Survival Threads
dthomasdigital

Don't forget the Pets they need a Bug out Bag too.

I was told a long time ago from a veterinarian friend of mine to introduce new foods to your pets gradually as it may cause all kinds of issues.  So just like the rest of the family our pets have a Bug out Bag just for them. We have some mighty big fires around here and the last thing I want to do is round up everything at the last second and wrangling 2 cats and a dog while a fire evacuation is going on does not sound like fun to me. So every six months I break out the Food Saver and rotate roughly 2 weeks worth of the food they eat every day, plus the "treats" they like. In the event of a bug out situation they will be stressed enough at least they will have the food they are use to and that might reduce my stress in that type of situation too. Also in their bug out bag I have specialized 1st aid kit based around dog and cat first aid needs. 

IMG_0117.JPG

• Upvote 2

Need to get back to storing kibble in our BOV, use to keep a 2-lb plastic butter dish of food for the dogs but used it one day on a long day-trip and never replaced it. It was only like 2 days of food for them though. Luckily, I suppose, they're no stranger to people food.

We do keep a copy of our dogs vaccination records and county dog licenses in our BOB, might help keep our 'family' together if dealing with gov't officials or if needing to use public transportation for evacuation during a bugout I figure. I get them vaccinated against kennel cough each year as well since it's usually a requirement for sheltering them in private kennels anyway. Not that this is part of our plans, but "just in case" stuff. State law here is that unlicensed dogs are a public nuisance per se.

A couple "stupid pet tricks" I've taught our last three dogs, and need to train our new puppy on, is coming to two beeps of our truck horns and drinking out of squirt bottles, water hoses, and from faucets or well hand pumps. Our home is surrounded by Nat. Forest and that's their (and our) playground, it's nice to be able to hit the panic button on the truck keyfob and let it honk twice, and have the dogs come running from where ever they happen to be exploring. Never needed to, but figured it's a nice trick if they ever get lost too - easier than yelling for them out the truck window and the sound carries further. Drinking from squirt bottles is just convenient since we always keep full ones in our trucks, and don't have to bring a water bowl for them on long hikes (we have dedicated ones for them, and just refill them from streams/lakes as needed). Drinking from a hand pump for the same reasons basically as we have one plus they're common at public camp sites, I pump and they drink - haven't been able to teach them to return the favor however lol. Last few dogs were easy to teach, they learned it from watching the older ones mostly. Anyway, nothing too impressive but everyone likes to brag a little about their furry companions.

What type(s) of specialized first-aid gear do you have for your pets dthomasdigital? I added a safety razor for shaving off fur around an injury if needed, but really nothing else specific to their needs.

2 hours ago, Walter said:

We do keep a copy of our dogs vaccination records and county dog licenses in our BOB, might help keep our 'family' together if dealing with gov't officials or if needing to use public transportation for evacuation during a bugout I figure. 

What type(s) of specialized first-aid gear do you have for your pets dthomasdigital? I added a safety razor for shaving off fur around an injury if needed, but really nothing else specific to their needs.

Great idea on the vaccination records and licenses. I have of course food, dog/cat leashes, first aid for dog and cat book, first aid dog and cat kit (I'll do a break down soon), their favorite treats, and bowls. Need to look into the Comsun Collapsible Dog Bowl  @West Virginia Ridge Walker talked about, he did a great review of the it. Now I need to add your idea about the vaccination records and licenses. 

That's what I like about you folks always getting new ideas to make my stuff better.

• Upvote 1

Hi everyone, Great thread I want to add to because this topic is one of the most popular on my web site.

Most of you on this site know what a bug-out bag is but maybe newbies don't yet so for those of you who haven't heard of a Bug-out bag, it is a carry bag, backpack or in a dog's case, saddlebag that you pack with emergency survival gear to last a certain amount of time, 24 hours, 48 hours, 72 hours. 

It's also called a go-bag, ready pack, grab-bag or 72 hour pack and it is meant to be hold what you need to survive in the event of a disaster or emergency or if you are away from basic needs for extended amounts of time. The basic needs to survive are food, water, first aid but other items can make the journey or stay much more enjoyable or productive and safe. 

Such as a simple fish hook and line can feed you for days and long after the food in the Bug-out bag runs out. 

While doing Search and Rescue work we were required to carry at all times a 72 hour backpack or bug-out bags no matter what we were engaged in or how many other people were with us, we each had to be able to take care of and provide for ourselves.

In an actually disaster or emergency, you will too, each of us will have to take care of ourselves for a little while until help arrives.

Help can be minutes or days away depending on the situation and location. Or may not arrive at all.

Here is a Go-bag or Bug-out list that is made up from items I actually used during search incidents and also includes what is recommended by FEMA and other agencies. ( I was a Bloodhound Handler, SAR member and Search dog trainer for emergency management for 15 years)

Each person and pet should have a bag of it's own.

One of the first things I realized when I started writing the family disaster dog lessons was that most dogs could carry some of our survival gear or extra first aid supplies or food along with their own pet supplies. 

Then I wondered why didn't somebody else think of this :) Why didn't my Bloodhound carry my 72 hour bag way back then, oh the backache I could of saved myself today !

I actually fitted Daisy and Willie up with bags as we wrote the first article and they both loved being so much help, they got excited and wanted to wear the bags everywhere. 

Go here to get the whole list and article, it is to long to post  Family Disaster Dogs Bug-Out Bag List

My Bloodhound weighs 110 lbs and even as an older dog she can carry a lot of supplies, even a frying pan ! see pic below and I put dog food in empty water bottles then tie those on the bag to save space. Just like packing a mule, the natives used dogs to move with the seasons and we may have to one day too. My Boston Terrier mix was very proud to have a bug out bag too ! That's Willie G Dawg

Be safe and prepare !

We never know what tomorrow will bring...

amber

IMG_20160218_115437456.jpg

small-daisy-bag.jpg

100_0951.JPG

• Upvote 3

Thank you and that's good idea to keep a litter box for the cats too ! Especially something to think about if sheltering in in place with cats for unknown amount of time and dogs for that matter too. Where will we put the poop if we have to shelter in place inside for weeks ?

Cats can learn to bug out too. Cats can learn to carry a little bug out bag and walk on a leash or follow :) and some can learn to hitch a ride in a big dog's bug-out bag too. Cats are smart I've learned much from cats and if not trapped inside during chaos they disappear because they bug-out way ahead of us...cats like other animals know when weather changes bad or other danger is near and they usually don't stick around like dogs do who are more dependent on us

@Thomas @dthomasdigital

• Upvote 1