Survival Threads

Very cool, I attempted the whole fishing thing once, went miserably. I have nothing but respect for those who stick it out and manage to make a success of it.

• Upvote 1

A paylaker, cool!  I've been c+r carping since about 2000 up here in Saskatchewan.  I don't use the palomar knot often, but I should, it's a great knot.  

On 2017-02-15 at 0:44 PM, West Virginia Ridge Walker said:

I love Fishing, Carp are My favorite.  articalewhole.thumb.jpg.7b52810387de3d8f73c67e63dface015.jpg

Since catching fish is one of the basic ancient survival skills it probably deserves more attention; everything from angling and jury-rigging tackle through how to construct fish traps and how to catch fish with your hands can come in handy if you ever need it.  While looking through photos of catalogued native artifacts I came across collections of little notched pebbles: primitive sinkers.magcover.thumb.jpg.92e2466bb631f844b3a7e8b524b45c26.jpg

1471308_550285498393235_1730557941_n.jpg.c2792a7e805d6c8ff7aefc01737fe7a0.jpg

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

I know zero about any of this, but I am now interested- those are monster fish, what do you do with them @West Virginia Ridge Walker ?

Well Carp in most  of the world are a food fish, BUT, In some countries the carp is Quickly becoming a sport fish in which is catch and release. You can Read more HERE  and HERE.  Here is on my most favorite carp baits, it works great at our paylakes and works well for wild water carp as well. Click HERE

I'm a knot junkie in both fishing and bushcraft. The one thing about cordage, it's absolutely useless without a knot. Tying knots is a skill that must be practiced till it becomes permanent. If you have a survival fishing kit and can't tie good strong knots your chances of landing fish is severely handicapped. BTW, the Palomar knot is easy to tie, strong, secure and is my go to knot for fishing...

Dom

• Upvote 1