweed have high natural Iodine need too by human body. Silics sand need for glass and mirror

Explore it find what kind resorces the beach and sea offer, not only for food, medicine, or precius mineral

Edited by Daimond25