Jump to content
Survival Threads
Kaye :)

Lighter EDC ideas??

Recommended Posts

I've found no matter how hard I've tried my backpack/purse is too heavy for around town carrying.  SOOO....I'm gonna try even harder to go more lightweight so that I feel comfortable

carrying my bag in and out of stores, businesses, etc. I like the idea of having EDC on me at all times when I'm away from my house.  I'll be making a new Altoid Surivial Tin.  I'll most likely re do a backpack for my van so I'll get rid of the pressure to always carry ALL my stuff on me.  One thing I may do is organize my EDC supplies better so that it will be easier for me to restock.       ANY IDEAS or product ideas for lightening the load?

Thanks! :)

Edited by Kaye :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A small multitool,  a small flashlight, a good firesteel, a surplus p38 can opener, and 6 to 8 feet of paracord as a braided fob on your Keychain is a pretty good starting point.

Add a good folding knife and another flashlight in pocket or purse, and some booboo first aid items in the tin, and you ßhould be covered to get back to the big kit in the van:)

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carry ONLY what you know you are going to use, period. Leave everything else in your vehicle or at home. And don't panic, you'll survive without all the stuff you've gotten so accustomed to carrying.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Given the laws here in Australia when it comes to the stuff I 'want' to carry, I've simply gone back to my 'grab-bag' for a most of my stuff (be it in my car / home) that I can simply pick up when I need it and be on the move.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2017 at 2:47 PM, Smithy66 said:

What do you want/need to carry?  

Hmmmm....good question.  As paranoid as it may sound I'd like to carry enough EDC survival stuff so that if I were to be stranded somewhere I could make do for a couple of days.  As I think about this (even as I type) I realize that most of the EDC that would be sustaining for a couple of days should be kept in my vehicle.  If I were to carry everything I "THINK" I need I would be loaded down with 50 lbs.

Tomorrow, I'm going to mentally walk through a weeks worth of normal 'ish days and figure out what is really useful instead of picturing what MIGHT happen.  I'll still carry a lighter, multi-tool and small flashlight on me no matter what though...and a large trash bag....

 

 

Edited by Kaye :)
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Kaye :) said:

I'm going to mentally walk through a weeks worth of normal 'ish days and figure out what is really useful

And that's what you have to do for yourself. Don't look at photos of other peoples EDC and think that's what you need. Everybody's needs are different. Figure out what YOU use on a daily basis, and formulate what YOU need. That should be your base EDC. The base EDC is what you'll carry no matter what. It should be compact, easily deployed ( for the lack of a better word ), and of good quality.
For instance, my base EDC consists of a small knife, a flashlight, and a small multi tool with good scissors. Out of everything I carry, these are the things I'll most likely use sometime throughout the day, and hence, need to carry. The model and manufacturer of these tools is purely individual and based on individual needs and preference. But it has to be what works for YOU.
Once you've established what you ACTUALLY need, go from there. Next should be the things that you don't use on a daily basis but have come in handy from time to time. For instance, I've found for myself that a small pry tool has come in handy, it keeps me from possibly ruining a knife blade by using it as a pry tool. Nothing is worse that chipping a blades cutting edge, or breaking a blades tip. I may never use that pry tool for a week or two, but when I need it it was well worth the addition to my base EDC.
A lighter is always a good idea, but unless you are a smoker, chances are you'll go for weeks, maybe months, or even longer without using it. Well, that is unless you like to light cigarettes for other people. But on a daily basis, for a trip to the mall or a grocery store, or even a day at work, why do you need it? Or a firesteel? It's not like you're on a wilderness trek and will need something to start a campfire. Or bugging out where the likelyhood of starting a fire is immenent. I mean we're in civilized society, where the rule of law is established, with fire and essential services ( ambulance and hospitals ) up and running, and retail and transportation services are flowing at normal rates... do you really need the ability to build a fire for survival? I mean these things don't stop suddenly, without a prewarning that allows you to get prepared and to add fire making essentials to your kit. I'm a smoker, so I always have a lighter on me, but have NEVER used my lighter for anything else but lighting my smokes, or an occasional recreational fire. I think that in reality, carrying firesteels and lighters has become the 'thing to do' more than it has a place in reality of what is needed for daily carry. I'm NOT saying not to have one available, keep it in the kit you have in your car. But do you really need to carry it on you for walking around in the mall or grocery shopping? Unless you're a smoker, no. Leave it in the car and lighten up................ And Altoid Tin Survival Kits, don't get me started on that. Its all these little things that add to the size and weight of your daily carry. Look into your purse, at each individual item, then ask yourself what the likely hood of you using any of these items are for that day, or for the next several days.
I guess what I'm saying in all my rambling is that you really have to think these things thru... Perhaps the best way is to ask yourself this question "If I had only what I NEED on me today, what would I have?" Then everything else, leave at home or in your car.

Edited by PappyHiker
spelling, punctuation, grammer...
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kaye why the trash bag, are you going to fill it with items you might need?:D I don't carry a lighter, there is one in the altoid/tobacco tin, and it's wrapped with a couple of feet of duct tape. I don't carry the tin, there's still a bit more to fit in there, like first aid stuff. Any suggestions?

 

I see Nokia are bringing back an old favourite https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/nokia-3310-iconic-mobile-returns-163000027.html I wonder would it survive an EMP in the altoids tin?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Saw the Nokia 3310 bring back as well, though itwon't do any good here in Australia, as the 3310 runs a '2G' network, which has since been shut down here (witht the move to 3 or 4G' networks)......

Damn shame, I remember the phone - solid.

If it would survice the EMP, I wouldn't hold my breath, unless you're securing items in your faraday tin - though on that note, see this; https://www.quora.com/Does-a-faraday-cage-protect-a-device-against-any-EMP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, thegouldii said:

Saw the Nokia 3310 bring back as well, though itwon't do any good here in Australia, as the 3310 runs a '2G' network, which has since been shut down here (witht the move to 3 or 4G' networks)......

Damn shame, I remember the phone - solid.

If it would survice the EMP, I wouldn't hold my breath, unless you're securing items in your faraday tin - though on that note, see this; https://www.quora.com/Does-a-faraday-cage-protect-a-device-against-any-EMP

Faraday cages and EMP protection is allot like "waterproof". Is the water a shallow ford or 1,000 meters of north Atlantic? Where it's prudent to keep the GPS and HT in a zip lock bag in your pack, it's likely going to fail if they sink 100 meters ( then again so are you so the point is a bit moot ). Shielding can also be done with working equipment, feed through points with built in capacitors, ferrites and thyristors to allow power and signals but block damaging pulses. It works very well, but not going to survive a direct lightning strike. Scrapping old mil-spec stuff and you'll see lots of that, or in commercial broadcast gear.

I've trouble shot transmitter sites that did take lightning strikes, and most of the equipment was fine, also repaired a bunch of consumer grade electronics that was within 10 meters of a lightning strike last year, all repairable, but a couple of items ( eithernet router, WAN modem ) were too damaged to be economical to fix. The transmitters all take lightning strikes so some thought is put toward shielding. Some things you can't do much about , the 10 cm of arced away sheet metal siding around the phone line entrance is a good hint why the phones never work. Replacing the sand pile of a hill the site was built on isn't going to get past accounting :P

Side note and entirely subjective, but I've been beside a piece of gear that exploded during a lightning strike and heard nothing. I'm suspicious that the pulse suspended my own awareness for a short time. Don't know if anyone has done a study on this though.  The transition from intact to scattered parts was all I noticed.

I keep a couple of spare cell phones stashed , a 2G and a 4G , expired but unlocked and with charged batteries. The emergency numbers still work and either can be activated depending on what the country standard is when travelling. ( in an anti static bag, in a zip lock ) No stored info, not locked, not much for homeland security to chew over.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2017 at 8:50 AM, PappyHiker said:

 Leave it in the car and lighten up................ And Altoid Tin Survival Kits, don't get me started on that. Its all these little things that add to the size and weight of your daily carry. Look into your purse, at each individual item, then ask yourself what the likely hood of you using any of these items are for that day, or for the next several days.
I guess what I'm saying in all my rambling is that you really have to think these things thru... Perhaps the best way is to ask yourself this question "If I had only what I NEED on me today, what would I have?" Then everything else, leave at home or in your car.

ALL good advice.  THANKS!  I do need to lighten up...not just on the weight of EDC, but mentally as well.  It's funny you would write what you did--a few days ago I asked myself why I carried a lighter because not once have I ever needed to build a fire for warmth.  Ha. Honestly, though I'll still carry a mini Bic...just because. Thanks again!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/27/2017 at 11:26 AM, Smithy66 said:

Kaye why the trash bag, are you going to fill it with items you might need?:D I don't carry a lighter, there is one in the altoid/tobacco tin, and it's wrapped with a couple of feet of duct tape. I don't carry the tin, there's still a bit more to fit in there, like first aid stuff. Any suggestions?

 

I see Nokia are bringing back an old favourite https://uk.yahoo.com/finance/news/nokia-3310-iconic-mobile-returns-163000027.html I wonder would it survive an EMP in the altoids tin?

Ha!  I probably could fill a trash bag with the things I "think" I need.  Were you asking me what I would suggest in your Altoid tin? I would carry a bit of medication--Tylenol, Advil and tummy medicine. Two or three regular sized bandaids are handy and maybe an antiseptic wipe.  The kit I carry in my purse has a lighter, but I guess for now I can use it to light birthday candles. :)

The New/Old Nokia is nice.  Hmmm....nah.  Probably wouldn't survive in the Altoids tin?

Edited by Kaye :)
  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you like a flashlight that doesn't mass much or occupy large spaces. the Thrunite Ti is about little finger sized and with a 10440 Li-ion battery it is tac-light intensity on high. I have it on my keyring. About $40. Or if you don't mind a little dimmer, disposable battery only but $3 .. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Super-Bright-Mini-Penlight-CREE-XPE-R3-Q5-LED-1000-Lumens-Lamp-Clip-Flashlight-Torch-AAA/32736549245.html

Ignore the specified power, light output etc. the numbers are impossible and probably are a translation error ( being charitable )

Fire, mini BICs are keyfob size and I'd suggest there are lots of uses for fire other then camping. Try holding a nylon cord over a lighter some time, no frayed ends. Only thing is putting a little tension on it while heating and then holding until the melted ends cool ( be ready to blow them out if you let the cord catch fire ) Pocket version of having a soldering gun to cut cordage.

Oh and an alternative to the larger GPS units. This doesn't make maps and only stores 16 locations, but it does tell you where you are, how fast you're going, altitude, time, and distance and bearing to stored locations. Not bad for $30. Charges off a USB port, so same power bank as the phone spare.

As you can see the keys are a major weight item for me.

IMG_3675crsm.JPG.953e18cf6b2b0a892694b435642287a0.JPG

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2017 at 0:13 PM, Gary_Gough said:

If you like a flashlight that doesn't mass much or occupy large spaces. the Thrunite Ti is about little finger sized and with a 10440 Li-ion battery it is tac-light intensity on high. I have it on my keyring. About $40. Or if you don't mind a little dimmer, disposable battery only but $3 .. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Super-Bright-Mini-Penlight-CREE-XPE-R3-Q5-LED-1000-Lumens-Lamp-Clip-Flashlight-Torch-AAA/32736549245.html

Ignore the specified power, light output etc. the numbers are impossible and probably are a translation error ( being charitable )

Fire, mini BICs are keyfob size and I'd suggest there are lots of uses for fire other then camping. Try holding a nylon cord over a lighter some time, no frayed ends. Only thing is putting a little tension on it while heating and then holding until the melted ends cool ( be ready to blow them out if you let the cord catch fire ) Pocket version of having a soldering gun to cut cordage.

Oh and an alternative to the larger GPS units. This doesn't make maps and only stores 16 locations, but it does tell you where you are, how fast you're going, altitude, time, and distance and bearing to stored locations. Not bad for $30. Charges off a USB port, so same power bank as the phone spare.

As you can see the keys are a major weight item for me.

IMG_3675crsm.JPG.953e18cf6b2b0a892694b435642287a0.JPG

Thats a small lil' tyke. Does it ever have issues with the connectors getting knocked loose? I have an o-light with that problem if I EDC it. :( 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 03/03/2017 at 4:14 AM, Kaye :) said:

Ha!  I probably could fill a trash bag with the things I "think" I need.  Were you asking me what I would suggest in your Altoid tin? I would carry a bit of medication--Tylenol, Advil and tummy medicine. Two or three regular sized bandaids are handy and maybe an antiseptic wipe.  The kit I carry in my purse has a lighter, but I guess for now I can use it to light birthday candles. :)

The New/Old Nokia is nice.  Hmmm....nah.  Probably wouldn't survive in the Altoids tin?

Im actually looking forward to getting that "new" Nokia. A nice upgrade from my backup Nokia 500 series. :) 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Thomas said:

Thats a small lil' tyke. Does it ever have issues with the connectors getting knocked loose? I have an o-light with that problem if I EDC it. :( 

Well, after carrying it for about a year and a half, I've had it accidentally turn on a couple of times ( it's a tighten to turn on design) but has yet to fall apart in pocket as I feared. Recharged the 10440 Li-ion cell about 3 times and that's been it.

I've ordered a couple of those cheap lights to try out. I'll probably see if I can release the smoke from at least one with a 10440, but if you aren't into recharging batteries it looks to be a nice choice and I do like tail switches on principle. Since both ends come off, there is the option of driving an over discharged split swollen alkaline battery out with a steel rod and hammer ( I've had to to that to a couple of Fenix lights ) and then sanding out the corrosion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×