Survival Threads
feral_hobbit

Sling bag/ one strap back pack recommendations?

6 hours ago, feral_hobbit said:

Anyone have any experience or recommendations on a less expensive edc single strap backpack?

If you search on amazon for "sling bag" then you should be able to find something maybe.

• Upvote 1

Couple of options

STA71883sm.JPG.524a1a4ee9cfb709e69a32429e7826de.JPG

Courier bag, Holds this L520 and gizmos just fine.  $17 Princess Auto

STA71884sm.JPG.f597a14bbcd740dc37d463de5a558510.JPG

Or a German army map case, Leather

STA71885sm.thumb.JPG.245d972a666b6fc755310df33b86cb18.JPG

Which only takes an ultra-book and cables, drives etc. About the same price at the Seattle Army and Navy surplus store.

STA71886sm.JPG.925af02650746bbeb0d31d0befe36a9c.JPG

• Upvote 1

I got a one-strap backpack out of lost and found and it looked good, (lots of padding, wide strap) but at the time I was biking and it kept sliding down so it's somewhere in the basement.  I like the look of Ridge Walker's military style bag, and though it seems a bit costy, it probably isn't going to wear out.  Why do you not want a conventional backpack?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Rick said:

I got a one-strap backpack out of lost and found and it looked good, (lots of padding, wide strap) but at the time I was biking and it kept sliding down so it's somewhere in the basement.  I like the look of Ridge Walker's military style bag, and though it seems a bit costy, it probably isn't going to wear out.  Why do you not want a conventional backpack?

Actually a standard small duffel can work if packed and set right. Hitched from southern Mexico to Canada with one about 18" long and 12" diameter. Strap over my left shoulder and across to my right side, with the bag across my back. Did a few 10 to 20 km walks like that Also carried a sleeping bag and machete with a rope through the bundle the same way. Just need to put cloths were they act as padding and tighten the strap enough to keep it from bouncing. 

I've never used a sling backpack. Was just curious if anyone had any experience with them. I've carried a messenger style bag for years and thought the one strap back pack might work for a light EDC load. I suspected it might slide around to the bottom. Just wanted to toss the question out before I spent any money on one.

@feral_hobbit   Nothing wrong with a single strap..of course billion plus women do a light EDC load with this method.

For guys, it seems we have to play in different design territory. The other day i was accused of carrying a purse.

It was a heavy leather italian document folio i was using to carry a laptop to work with. No strap at all.

I have used a messenger bag and still have one. They flop around a lot. They are a bag. Not so much a satchel.

Duffles are bags too and a small duffle with a single strap is surprisingly versatile. A 10 inch wide 9 1/2 will carry a water bottle, lunch, binoculars, a snack, a blade and flashlight and little things, and outer pockets for a cell/power pack or gps.

@Gary_Gough mentioned they are versatile and they are. The one big pocket to rummage around in and they are zip cushion fool of goodies and lived in jock world locker rooms and battleships and barracks long enough not to be confused with a purse. Daytimers and weekenders, as well as enough gear to go to war with sizes. Stuffed a 14 foot teepee in one.

Downside is that shops and cops and bars don't like em. One zip open sawed off shotgun shoplifting accessories.

Be prepared to hand over your jock bag, while the office crowd keeps their briefcases and purses for that after work drink.

Same with backpacks. They still let them on buses, though. That is nice. But for how long? The lady with that screaming kid will probably get a special permit to have that diaper bag while the rest of us are weaned down to cocktail purses.

That is our world now. Safety conscious means scared shitless. The world has been forced to admit it wants control back when it's terrified -by people who are trying to commoditize control even if they have to make fear the currency for it. As long as You buy their brand, they will start a war if they have to to keep it. The merchandising potential is endless. AR or AK ?

One nice thing about a duffle is that if you wrap the strap once around the center handles (I use a carabiner) You have an instant back pack, and if it is a big one, the d rings on the ends will double to affix a belly belt to keep it stable.

Speaking of belly belts, the fanny pack is very underrated. Throw a shirt over it, you can wear it almost anywhere. Pouch of tobacco, rolling papers, a flask, wallet, keys, lighter, change, chapstick a Gerber and a bandanna is what my brother always seemed to have in his.

Then there are satchels. Square jawed thugs are about the only kind a guy can carry without derision and ridicule.Think Harley Saddlebag.

You would not get a second look in some places with a satchel, true..but i would not show up at a Trump Rally with one.

cheers