Survival Threads
thegouldii

3D Print Builds, EDC....

Followed this thread (see below) and out of curiosity,  I did search within the Forum of '3D' with no results, which at first surprised me, but with that, am curious to know of any 3D print 'builds' that anyone has used successfully (and not blown up in your face or arms) ?

In the field of 'Improvised Weapons' is this an area, you think maybe growing in the future?

"On 6/29/2015 at 11:21 AM, ngjakedog said:

No one seems to mention guns in these threads.. Is that bad manners? 

Elise; Nope! Not bad manners at all! We're pro-gun but cannot carry since we're located in Toronto right now. 

On 6/29/2015 at 11:38 AM, Justin Pierce said:

I'm not qualified to speak for the forum owners, but I would assume gun discussions would be acceptable around here.

I Don't edc a gun, but I have nothing against doing so.  

Elise; Our sentiments exactly. 

see; 

2 hours ago, thegouldii said:

Followed this thread (see below) and out of curiosity,  I did search within the Forum of '3D' with no results, which at first surprised me, but with that, am curious to know of any 3D print 'builds' that anyone has used successfully (and not blown up in your face or arms) ?

In the field of 'Improvised Weapons' is this an area, you think maybe growing in the future?

Why would anyone who was not a convicted felon that was able to purchase a firearm legally risk manufacturing a firearm to massive legal ramifications meaning Prison time and felony charges ?

You are not talking about improvised weapons You are talking about the illegal manufacture of firearms.

This list was just down this road with a convicted felon and full retard who is no longer welcome here.

These suggestions are abhorrent and sick-minded to law abiding people who constitute the good folk on this list.

My suggestion to You would be to refrain from suggesting criminal or infantile behavior as it has no future here.

Well, aside from the legal issues, the products of 3D printing have major structural issues unless you are looking at very high end metal printing. Far cheaper to buy that used cooey 22 , and it's going to be safe to fire, even a second time. I'd have a hard time deciding if it was safer to try a 3D printed gun or one of the 55 year old "Paladin" toy hand guns. They fired plastic bullets using caps, and would chamber a 38 special round , with very bad results. That was also the reason they were dropped as a toy line. Cast pewter wasn't up to the stresses caused by a real round going off even if you weren't concerned with what the toy was pointed at.  In either case I wouldn't want to be nearby when it was tested.   As far as improvised weapons in general, ( snares, dead falls, pointy or piercing things ) they all have issues if used irresponsibly. Setting a snare line and abandoning it counts as a criminal act in most places and even if legal is morally very dubious. There is nothing wrong with a working knowledge, if you know what you need to catch rabbits you are less likely to build a bear trap and catch someone coming to help, or trap yourself. To quote the SAS manual "Dangle, strangle, mangle" , that's the idea for a successful trap, now picture being on the receiving end.

Some things are best left off of public forums. While I'd have no problem explaining just how deadly and challenging building an A bomb would be, that still might be enough for some determined fool to kill himself trying. The basics were common knowledge in the 1930s in the scientific community, only a few empirical measurements  needed to be made to turn the task into engineering. In some ways having an informed public would be great, but that assumes sanity and logic will over ride ideology and herd mentality, the track record isn't great.

• Upvote 1

Hi Dan, If I've over-stepped a mark, no problem, and my sincerist apologies to all those on the board that also feel the same way. In no way do I mean to bring this forum in to any disrepute.

No worries. My forgiveness is nothing.

It is about playing safe and making sure that the idea here remains to promote and support survival, and not to entertain ideas that are going to get anyone hurt or run afoul of the laws of man. There is no survival value in that, unless a hospital bed or jail cell is somebody's idea of a survival challenge.

cheers 

As @Dan Seven and @Gary_Gough  said, the legislative issues concerning 3D printing firearms are too ambiguous for us to delve into on a public forum, many websites exist dedicated to this but frankly, this is a hornets nest I am not willing to kick over, and thats just the legislative issues- when it comes to the safety of them and the liability of advising other people on how to print and assemble components that by design deal with significant kinetic energy as well as explosive force- 

No. Just no.

If you are interested in such a hobby, check out gunsmithing forums which will be slathered in disclaimers and advisories as well as be structured in a way to limit liability for the data provider (in survivalthreads case; me) should something go wrong. 

The problem with discussing things theoretically is that in this day and age, ISP's and governments don't take too kindly on ambiguous data presented neutrally- lets say we discuss home made "objects that go boom" because they could theoretically be useful should the SHTF- how long do you think it will take before I am dropped by my hosting provider as well as investigated by the authorities?

As they said, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. ;) Nothing personal @thegouldii . 

• Upvote 1