Survival Threads
kiwitransient

Stupid? cupid (archery)

So, any other arrow flingers here?

After a 2x year hiatus, I'm back into sticking arrows into targets (most of the time) again.

The question is, do you consider a Bow (long bow or Compound or even a cross bow) a viable option for a Survival situation?

I'm thinking along the lines of S.D. (you know what I mean) food gathering, signalling, throwing a line over a tree, exercise, or just fun.

Certainly quieter and arguably cheaper than high powered rifle with the ability to take anything from Fish, birds and rabbits, to elephants ! 

Possible and practical to use in a urban environment (even in backyard) without gaining too much (if any) attention from BIG brother.

Also easily (apart from size) to travel with. There are take down Bows and even arrows available to reduce bulk.

Modern arrows have many options for fletches (including L.E.D. nocks). Different heads for target, use in long grass (judo tips) and deadly efficient modular heads.

They have been around for thousands of years and modern equipment is extremely efficient and accurate.

Giggle "slingbow" for a very small package that can be devastating and FUN.  

Great for shooting an antenna into a tree too :)  . Story from a friend a few years ago, one of his neighbours heard two guys breaking into her shed at night, she picked up the bow beside her door and planted an arrow in the wood pile near them. They took off running and one clotheslined himself on her hammock running, then they drove off. Caught by the RCMP just down the road. The way I heard it the only delay was the RCMP laughing when she described the event.

• Upvote 3

Definitely a viable option. I don't have any yet but are on the list. Never fired a crossbow before but would get one first over a bow. Just guessing but I would assume accuracy would be better for a newbie on a crossbow than a bow? 

I used to love archery growing up, definitely a cool option and a great skill to have. I know @Elise has been interested in picking it up. Add to that the legislative advantages (legal to buy pretty much anywhere) and its a great hobby.

Rspreps, yes, a crossbow is easier to get instant,,consistent results with.

If you can shoot a  rifle, you can be successful with a cross bow.

Downside is they are more likely to be legislated against (& are) + VERY expensive for a good one.

Also, most Archery ranges will tell you to " have sex and travel" if you turn up with one.

My suggestion is you start of learning the Basics correctly from a qualified Archery instructor if practical, as " Bad" habits are hard to remove once Muscle Memory activates.

Instruction is cheap and will last a lifetime. Great fun to build your own custom arrows and cheaper.

The "Set Up" of Compound Bow if done correctly, can make the difference between sticking it in the Bull at 50 meters or sticking it in your foot. Literally..

Carbon shafts are the way to go now.. actually, generally cheaper and parts more available. Downside is they are likely to explode if shot into a tree. HINT, don't shoot at trees, the arrows don't like it and neither do the trees..

Big change in arrow composition in past 5x years. Having a hassle getting tip inserts for my alloy shafts now.

Lots of cheap second hand Compound bows on market with a height of approx. 31 inches. Price of average bow has come down a lot recently. Much shorter than Long bow or Recurve.

Club Members are always selling off bows to "upgrade" read, spend more $.

The big attraction of Compounds is the "Let Off" when Bow is fully drawn. The strain of draw, will drop off any where from 50% to 80% !

A 30 lb Bow (won't wreck your body) is a good weight to start with and work up to what you perceive to be required. Some of the BIG boys will spit a arrow out at 340 Feet per second with enough penetration to come out the other side of large game including Deer.

ALWAYS wear a Arm guard. A couple of string strikes to forearm will cause "flinch" for a long time. :S

Good fun for all the Family. Kids love it.

I used to be big into archery, mostly compounds.

All i have now is a crossbow i never use.

Archery is a difficult skill to master, if not impossible, while it is a great skill to TRY to learn, it's, like things like fencing, or being able to survive in the wilderness with only a dull knife, not something i would want to rely on. BUT, it might be the only option you have, so yeah, its a great idea to get a bow, a bunch of arrows, and practice.

The reason why i gave up on archery is that its a perishable skill, and degrades quicker than wet cardboard, and if i need to bug out, the bows, arrows, spare heads, and other equipment takes up a lot of room.

If you get into archery, check out bow fishing, i helps work on your snap shooting skills

NSFW video https://youtu.be/dFczIQlMo3o

Zackmars, I agree that my skills have degraded faster than wet cardboard O.o

However, after a couple of hours on Range, I was grouping tight(ish) again. Was more fault of the arrows stored in tube, not case, that caused Vanes to warp.

I feel the Major Pros for Archery are

1- exercise. Had quite a eye opener doing Club open day on W/E, where I was shocked to note that many Able Bodied Adults, could not even draw a 35 lb Bow. Just lack of muscle and flexibility.

2- Many Countries now have severe restrictions on Firearms and even knife possession. Bows are a way of getting around this as they are so quiet and often passed over as a serious option.

3- Reusable ammo.

4- Cheap fun for all the Family.

5- Great for teaching People about ballistics and energy curves. Much easier to see arrow being affected by wind and gravity than a bullet going down range.

Zack, just watched that Utube- Uni (versity) video. VERY funny.

Don't usually watch them as expensive Data time here.

But that was so funny, I darn near wet the sofa.

Great way to start the day.

Thanks.

Years ago I hunted big and small game with a bow, everything from deer to snapping turtles to birds and groundhogs, but it takes a LOT of practice, and shooting at paper targets at 20 meters isn't enough. You have to be able to judge various distances accurately. 

My bow of choice was either a recurve or a longbow, compounds are heavy and hard to bring on target quickly - you don't always have time to set up your shot. My method of shooting was like shotgunning: when you hit full draw you should be on target, just look at the target and release.

Personally, unless you are going to make your own strings and arrows, archery probably isn't practical for survival. No matter how careful you are, you are going to break and lose arrows. I never carried more than half a dozen arrows with me while hunting and some days I'd lose half of them. 

That said, Bingham projects still sells bow kits, arrow shafts, fletching tools, and string making jigs if you want to get REALLY heavily into it, to the point where you can hunt anything with a bow. 

I'm not accurate enough to bow hunt, but will sometimes go out with bow and arrow during the archery whitetail season to scout and practice.  For a few years I got an archery mule deer tag and had a lot of fun watching them at dawn and dusk (often up close) but never took a shot at one.   I think I should be able to hit something the size of a cigarette pack to hunt with it and can't do that consistently, but if one walked right by me that's another story.   Weight and bulk considerations mean it wouldn't be something to take in an emergency, necessarily, but if it was there already or no problem to take it could provide food.  There's no reason not to have the good old wrist rocket slingshot in your pack though.  I wonder if anyone has developed a shot capsule for the slingshot, so you could have a chance at wing-shooting with #8 or so?   

Edited by Rick

Interesting and thought provoking comments. Thanks.

Rick, you have got me thing about the #8 shotshell pellets .Maybe a Cup with shot inside, instead of the normal leather sling would work ?

I would be more inclined to experiment with a bolo type ammo. i.e.3x .30 calibre balls joined together by a string through hole drilled in pellets. This could be quite long to create a wide spread and make a larger diameter triangle to entrap wings/neck.

There have been Bird Arrows used for centuries with the Head being a "Y" or "U" shape with string or wire between. If accurately shot, the line will take down a bird in flight.

A blade instead of wire was used for slicing Rigging on boats to bring mast down.

Yes, Bows and Arrows are to a certain extent, retro. tech. however, they are so versatile. (and quiet)

With modern sight systems, also very accurate at 50 metres or more. I certainly wouldn't want to be standing in front of someone who I annoyed at 100 meters and saying "pluck yew" ( old archery joke)..

Giggle it for meaning..

I work in the old warehouse district near the centre of the city, and while walking my dog one spring I found an aluminum arrow with a judo point on it (stiff wires afixed so the arrow stands up after hitting the ground) beside the railway tracks next to our property.  I'm fairly certain someone lost it in the snow trying to shoot a jackrabbit during the winter.  Hardly worth the risk considering the assorted weapons charges if he'd been caught.