Survival Threads
PappyHiker

KA-BAR 'ZK KHARON TANTO'

KA-BAR 02-5698 ZK KHARON TANTO. $14.03 at Wal Mart. Just got a couple of days ago. Haven't spent allot of time with it, but my initial impressions........
AUS 8A steel.
Tanto blades are made for stabbing, sooooo. I think this may not be the knife you want if that's the case. The grips are kind of grippy and provide a little traction. However, not an adequate finger choil ( hardly one at all ) to help keep your hand from sliding forward during a stab. Can almost see a hand full of blade......... Overall, be cautious if you plan on stabbing any Zombies.
The pocket clip is weak. Can see it coming out of ones pocket very easily. It can go left tip up carry too.
It does have stainless steel liners to give it a little strength. 
The lockback is solid, no play at this point. Blade centered nicely. NO lanyard hole for those of you that could see a neon green paracord and hardware tail.
Opens and closes non-assited very easily with the thumb stud.
Overall pretty solid for a knife in this price range. I have no regrets buying it. Not sure how much carry time it will get.
Made in Taiwan.

IMG_9558.JPG

IMG_9562.JPG

Edited by PappyHiker
added to review.
  • Upvote 1

Well, for that price, how bad can it be?

Would have to be real crap, not to be a good buy for tossing in even as a beater.

Like your little Easel knife stand. Very cool.

Getting quite a collection of knives there Pappy.

4 hours ago, kiwitransient said:

Well, for that price, how bad can it be?

Would have to be real crap, not to be a good buy for tossing in even as a beater.

Like your little Easel knife stand. Very cool.

Getting quite a collection of knives there Pappy.

It's not bad, just not great. But I didn't expect it to be for what I paid. The original price was appx. $25. I'd not have bought it at that price and would have bought the Ontario RAT 1 instead. But I'm thinking occasional carry just to make it last longer. Almost sure a daily beating of this knife will surely end it's cutting career short. Light to moderate ( at best ) use is what this knife is made for. Had the KA BAR Dozier for a while. Gave it away to a coworker who liked it. But the build quality was the same.
Thanx on the easel.
But my knife collection is rather large. I just split up 186 Case knives I've been collecting for decades between my 3 sons. All of them were collectable pieces, limited editions, but full useable Case quality. That leaves me with around 70 knives. Guess I'm kind of a knife junkie. Have been for many many years.

Edited by PappyHiker
added text

Sub $15? Jeez. You American's get all the fun. :( Never owned an American tanto with such a "stabbing bias" profile- how does it work out in day to day use?

10 hours ago, Thomas said:

Sub $15? Jeez. You American's get all the fun. :( Never owned an American tanto with such a "stabbing bias" profile- how does it work out in day to day use?

Really haven't had the chance to really put it thru the mill yet. But the time is coming.