Survival Threads
Thomas

Found my first knife "mod" in my Grandmothers house

I thought this was pretty interesting, I made this when I was 14 or something like that so please be gentle with the mocking. Fit and finish needs work ;)

Basically it was the blade of a broken bowie (rat tail tang, broke when I pushed it too hard). I covered half of the blade with epoxy, did a cord wrap, ground some steel off using a dremel and some sandpaper and the result was a sexy (in my opinion) lil' persian shank.

Oh and the sheath is 3 pieces of leather wrapped in duct tape.

IMG_20170327_095435276_HDR.jpg.3da773bdfb85134106649596bb0994d6.jpgIMG_20170327_095404762.jpg.22bfe02738533aaa95be6cabe619a84d.jpgIMG_20170327_095321283.jpg.c96f347ee440dd74ffcafc6c00a0706b.jpg

Give it to me straight fella's, do I have a future in this? ;) 

edit: Oh and do I need to mention that cool lil notch at the base? For cutting cordage- actually works halfway decently. 

• Upvote 3

Looks perfectly serviceable to me :) Could probably guest on a Red Green episode on sheath construction, but have to say what I built 50 years ago was similar ( Hockey tape, brass nails driven into pine as solder points --- hand carved electronics ). The point is how well it works for you.

• Upvote 2

33 minutes ago, Dan Seven said:

@Thomas   Did your Grandmother approve?  Make you peel taters with it?

:/

Haha, I think my grandmother is pretty cool with the knife and prepper stuff. She thinks i'm too paranoid but its nothing but love.

Saw her yesterday and she informed @Elise about the time I damaged the front door lock because I was too aggressive when lockpicking it.

16 years later, nothing much has changed. ;) 

7 hours ago, dthomasdigital said:

Nice to know @Thomas that your knife obsession has been around a long time. :) 

Red Green, love that show.

Yes, its obvious I have always had deep seated issues. ;) 

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, Gary_Gough said:

Looks perfectly serviceable to me :) Could probably guest on a Red Green episode on sheath construction, but have to say what I built 50 years ago was similar ( Hockey tape, brass nails driven into pine as solder points --- hand carved electronics ). The point is how well it works for you.

Well, never actually used it for much. Looks cool and thats about it- no idea what the steel is or if its even well heat treated but I guess I can take it out and let it stretch its wings!

Do you still have that knife from 50 years ago?

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Rick said:

That looks like it would be a good skinning knife.

Aye, except for the "handle" being a bit too thin. But the blade shape is nice- wouldn't mind designing a knife outright with similar styling and having it produced.

• Upvote 1

On 31/03/2017 at 2:53 PM, dthomasdigital said:

Nice to know @Thomas that your knife obsession has been around a long time. :) 

Red Green, love that show.

Me too. I used to watch Red Green as a kid and my mom would walk in and be like, "You like this show? It's so stupid!" Not stupid. Hilarious. And awesome :)

I've never known a single person "in person" who's seen/watched Red Green, though. Definitely under-appreciated ! So glad to have enough Canuks on here to have seen it be mentioned ;) I don't think anyone outside of Canada's got a chance at knowing what it is.

15 minutes ago, Wyzyrd said:

Years ago, Red Green was on late Saturday nights on some PBS stations in the US. Great show :)

Interesting!! Yeah it is :)

30 minutes ago, Thomas said:

As a Brit I don't get any of these references.

:(

#foreveralone 

Well, just keep your stick on the ice and you'll be ok. :)

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dthomasdigital said:

As a yank I have never felt more like we all get each other than I do right now! This place rules.

As a Brit I am outraged by all this non-BBC content. New rule, all witticism and humour must be syndicated from British television. 

>:(

• Upvote 1

Well,

3 hours ago, Thomas said:

As a Brit I am outraged by all this non-BBC content. New rule, all witticism and humour must be syndicated from British television. 

>:(

Well considering the first Monty Python episode was Whither Canada, I think we can go some way towards that.

• Upvote 2

The truth had to suffer at times; Hap's character is probably my favourite.

Hap: Of course when I was a logger I gained quite a reputation for my work, most of it in the Sahara...

Red: The Sahara Desert?

Hap: Oh, that's what they call it now...

Edited by Rick
  • Upvote 1

A back Story is that this actor Gordon Pinsent is the real life Father in Law of Ranger Gord, (Peter Keleghan) married to his daughter Leah, a successful actress in her own right. An interesting documentary of the life and role of the immigrant was done by Peter. Immigrants are what make our Countries great...especially America.