Survival Threads
KCM

How to Prepare for Increasing Lawlessness

Thinking is good. It doesn't matter about religion or about natural law. It is just my opinion but we each have a right to live. A right to determine for ourselves how we live and what we believe. We hold some validity to the concept of personal property and our right to enjoy it freely. Where does these rights end, in my opinion where they cause harm to another.

I consider myself to have the right to prevent someone from harming me if they are attacking me or to limit the harm they are doing or going to do to me by using what ever appropriate force is necessary and at my disposal. A person holds no more right to harm me than I hold to stop it.

A belief in necro-determinism isn't relevant to a persons rights. All persons hold the same rights to life and liberty until they forfeit those rights by harming others.

• Upvote 2

An old friend (a bouncer), used to say "When it's over there's going to be 2 rides out of here, an ambulance and a police car, and I want to be in the police car."  He was an old school tough guy, still living as far as I know so it worked for him.  I live in what is considered a bad neighbourhood (it has it's moments), and I'd like to stick a security cam or 3 around to prepare for increased lawlessness, thinking that might deter a lot of potential bad guys.

Edited by Rick

I thought this site is about sharing information with other people who are drawn to the homestead/self-sufficient or preparedness lifestyle.  "Ram pumps are awesome.  We report, you decide."

Not a debate group.

Sometimes there is more than one right answer to a question.  Sometimes, I just need to admit I am wrong when I am wrong or just zip it when I know I'm right.  The future holds all truth.

Or, maybe I should just stick to reading.  This kind of nonsense is probably why there are only a handful of active posters and why the Admins started this site:  https://survivalpulse.com/survival-resources/?utm_source=survivalpulse.com&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Survival Pulse%3A Email Newsletter

Survival comes with many aspects. I applaud @zackmars and all those have have waded in here for sticking to their guns and having the courage to examine some pretty tough issues.

The fact is that with these kinds of choices in mind we can prepare ourselves by examining what we are willing to do when push comes to shove, and maybe even 'knowing if I have it in me or not " before making a difficult Survival choice.

Sometimes Survival ends up being 'able to live with' the choices we make for ourselves or not...

Being able to live with our choices is not only necessary for survival it is eminently PRACTICAL.

We need to know where our head and our heart is before taking matters into our own hands

You will not find another forum with people courageous enough to tackle these issues head on and still respect each other in the morning.

Last i checked this thread was titled "How to prepare for increasing lawlessness" and i think we all gave ourselves and the person who started it a hell of a lot to think about..

There are plenty of nuts and bolts articles in here, many of Us have contributed dozens of pages to them. They are open ended..

There are plenty more areas to discuss around homesteading and self sufficiency and i for one welcome these contributions.

• Upvote 4

Dan,

True.  We sure don't want to mislead anyone.  I do appreciate the fact that this group is self-policing.  A person isn't blocked or bounced for offering a differing opinion.  I was a moderator on a night vision group for a while.  I left because the admins blocked or booted people too often and with no warning by PM.  Amerika.

I just read through the thread and figured I would weigh in with my thoughts, as @Dan Seven said- some good food for thought. If nothing else we can agree that despite our collective differences & approach we at least can be civil and discuss them.

With regard to violence and the potential for violence in our society, point by point-

1) Statistics show that we live in a safer society, that said, I don't put much stock in statistics outside of murder due to the onus being on the victim reporting it. I have been attacked in the past and frankly I didn't report it to the cops. Maybe I was wrong but living in the UK- street violence is common, especially on a friday night. Murder is rare however and we should be aware that less murder doesn't mean less violence- just less murder. 

I like to think we as a society have learnt to get along better but in my experience people are nice and polite when everything is going well. Throw in some chaos and you will see things get crazy pretty quickly (my experience on the matter).

2) On the issue of fighting back & the definitions of the act- my stance will echo @zackmars on this, if my family (or myself) is in danger, I will end the threat. "Others" can quibble about the definition, is it murder etc. but I won't give it a second thought. My stance is based on the concept of personal responsibility. I do not go out and look for trouble but if you break into my home, you made a conscious choice and the consequences will be on your head- not mine.  

3) On the religious aspects- please see rules. ;) I know that politics, God etc. can bring up strong sentiments in people but sadly for us as a species we will never know with absolute certainty and this creates a situation where we turn on each other despite all the things we have in common. Toxicity is the bane of all internet forums and I aim to be autocratic on the matter- as @KCM said- we self moderate and do not censor. Having strict rules that apply to everyone regardless of "side" or belief, allows us to not have to censor which makes my life much easier. 

4) On living with our choices- storytime: when I was 15 or 16, I worked at a supermarket part time after school. In the UK with (used to) have an epidemic of anti-social goons called chavs that would pick fights amongst other unsavoury activities. One night walking home from work, I ran into a group of these idiotic li' thugs- they tried to pick a fight with me but I walked away because frankly I was tired and wanted to sleep.

A week later, the local newspaper reported that an Asian girl had been raped in my neighbourhood, the same week I walked away.

I will never know if it was the same gang of idiots but the reality is that if you are passive with predators- they just become more confident. I felt a wave of crushing guilt and I swore on that day I would never turn the other cheek. If I had taken them down a peg (or two) perhaps things would have been different. Maybe it was all unrelated, we will never know (attackers were never found). 

I firmly 100% believe that apathy is cancerous to society, by doing nothing we tacitly give free run to those who may hold contrarian ideals. Much like democracy, it only works if we partake in it. If we want the world to be a better place, we need to stand up and be counted- because those who want to abuse society most certainly do not have any qualms about doing what they want. And thats the crux of the issue.

This is not to say we should go hunting for thugs- but rather when we see something wrong, we act. Even if we risk being put in a questionable situation.

• Upvote 3

Well said!

Now, anyone have any tips on preparing for increasing lawlessness?

1). Stay alert!  Don't text and walk in parkng lots.

2). Practice drawing and holding your pepper spray or whatever you decide to carry.  If it is deep in a pocket or purse and you are hit from behind, can you get to it?  What If they snag your purse?  Maybe they will just run off!

3). When you are about to pee your pants, will you be able to use it?  What if you are in your vehicle?  No time to figure it out, then.  Practice, practice.

4). Do you have good locks on your doors?  Windows are tougher to protect.

5). Lighting around the outside of entrances?  Motion sensor lights are affordable.

6).  Dogs are good alarms.

7). Ya'll jump in for 8, 9, 10...

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, KCM said:

Well said!

Now, anyone have any tips on preparing for increasing lawlessness?

1). Stay alert!  Don't text and walk in parkng lots.

2). Practice drawing and holding your pepper spray or whatever you decide to carry.  If it is deep in a pocket or purse and you are hit from behind, can you get to it?  What If they snag your purse?  Maybe they will just run off!

3). When you are about to pee your pants, will you be able to use it?  What if you are in your vehicle?  No time to figure it out, then.  Practice, practice.

4). Do you have good locks on your doors?  Windows are tougher to protect.

5). Lighting around the outside of entrances?  Motion sensor lights are affordable.

6).  Dogs are good alarms.

7). Ya'll jump in for 8, 9, 10...

Be a cynic. Living in the UK in some pretty impoverished areas in my youth, I realised that tribal loyalty only exists for the winners. The moment things go south- the group will cut tail and run.

In a street fight, its common to think that predatory groups will fight in unison and an individual won't stand a chance but after watching them from my 3rd floor window facing a pretty sketchy pub- groups tend to crowd around the attacker but when the main protagonist gets his ass kicked- they back away. Self-preservation is the only thing we can count on when it comes to human behaviour.

People fear the potential for violence and use the threat of violence to intimidate. If you go on the offensive, they will generally fall apart. Especially with opportunistic thugs. 

• Upvote 1

Fear be gets fear and hate. On the way to work a few years ago I stopped for someone walking out of my neighbours yard. They were stuck. My 87 year old neighbour wasn't answering her door. ( but had called the police ) I called the same police to let them know I'd be a little late coming in, which they said was great as they didn't need to drive out and could phone my neighbour and let her know I was handling it.

I can understand the neighbour being afraid, even if she was the armed one ( rural Saskatchewan, everyone has guns ) but talking ( and a shovel ) was all that it took to defuse that one, he was put out about being ignored. Could have gotten worse just based on assumptions being made.

• Upvote 1

On 2017-5-21 at 7:15 PM, Gary_Gough said:

Fear be gets fear and hate. On the way to work a few years ago I stopped for someone walking out of my neighbours yard. They were stuck. My 87 year old neighbour wasn't answering her door. ( but had called the police ) I called the same police to let them know I'd be a little late coming in, which they said was great as they didn't need to drive out and could phone my neighbour and let her know I was handling it.

I can understand the neighbour being afraid, even if she was the armed one ( rural Saskatchewan, everyone has guns ) but talking ( and a shovel ) was all that it took to defuse that one, he was put out about being ignored. Could have gotten worse just based on assumptions being made.

True that Gary, I going from 1 to a hundred because of a hunch is a bad idea.

With that said, Canada is super friendly and definitely the safest place I have ever lived in. In my experience you can walk pretty much anywhere at any time safe in the knowledge that shit won't go south. Its pretty remarkable. 

Post Restated:

How to prepare for increasing lawlessness even though President Trump is sending illegal gang members back to their home country, Allepo is a rubble heap, people are being run down by trucks and kid's concerts are being interrupted by explosive vests...

Answer:  If ypu can own a gun, either legally or otherwise, buy a good gun cleaning kit!  Especially a black powder gun! That will make you feel good and Zackmars happy!  Now, for Dan Seven.  Hmmm...

Statistics show that clean weapons function better than dirty weapons and clean weapons will therefore lower crime rates!  Therefore, we prevented increasing lawlessness!  This post is now officially useless!

Thank you, sir!

😎

Edited by KCM

On 6/12/2017 at 8:32 PM, zackmars said:

Black powder is best powder, unless you are the one cleaning the gun...

Hot, soapy water!  Don't let the Mrs. see the sink until you are done cleaning up the  mess!

• Upvote 2

"Watching trends in the news (over time) makes me wonder if prepping for lawlessness should be my highest priority.  It would encompass many skills.  How can we best tailor preps to our unique environment and then prepare for daily life?"

Cyber security tips?

Home security tips?

Situational awareness tips?

Self-defense tips?

Edited by KCM

Folks, please remember the rules you agreed to when you signed up, specifically the ones concerning political or religious speech.

We all have different opinions and discussing the preps regarding political, financial or social instability is perfectly fine but the moment it strays into an us vs them or good guys vs (arbitrary) bad guys, the post will be moderated.

• Upvote 1