Survival Threads

Here's an example of what I've been saying. Average guy trying to have a peaceful and fun hike and gets disrupted and approached by two hostile and likely drunk men, he tries to diffuse and deescalate the situation, but the two men continue to impede his travel and infringe on his freedom of movement, guaranteed to him by The Human Rights Declaration. Rather than turning his back and risking being a victim, he quickly assesses the situation and uses reasonable force to prevent bodily harm and defends himself. 

7 hours ago, traditionalhunter88 said:

I think Dan needs to visit Chicago, NYC, Manhattan, The Bronx, LA or New Jersey, which are all conflict zones and see the reality that one cannot easily escape a threat or conflict. 

Been to all those Cities multiple times. I think You are missing something about me. Why would i have to visit these places for a reality check when any one of over 800 clients in my grief and trauma database call me up from one of those places ?

They are not coming to me to tell me nice bedtime Stories.

I have clients from all those cities and most are from the US, but in truth are all over the world.

The US has it a lot better than a lot of other Countries i have visited, so if You think Chicago is rough, i can name a few others far worse.

I am thinking that going over and over about getting beat up takes up a disproportionate amount of your attention.

If you wanna know what is probably going to kill you (if you can lay off your proclivity for teaching disadvantaged folks a lesson in being less prepared than you are) then take a look at the following graph. Numbers don't lie.

My advice is to spend Your time prepping where it is going to provide the best return on the mortality risk chart..not the least.

Stop putting this probability at the top of the list because it is damn near at the bottom. You are insulting everyone's intelligence. You wanna go make it happen, because You can't help it.. go ahead, i am not going to stop You, but here are the facts about how We are going to die.

leading_causes_of_death_0.png

You miss my point. The point I made was that situations occur and it's better to defend yourself than be a victim. I never once said it's high probability, What I have said and been saying is it's a reality. The chance of such risks is far less that war or more recently, The Ukrainian Conflict, but it does happen. Speaking of graphs and charts.

I'm old and given to crankiness and ill temper. Perhaps i am just waiting around till they develop the technology to send me to the surface of the sun.. so bear with me..

Some people don't have the option of fighting back, through no fault of their own.

So..even for them I ain't gonna join no posse and buy a Glock and 'go clean up the streets' anytime soon.

I pay taxes so that Cops can do that for me. (and 62 cents per month for 911 on my cellphone)

So why don't you let them worry about it..don't trust the cops?

Police have a broader job. HRS is only for High Risk situations. My Job starts when there's suspicion by my client of being raped, assaulted, kidnapped or stolen from. Police respond, they don't prevent. It's not my job to "clean up the streets.''. I protect my clients and friends. That's it.

1 hour ago, traditionalhunter88 said:

You miss my point. The point I made was that situations occur and it's better to defend yourself than be a victim. I never once said it's high probability, What I have said and been saying is it's a reality. The chance of such risks is far less that war or more recently, The Ukrainian Conflict, but it does happen. Speaking of graphs and charts.

Everything You write about is about "Defending Yourself" and Your Gun Rights to do so. 

It's the only point you ever try to make..i ain't missing nothin..

Do You see a Forum here called "Street Survival ?" I don't.

If that is your idea of survival I don't need to know about it.

Guys like Jeff Cooper and Bill Jordan set the bar for taking care of the bad guys, but without packing guns like they did, (and even that expandable club, taser, bear spray is illegal in Canada), the other options like avoidance and de-escalation have to come into play.  I believe that when you really need a gun, nothing else will do, but despite only police and criminals carrying guns on the street the crime rates here in Canada compare favourably with other countries.   The initial post was about who carries generalised  or multiple weaponry or knows martial arts, and not specifically firearms.  A lot of homes in Canada have a baseball bat handy to the bed, and those people haven't hit a ball since they were kids.  You don't have to be a great fighter to use that.  I don't believe in gun culture as an answer to crime, but secretly would like to fit my cane with one of those Thompson Center Contender barrels that takes .410 and .45 Long Colt interchangably.

Edited by Rick

Staying on topic!  Yaaay!  I just had a great idea!  Besides my knife, I can hang a baseball glove on a baseball bat and carry that with me!  Legal.  I can buy it on Amazon.  Great intimidation factor!  And.....we can play baseball when the SHTF!

I really do keep a baseball bat handy...

I"ve had to point a gun at a man half a dozen times in my life. Cops are never around when  you need one. Anyone who maintains otherwise is just a fool.

On 6/10/2017 at 11:52 AM, traditionalhunter88 said:

Here's an example of what I've been saying. Average guy trying to have a peaceful and fun hike and gets disrupted and approached by two hostile and likely drunk men, he tries to diffuse and deescalate the situation, but the two men continue to impede his travel and infringe on his freedom of movement, guaranteed to him by The Human Rights Declaration. Rather than turning his back and risking being a victim, he quickly assesses the situation and uses reasonable force to prevent bodily harm and defends himself. 

you've got them down, now stomp them into wheelchairs for life.  Then they 'll never again attack anyone. Too bad you can't also tattoo their foreheads,  "I attacked somebody".

Of course those are actors but here's some hormone candy for you, look at this Mormon in Brazil; he takes the robber's gun away and throws it on the roof then beats the chicken soup out of him.

TraditionalHunter88 I'm with you - you are right on track. I see every day on the news people being beaten and assaulted simply for not sharing the same beliefs as their antagonists, or voting for someone they do not like. I am past my prime time, but I will not be an easy victim of scumbags either. But aside from all that pacifist run and hide - let someone else deal with it(resulting in the next person that comes along becoming victim) nonsense that Dan is spouting - You sparked a conversation about non-lethal self-defense devices and if I remember it correctly asked how many others carry non-lethal in addition to lethal, and if so, what type? Funny how that conversation led to where it did... Anyway, I believe it foolish and naive NOT to have some form of self-defense tool close at hand or on your person when out and about. As a young man in the early 80's I worked construction in Texas after I got out of the Air Force. I worked in very tough neighborhoods, saw numerous shootings and stabbings, was shot myself in a road rage incident. I have always owned guns, but I did not carry one back then because I was afraid if I did I would end up killing someone and risk going to prison because of some idiot I didn't even know. - I think differently now. Sorry - getting off track - my point is, I carried a short piece of heavy chain in my boot, pocket, or around my waist as a belt. I never had to actually use it, but I do remember two occasions I had to pull it out and assume a defensive "come and get it" stance which discouraged them from robbing me as they intended to do. In most cases, I think intimidation is enough to ward off most bad guys. So the display of some kind of weapon and the willingness to use it - lethal or not, is often enough to protect you. Knives? you better be good at knife fighting if your gonna pull a knife on someone - not as easy as hollywood make it look. Stun gun? not sure. again - Texas, mid 80's - A woman stabbed a guy in the leg - got his femeral ? artery.  She tried to run away, but a bouncer and I grabbed her and held her down till the cops got there, and she was a handful. While doing so here friend zapped us several times with a stun gun. While it was not a pleasant experience, it sure wasn't that big of deal - not enough to thwart an assault. Maybe there are more powerful ones out there or maybe the batteries were low - I don't know, but I would not trust one for self-defense. I am familiar with pepper spray - we call it bear spray here in Montana. In my opinion, there is not a better weapon for close range self-defense. As much as I really, really hate to say it...even better than a gun. We can openly carry here in Big Sky country so I practice that right, but I usually have a big can of bear spray close at hand.  Though I have never carried one, I think the tactical pen, as someone previously suggested would be a great weapon to carry in a shirt pocket - judging from what I have read about them. Sorry for being so long-winded.

The Only Thing Necessary For The Triumph Of Evil Is For Good Men To Do Nothing -  Edmund Burke

Edited by Shane
left out an important word