Survival Threads
KCM

How to Prepare for Increasing Lawlessness

Man!  Watching trends in the news over time makes me wonder if prepping for lawlessness should be my highest priority.  It would encompass many skills.  How can we best tailor preps to our unique environment and then prepare for daily life?

• Upvote 1

The best way is not to buy into the fear mongering bullshit. When was the last time the news talked consistently about the reassurance of what the community was doing to better itself despite the circumstances of Life ?

Instead we get fed a diet of demoralizing bullshit as though despite our best efforts the circumstances of life are ascertained to be fatal and unwinable That is not how to live.

It is beyond our pay grade to know the secrets of immortality and the divine plan. Rest assured that if any one of us passes from here, that life will go on for everyone else. We have seen and lamented this enough times to know that this is true.

What we should get from that is that it is time to act bigger than what we think we are in the sense that our deeds here are all that matter and if confronted by a harsh reality it is our chance to be a human being and overcome the circumstances and not resort to harmful base instinct.

Truth is that we are more than animals and the weaponization of our consciousness amounts to a moral sin. It is time to put down the sword and figure this out real quick if we still think there is a chance we can care about each other and this world. Otherwise we can join the others that believe that another wound will not matter because we are too far gone to fix ourselves or each other and just roll over and be the cowards that the news media and president are trying to sell us that we are so they can screw us to death and leave it at that...

We have the choice, and fighting does not mean hurting each other unless we do not know that the difference between war and peace is the difference between good and evil. If we haven't got that far we may as well give up anyways..

The violence we see in this world is 99.9% a reaction to getting screwed over by other people and it is time to f'ing stop the cycle..or give in to our inner coward, buy a gun and join the others in hell who thought "Thou shalt not Kill"  came with conditions like " unless for a good reason" or 'unless you are being threatened'..or 'unless your wife or family are threatened'  or 'unless george bush senior's stock in halliburton needs a boost and you go to iraq and call it your career..'      We have a choice and a brain and it is time to use em...

my 2 cents..

Happy Mother's Day..see below..

50s-Meme-Weiner.jpg

• Upvote 1

Man!  I wish I could talk faith issues here.  We should talk on the side.  BTW, Greek or Hebrew translations say, "Thou shall not murder" and "thou shall not steal."

Good points, Dan.  I sense you agree that prepping for lawlessness might be something to consider?  We can't all move to Montana.

Breaking the cycle is all good until a tresspasser breaks into your home to rob your family or worse.   Or, when a street violence results in the innocent death of an 8 year old.  I think one of the best book series that reflects our future is depicted in "The Days of Noah" by Mark Goodwin.  Nice folks want to mind their own business.  I want to mind my own business.  But, try to harm one of my girls and I will turn into a sheepdog in a heartbeat.  Won't you?

There are 1,350 gangs in L.A. alone.  33,000 in the USA.  Add more radicalized people and desperate, hungry folks and it could get really scary for nice people.  The trends are all going the wrong way.  At least it would seem.  I'm 63 yrs old.  Been around the world.  She ain't the world I grew up in by far.  Lawlessness is on the rise.  We can't police our own streets, much less the whole world.  So, what can we do to minimize harm?

Good discussion!

@KCM  

Watch out for the fear mongering bullshit..bullshit is at an all time high...homicides are at a 51 year low..in the USA

Yeah..the world is not safe for itself yet, however the trends are going the right way, contrary to the impression the media gives.

homicide_51yr.jpg

@kcm  Also..there are fewer deaths caused by wars. The world sees fewer deaths in battle now since the Korean War and it is dropping...up to us individually to keep dropping violence from our human repertoire..

battle deaths.png

Not in Chicago!  And much because of concealed carry programs.

Stats are good for general information.  In 1963 I was 10 years old.  I could play outside in a subdivision until dark with no fear of harm.  I have a 13 year old daughter.  I would never let her play outside alone without a trusted older child or adult around, nowadays.  So many sick crimes don't result in homicide.  I substitute teach in our rural school.  Every year, the disrespect level and bad behavior gets worse.  It's not the number of children per hpusehold.  It's the number of kids living in dysfuctional households.  We are losing "family" in the richer countries.  For the most part, the kids from ranch backgrounds with two parents have some manners.  The many hispanic kids (many from illegal entry) parents are generally better behaved and even dressed than the caucasian kids with broken homes and on welfare...

Can you imagine how much higher the "volume" is in Chicago, Cleveland, or Dallas?

Are you watching how police are backing out of tough neighborhoods because of the fake news coverage?  I'm glad we can record video to substantiate facts,  But, to many, it's become more important to "tape" than to jump in the water and help with a rescue.

• Upvote 1

Glad there are fewer deaths by wars.  Now, if we can just get the Somali pirates under control.  Would that be "declared" wars?  Civil wars?  How about kidnappings of 200+ girls by radical terrorists (thank goodness they were released)?  What about increasing sex trade trafficking?  What about chopping Christian heads off on camera?  How about the high number of refugees in boats going to Greece he past few years?  How many did Germany accept last year?  Sweden finally admits that there are neighborhoods the police won't go into and sexual assaults are on the rise.  In Sweden?  Man!

In some ways, we all need a reality check about safety and security. Are the situations really worse, or are we just hearing about them faster, and framed in volatile language to support the various flavors of tinfoil hat being peddled by the media outlets?

There has never been a golden age in all human history. It just took days or weeks or months or years for news to propagate, vs. Milliseconds.  Today, when a US soldier is killed or injured in combat, it is a front page news item on the Internet. A 500 casualty week might be page 3 during the Vietnam war.

Protect yourself,  yes. Lock your doors, yes. Don't do dumb things like buy gas and beer at 3am, yes. Expect the Golden Horde and the Zombie  Apocalypse?  Nahhhh...

Saying you'll be okay because the statistics favor you is the antithesis of prepping. Most people don't have house fires, yet i still have a few fire extinguishers. The supermarket is rarely closed, but i still keep extra food around.

Violence is real, and just because it's not here now, doesn't mean it won't be tomorrow. Complacency kills.

If you find yourself in a WROL situation, get the F**k out of that place. Especially if it's a city.

Keep a go-bag stuffed with whatever you need, medical stuff, some food, water. A pro-mask is a great idea, surplus Israeli and German masks are common, and cheap

A small, concealed firearm is a great idea, but might not be feasible. Some oc/mace and an ASP baton is a very good alternative. Learn how to use them, if you go down that way.

Avoid crowds.

We are still fighting one of the longeat running wars we've ever seen, there is not "less violence" so much as better medical care. Our troops can survive a blast from a huge IED. 150 years ago, a lead ball in your arm was damn near fatal. Tactics also play a huge role, look at WW1.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, zackmars said:

Saying you'll be okay because the statistics favor you is the antithesis of prepping.

@zackmars

I like statistics. I use statistics to plan my Life. I am measured in many things as a man.

The thing is...man is not the measure of Reality. Statistics are the measure of Reality. Statistics are not 'Created '. Reality is created. Statistics are only 'collected'.

Statistically there is less Murder. This is not a failure because it is the result of a choice.

People are choosing not to kill.

Perhaps "thou shalt not kill' does not come with conditions after all and folks are far enough out of kindergarten to know that forgiving this life choice in themselves after taking this choice for life from another was the real murder. 

If the commandment is as it is written.. the justifications for it won't matter.

Or maybe people have extended prepping into choosing the possibility for a next life..based on their choices and actions in this life. Perhaps the antithesis of a prepper is someone who doesn't.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Dan Seven said:

@zackmars

I like statistics. I use statistics to plan my Life. I am measured in many things as a man.

The thing is...man is not the measure of Reality. Statistics are the measure of Reality. Statistics are not 'Created '. Reality is created. Statistics are only 'collected'.

Statistically there is less Murder. This is not a failure because it is the result of a choice.

Perhaps "thou shalt not kill' does not come with conditions after all and folks are far enough out of kindergarten to know that forgiving this life choice in themselves after taking this choice for life from another was the real murder. 

If the commandment is as it is written.. the justifications for it won't matter.

Or maybe people have extended prepping into choosing the possibility for a next life..based on their choices and actions in this life. Perhaps the antithesis of a prepper is someone who doesn't.

Funny that you should mention this, I had to have this same internal dialog after having a pretty serious operation make me feel very vulnerable. I thought about getting a pistol for self defense, but, as a Priest, I had to decide whether or not I wanted to take the responsibility of ending the life processes of another human being, even in self defense. In the end I decided to trust God to protect me, not go places where I know it wasn't going to be safe, keep my eyes and ears open, and take my chances. 

Aquinas,  that's a hard one, for sure.  I have struggled with this, also.  My answer was that protecting innocents from evil was within ordained and man made law.  You are wise to avoid trouble and stay aware!

Tips:  Good deadbolt locks.  3" wood screws where your door hinges meet the door frame and into the striker plate/deadbolt metal surround.  Alarm system.  Pepper spray and or taser.  Maybe even a dog at home!

God bless!

22 hours ago, Dan Seven said:

@zackmars

Statistics will never tell you what side you will fall on.

Just because people are choosing not to kill, doesn't mean its not happening at all. 

"Thou shalt not kill" oh, a bible quote? How's bout this

Luke 22:36

"He said to them, "But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one."

If you want to try to bring the bible into this, we will be here all day, because it has more than one author, none of whome went by the name "Jesus". If you are looking for a religious debate, go elsewhere, but the idea that protecting yourself will stop you from ever seeing the pearly gates is, well, stupid.

If laying around and doing nothing is next level prepping, why prepare for anything? We prepare for what is in front of us, so we don't end up dying a horrible death, be it at the hands of man, or an act of god

2 hours ago, KCM said:

Aquinas,  that's a hard one, for sure.  I have struggled with this, also.  My answer was that protecting innocents from evil was within ordained and man made law.  You are wise to avoid trouble and stay aware!

Tips:  Good deadbolt locks.  3" wood screws where your door hinges meet the door frame and into the striker plate/deadbolt metal surround.  Alarm system.  Pepper spray and or taser.  Maybe even a dog at home!

God bless!

My point is that protecting my loved ones is one thing, but in either case, you have to make a split second decision on what to do, and even if you are cleared by law enforcement or God himself, can you live out your life with that memory, and wonder if there could have been another way. 

• Upvote 1

Yessir.  Tough one.  If everyone put the law of love into their hearts, it wouldn't be a problem. 

@zackmars   Fair enough..

Truth is, i do not need a Bible to tell me that there is a part of me that is trying to do the right thing that goes beyond my thinking, and in fact, seems to go beyond myself. I ignore the thread of this leading at my own peril.

What is that peril?  What is it inside of a man and woman who would allow himself to be beaten unconscious and robbed without the thought of carrying a weapon and using it. This happened to me not long ago...and another attack not long before that that put me in the hospital..again.

What is that peril ?  Clearly some would see me as the ultimate victim, but i am placing my faith in the fact that no man can force me to give up a part of myself that chooses to good rather than harm another, and that is what actually needs protection.

It is protected from evil and violence and weaponization by refusing to give itself up to it. I will never give this part of myself up no matter what the cost to myself. You can call that weak or naive or unrealistic.

Many call it all that is good that comes out of this world, despite the temptations of visiting suffering and pain and death upon others for being too weak to visit the place inside ourselves where suffering and pain take second place to knowing that there is a higher and better part of Ourselves.

The enemy of this knowledge was never ignorance..the enemy was always the fearful and cowardly illusions demanding that we believe this part of us does not exist, to satisfy the guilt of those who have already laid waste to this place in themselves.

I have left the bible out of this. I don't read it it anyway..This conversation is not about religion or politics, but rather what makes a man or woman, for better or for worse....our choice.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Dan Seven said:

@zackmars   Fair enough..

Truth is, i do not need a Bible to tell me that there is a part of me that is trying to do the right thing that goes beyond my thinking, and in fact, seems to go beyond myself. I ignore the thread of this leading at my own peril.

What is that peril?  What is it inside of a man and woman who would allow himself to be beaten unconscious and robbed without the thought of carrying a weapon and using it. This happened to me not long ago...and another attack not long before that that put me in the hospital..again.

What is that peril ?  Clearly some would see me as the ultimate victim, but i am placing my faith in the fact that no man can force me to give up a part of myself that chooses to good rather than harm another, and that is what actually needs protection.

It is protected from evil and violence and weaponization by refusing to give itself up to it. I will never give this part of myself up no matter what the cost to myself. You can call that weak or naive or unrealistic.

Many call it all that is good that comes out of this world, despite the temptations of visiting suffering and pain and death upon others for being too weak to visit the place inside ourselves where suffering and pain take second place to knowing that there is a higher and better part of Ourselves.

The enemy of this knowledge was never ignorance..the enemy was always the fearful and cowardly illusions demanding that we believe this part of us does not exist, to satisfy the guilt of those who have already laid waste to this place in themselves.

I have left the bible out of this. I don't read it it anyway..This conversation is not about religion or politics, but rather what makes a man or woman, for better or for worse....our choice.

You did bring the bible/religion in general, into this, "thou shalt not kill" and the 10 commandments are a large part of a few religions.

Do you want to be a victim? That is the question. Nobody is responsible for your saftey, except you. You want to meet god on your terms, or a random psychopath's? You make your choice, but telling someone that they will be safe just because a few percentage points go a certian way, is not only stupid, it's dangerous.

As for everyone else, owning a gun doesn't mean you are all of a sudden a rampaging death machine, nor does it mean you are ok with killing people.

It means you are willing to protect yourself against someone who is ready to kill, or torture, or rape, to get what they want

12 minutes ago, zackmars said:

It means you are willing to protect yourself against someone who is ready to kill, or torture, or rape, to get what they want

@zackmars..You win ..You pull that trigger and make sure they don't get what they want..and get what you want instead..

Both outcomes look the same from here..then again, you get to meet God your own 'terms', so who am i to say..

It's really simple, We lived on a reservation, we felt safe except from the government, Now My wife and Live in the country very few neighbors. As a matter of fact they are in there 60-70 age range. I really do fear for them, but to be honest I protect my family first before friends and neighbors.  As for lawlessness, once the ammo runs out and the reloads as well we have other means of protection and my wife and I are very well trained to use those methods. 

We both keep prepping for the worst but as anyone knows you cannot prep for everything and I think thats why we are all here to learn from each other. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Dan Seven said:

@zackmars..You win ..You pull that trigger and make sure they don't get what they want..and get what you want instead..

Both outcomes look the same from here..then again, you get to meet God your own 'terms', so who am i to say..

You think me living, and a bad guy killing me for whatever reason is the same thing?

Damn. Thats like, the single most detached thing I've read in a long time.

I've done enough in this life to want to keep living it. 

I misspoke, we all go to god on our own terms. My terms just do not involve being a victim if i can help it. Owning a gun to defend yourself is no different than owning a fire extinguisher, or having a tornado shelter, owning extra food, medicine, etc.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, zackmars said:

You think me living, and a bad guy killing me for whatever reason is the same thing?

Damn. Thats like, the single most detached thing I've read in a long time.

Zackmars it was You who said owning a gun means you are willing to protect yourself against someone who is ready to kill to get what they want (killing). I am saying if you pull the trigger and kill them first You get what You want. An epic battle of wills poised over two different trigger fingers. Whose gonna get what they want?

Why would You pull the trigger without facing the consequences of killing? Your consequences are no different than the perps. You both summon enough hatred in your heart to kill someone else then do it. You both have your justification for doing so. The laws of man will decide on a cage or a medal.

It is detached because the laws of man still pin medals on people's chests for murder and the bigger the slaughter the more they pin on, and in my belief..the higher laws find every murderer despite their pleadings in the same boat. I just will never hate anyone enough to do that to them, and i will have to live with that and quite frankly, to me it is like living without a disease.

I

• Upvote 1

OK!  Back to how to personally prepare for increased lawlessness?

Maybe tomorrow is a good day for some target practice....

5 hours ago, Dan Seven said:

Wow.

Owning a gun and using it to protect yourself doesn't mean the attacker will die.

My wish is to stop the threat, if i shoot and hit the attacker, and he lays down and gives up, thats perfectly fine with me.

If he dies? Well, he made that bed, not me.

I want to live a peaceful life, free of death, crime, and diseases. But life doesn't work that way, neither does man, so i adjust accordingly.

I'm not running around, taking peoples lives, money, or cars, so god forbid if i need to defend myself, i win. God forbid any good person lose their life to some monster.

"Why would You pull the trigger without facing the consequences of killing? Your consequences are no different than the perps."

Are you trolling? Or are you seriously this dense?

The perp wants what he doesn't have, or maybe he's just loco. I just want to go about my day, to my job, to my girlfriend, to my house, stuff that i got through hard work.

I carry a gun, that doesn't mean i used it to get everything i own.

I am fully willing to accept the consequences of using force. I fully accept the consequences of not wanting to bleed out in a parking lot after i get stabbed by a guy who is willing to kill me for my wallet and phone.

You are detached because you seem like a sociopath. Good or bad makes no difference to you. You think someone not wanting die is the same thing as some guy who walk who wants to kill people for a few bucks. You can't separate self defense and murder...

I know a lady who killed a guy trying to rape her.

You want to tell her the same BS you've told me?

Just stop, please.

Edited by zackmars
  • Upvote 1